cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE - Phone Compatibility (Community members test results)

softech
Oracle
Oracle

It's great VoLTE is finally here!!

Many Community members have confirmed their phones are working but some are not.

Here is a summary I have kept.  Reply this post and I will try to update this first post as I see more
and thanks all for sharing

[update: stopping tagging contributing users as Too many users mentioned. You can @mention only 15 user(s) in a post.]

Working well 

Google Pixel 4XL     @Karnbot13 Link 
Google Pixel 6a.       @wetcoaster Link 
Google Pixel 7          @computergeek541   Link
Google pixel 7 Pro   @Karnbot13  Link 
iPhone 8+                 @hycm53    Link     * US roaming works as well
iPhone 12                @Luddite   Link   
iPhone 13                 @hTideGnow  Link 
iPhone 14                 @LitlLdy  Link          * iOS 16.4
iPhone XR                @Luddite  Link   
Moto E6                     mtnuser    Link 
Motorola G Play 2021 @Kristowhy   Link 
Motorola G Pure      @farmbot Link 
POCO X4 Pro 5G     @Gerry_P Link
Samsung A32 5G      @dust2dust  Link 
Samsung S20 FE      @computergeek541    Link 
Samsung S8+          @BKNS27  Link 
Samsung S9             @BKNS27 Link 
Ulefone Armor x5     @illogique   Link 
Umidigi Bison (2021)  @wetcoaster  Link   *Android 11

Still Working on it

Google Pixel 2          @computergeek541   Link
Google pixel 3a          @DennyCrane Link 
Google Pixel 3a XL     @alexs20 Link 
iPhone SE (2016)        @hairbag1 Link 
Motorola One 5g Ace @Cowboy1968 Link 
Motorola G (3rd Gen)  @computergeek541   Link
Motorola G4 Plus          mtnuser    Link 
Motorola G Play 2021 @Kristowhy  Link       * Koodo prepaid works but not PM
Motorola G Power       @RJR    Link 
OnePlus 9 Pro             @JoyceG Link 
Samsung A13 Pro       @lubmar Link 
Samsung  A32 (A325M DS) @PRJLNW Link 
Samsung A71              @Mister_E  Link
Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018)     @computergeek541   Link
Samsung S10               @dcliveca    Link 
Samsung S10+               @dcliveca    Link 
Samsung S10e            @rbcam @Link 
Samsung S20FE (international version G7810)   @fx50fh Link 
Samsung S20FE              @dcliveca    Link 
Samsung S7 Edge       @hTideGnow  Link 
Samsung S9                 @Leafsfanatic Link 
Sony Xperia X22          @Karnbot13 Link 
Ulefone Armor X7 Pro     mtnuser    Link 
Umidigi A13 pro           @will13am   Link    **Worked briefly but no longer working
Unihertz Titan Pocket   @IRJ01  Link   *Android 11

68 REPLIES 68

Shan_Bhai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can you please share the apn settings that you are using?

G_Pomzz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

A 2018 Umidigi F1 was working fine but recently MMS stopped working. I just had to update APN settings and all was good again 👍🏻

Shan_Bhai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public Mobile:
VOLTE works with POCO X3 NFC 😃
VOLTE does not work with POCO F2 PRO ☹️

@MrMetzger 

Sorry, no words  😞 Just hope it will come

and don't loss faith, keep testing VoLTE , maybe you will be surprised one day

MrMetzger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi @softech . Any word if they're going to be adding more phones to the volte compatible list? It doesn't seem to have changed much since they rolled it out. I'm personally interested in S10e compatibility. Thank you 🙂

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech I have an update about my stepdaughters iPhone 11. It currently has the most recent updates and has been restarted. Still no VoLTE for it or the Sony XZ2

mtnuser
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Moto E6 works.

Moto G4 Plus does not work; as expected

Ulefone Armor X7 Pro does not work

@Kristowhy 

updated for the Moto G Play.  Thanks

Kristowhy

@rbcam looks like your account is not enabled yet or device is not whitelisted.  It should say "Registered" when VoLTE is working with your device.

rbcam

@Kristowhy  - thanks for that. Unfortunately, neither method works on my Samsung S10e. There is no "IMS registration" under SIM status, and the code tries to make a normal phone call. ☹️

I have been using an app called VoLTE Check, which seems to be able to bring up the phone info screen that *#*#4636#*#* does on your phone. It does have "IMS Service Status" in the 3-dot menu. For me this reports "Not Registered"

Kristowhy

@rbcam wrote:

Hi @Kristowhy  - what method do you use to check IMS registration?

Settings --> About Phone --> SIM status

IMS registration is at the bottom.

Or by using the dialer *#*#4636#*#*

Then tap Phone Information

Then tap 3 vertical dots top right choose IMS Service Status

rbcam

Hi @Kristowhy  - what method do you use to check IMS registration?

Kristowhy

@softech 

UPDATE: 

The Moto G Play 2021 device you have listed is now working on VoLTE.  IMS registration is good and status indicators remain on LTE through all calls.  Hopefully it lasts! 😉   The same device over on Koodo still not registered. ☹️

Edit: No emails or text messages received from PM about VoLTE.  Discovered this only from my frequent checking of IMS registration

@chipmunk 

try disabling 5g then reset your network settings again and then turn off the device and remove the SIM for 5 min, then reinstall and power it up. if it's still not working you'll have to talk to customer support to reactivate it

chipmunk

So I managed to wreck my Pixel 6a (long story...) and while waiting for the replacement ("unlocked" from BestBuy) I put the SIM card into my old Pixel 3a... BAD idea!

VoLTE was active on the previous 6a.

No VoLTE on the 3a. Otherwise everything worked well. (The SIM has been in this phone for 1.5 years before I switched to the 6a...)

The SIM has been in the new 6a (all OS and apps are up-to-date) for a week now. Even after multiple restarts / SIM reseating / network reset / playing with settings etc (in all possible variations) there's no VoLTE on the new Pixel 6a. Put my friend's dog brand SIM into the phone, VoLTE worked immediately and flawlessly.

Whick implies that somehow the phone swap to a phone, that is not on Public Mobile's official list , has deactivated the VoLTE function on the SIM / account??

Really, Public Mobile?!?!? Why can't it be just simple? For you and for us: If VoLTE is active on the account / SIM, just let us use any phone that has the VoLTE feature. This is a BYOD provider, no? So, why the restrictions??

Kristowhy

@dust2dust wrote:

Ok sure. One of the phones in the house is a fully Canadian Samsung A32 5G that just got volte today.

Congrats...time to break out the bubbly!  🎉 🎊  Yet another working device that's not on PM's "list".  😉  But is on the Koodo list..

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Ok sure. One of the phones in the house is a fully Canadian Samsung A32 5G that just got volte today.

@softech 

Sorry, I was busy with my new modem. Had to reinstall all devices, dashcam, security monitor etc and forgot to confirm on previous post.

Yes, confirmed VoLTE is working on the Samsung S8 plus.

@softech 

I know you're trying to give customers an idea of what will work and what won't, but lists will never be complete.  Telus's own databases have some device missing and/or there are mistake in the compatibility databases.  I recall a situation that Telus's website informed me that the Nokia E73 was compabile with the network. That device has neeither band 2 nor band 5 for 3G.  

Works for VoLTE:

Pixel 7

Not working for VoLTE (at least from my testing):

Moto G (3rd Generation)

Pixel 2

Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018)

The Big 3 (tier 1) providers started VoLTE the same way years ago, only selected phones sold by them are VoLTE compatible...to their networks.  They opened up the network now to a much bigger selection of phones and now including phones not sold by them

I see PM could be doing the same thing now.  Maybe to avoid the mass move over to VoLTE overnight.  Again, I don't see it keeping this list forever.  The list will expand and most phones will be Compatible to not just VoLTE but compatible to PM's VoLTE at some points 

We've seen it mentioned here that AT&T just simply cancelled accounts that didn't get an LTE phone.

Their use of the term compatible is misleading. My phone is "compatible". It works with a volte provider. volte is volte. It's that they are choosing to restrict devices however they wish.

I am pretty sure PM will loosen up the list eventually,  maybe a complete open up,  or at a minimum,  majority of the "relaible" brands or "last 3 years" phones will be on the compatible list.   Not sure when, but worst case when it is closer to the sunset of 3G network

Especially with PM, it is a prepaid provider and basically a fully BYOD model, I don't see it changing it to a BYO(PM)D model after the sunset.  (I don't see PM forcing people to buy PM approved CPO phones as a requirement to join or stay with PM)

So, I guess patience is the key and it will be rewarded soon  🙂

thanks @rbcam 

I will properly remove it from the Good list if three is no firm confirmation from @BKNS27 

rbcam

@softech  In the latest message from @BKNS27 it seems to say three things:

- the toggle to enable/disable VoLTE is present in Settings 

- the phones "show LTE" - but no indication of under what circumstances

@BKNS27 said he/she didn't know how to check whether VoLTE is working

On a Samsung phone, it seems like the easiest way to check whether VoLTE is working is:

- turn off WiFi

- make a voice call

- see whether the network status stays at LTE (good) or changes to 4G or 3G (bad)

@softech- That is something an internal tech warned me could happen after I said that some people were seeing it enabled that aren't on any list. They could retract it.

Adding - @farmbot - I would theorize that those other phones would not work. I believe it's the device that gets enabled, not the account.

farmbot

I meant it,moto G Pure> will work as its on Publicmobile store.

It better or false advertising.

I just got provisioned today.

I will leave sim card in moto G Pure for a few days..

Then swap it out and see if my Ulefone and Blackview "obscure" brands work on VoLTE.

On my end VoLTE not stable yet.  connection time to make call varies but always on Volte on moto G Pure.

Testing for now

@farmbot wrote:

Moto G Pure in southern Alberta now live VoLTE

A couple of reboots

Voila   ✔️

@farmbot   I thought you confirmed it works VoLTE 2 weeks ago already 🙂

@rbcam wrote:

@computergeek541 The list above is pretty consistent with the list at https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte. I think the inclusion of a Samsung S8+ and S9 on the list of working phones is an error.

@BKNS27 just to confirm, your S8+ and S9 still working well with VoLTE?  Kindly check

As I said, my S21 US version could work with VoLTE couple days and then no longer working.  So, PM could close the loophole and block out phones 

@rbcam- That's basically what an internal agent told me. It's not about technical capability. It's them limiting devices that they'll enable volte on. Sucks. I mean, there's a ZTE on the list that shouldn't even be being sold in Canada. And some low-level cheap brand TCL's. I mean really. But my international Samsung...go away.

rbcam

@oldandgrumpy I'm not too surprised the A52 5G worked as well. The PM TS agent told me that PM requires 5G support in the phone for VoLTE. Of course, VoLTE doesn't really require 5G. I strongly suspect that Telus has made the decision to offer minimal VoLTE support on PM, to try to drive PM customers to Koodo or Telus itself.

Need Help? Let's chat.