cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volte on OnePlus 9 Peo

JoyceG
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a OnePlus 9 Pro which supports Volte, yet it's not on the list of Volte available phones. Can it be added, and if not, why not?

34 REPLIES 34

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Like I said...gong show.

@sheytoon- the proper direction of "supported" should be the phone, not the provider. Flip the switch. Oh your phone doesn't do standard volte? Oh well.

It should not be the provider anointing phones with the ability.

LOL, oh boy

@sheytoon wrote:

Really? Hmmm... maybe US unbranded software doesn't have a specific profile for PM. Is VoLTE working on that phone?

@sheytoon   this is even funnier

PM enabled the profile very early.  I am certain it works.  But either PM kicks me out (don't know when) or I was playing my sim card with another phones, I put it back and it is no longer registered on IMS.  I am now trying to reboot daily and hope it will be registered back again

Really? Hmmm... maybe US unbranded software doesn't have a specific profile for PM. Is VoLTE working on that phone?

@sheytoon   

The Service provider software version will change with a different sim?

why my phone (got from US, unlocked) still get the XAA (US unbramded)  software even the PM sim card there?

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

No worries, and I hope you are able to get it working on a supported phone 🙂

@sheytoon- I'm sorry. My being combative is towards Telus. Absolutely not you.

This is a dual sim phone. They seem difficult to find in Canada. It works perfectly fine for everything this place offers and the volte works for a US provider. The volte functionality is there.  Telus doesn't seem to want to turn on the option.

Not sure why you're so combative, I'm just trying to explain the problem.

I tried 3 SIMs on a Samsung phone just now which has older software. This was originally a "Bell phone". VoLTE works with Bell SIM and Telus SIM, but not with PM SIM. But when I move the SIM to a newer phone like a Pixel 5a or Samsung on recent software, VoLTE works fine.

See how the software version changes slightly depending on the SIM inserted? Samsung is VERY particular with how they enable features on different networks. That's why every Samsung phone forces you to reboot when you change SIM cards to a different provider. The software loads the proper carrier profile that Samsung wants. The Indian firmware could be another wrench in the mix, but I don't know how that impacts it to be honest.

BMC = BellBMC = BellTLS = TelusTLS = TelusPMB = Public MobilePMB = Public Mobile

We've already established that the list they are working off of is not complete. Do you happen to know if your account has been upgraded yet? That text should have said that they'll be upgrading you regardless, but to warn you that your device may not be compatible once they do. If they're wrong, they when you're upgraded your phone should hopefully work without issue, regardless of the fact that the text said your device wasn't compatible. 

I hate to break it to you, but I'm confident there's no conspiracy or malice intended here. 

@sheytoon- You're then going to say that all bets are off. It's an international phone with an India firmware.

Screenshot_20230329-170140_Settings.jpg

The US service I have turns on the volte toggle and shows IMS registered. It's an MVNO that runs on T-Mobile who as you know are our roaming partner.

Can you go to settings, about phone, software information... what does it say for "service provider software version"?

@DennyCrane- No, the text says my phone is not compatible. It's a lie.

It sounds like your line just hasn't been upgraded yet. Does that text give a date? I can't recall if it just says "soon" or whether it had a specific date. 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon- I don't have a Telus sim. So would you like to see it change? Or not.

@DennyCrane- I don't have another phone to try. I have a US service sim in the phone that works on volte. I got the non-compatible text and the Telus IMEI says not compatible. It's all lies.

If you use another phone does it work? It sounds like your line just hasn't come up in the rotation yet. Unless of course that sim does have VoLTE on other devices you've tried?

Check the software version of your Samsung when a PM SIM is inserted and compare it to a Telus SIM. Is it exactly the same build?

@sheytoon- I have a Samsung. Volte works on it. No patch required. Why won't they flip the switch for it? What does Telus have to do with it? It works already. But they deny volte on it. It makes no sense.

Adding - it's IN EFFECT equivalent to a blacklist/whitelist situation.

I see still lots of education required before some people to believe no such blacklsit existed.  Sad

Ok so for phones that are sold by Telus, such as iPhones, Telus did previously ask that Apple only enable VoLTE for Telus branded SIM cards, then later Telus and Koodo, and now finally they're asking for Telus, Koodo and PM SIMs.

My suspicion is Apple isn't going to go back and release software patches for really old devices. Something like an iPhone 6s is way too old and Apple isn't doing development for it any more. It will likely never get VoLTE enabled on PM. That is a business decision initially made by Telus, and the long term impact is being felt now.

But that is very different than a Telus blacklist.

Same idea for Samsung and Pixel phones. There is joint development between Telus and the device manufacturer and newer devices are getting VoLTE enabled for PM.

OnePlus is different because it's a grey market device that has no involvement from Telus on feature enablement. VoLTE should work on all SIMs.

@sheytoon- There has to be. My phone can do volte. They selectively say it isn't compatible. This is evidently a lie. Or they have a 'list' that they choose to not allow devices.

@sheytoon 

thanks for confirming.   But many members still belive PM purposely blocking phones on VoLTE

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

It should work once VoLTE is provisioned on your account. There's no blacklist or whitelist for blocking VoLTE for certain devices.

@DennyCrane- I'm going to disagree with how easy it all sounds. Some are getting the go ahead text and still having trouble. Some are getting the not compatible text and working. Some are getting nothing and working or not.

My phone IS technically compatible but the company is not allowing my phone to use volte. They're being intentionally selective for whatever their malicious reasons are.

The Telus thing and the text say incompatible. It IS though.

This is a gong show as shown by the number of users having trouble with the complications and contradictions.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

To be clear, the device compatibility list doesn't dictate whether you have access to VoLTE. It's just a list that tries to help you determine if your phone will be compatible when your account finally does get updated to provide VoLTE access. If you already know your phone is compatible you can ignore the list altogether. 

VoLTE access is being phased in user batches over the next couple of months. The transition started about a month ago.

@Kristowhy   Well that's even crazier that PM is selling devices on it's own website that are "supposedly" not VoLTE compatible.  Honestly, this amount of confusion around this is issue is unacceptable!  JMO..

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech speaking of CPO devices, check out all the Samsung PM CPO devices.  None of the Samsung devices are listed as being VoLTE compatible!  Yet the Koodo list has them all listed.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone-section

Expand the specs for each device to see.

Kristowhy

@softech I hope you are right about things opening up.  The realist side of me doesn't feel that optimistic, however.  Carriers would rather sell you a new/CPO device while minimizing their support costs/resources.  Yes 3G/HSPA is going away but it's not sunsetting until 2025, so lots of time for frustrated users to bite the bullet and upgrade their device to something "compatible"...whatever that means. 😂😁

@Kristowhy  fyi, we just tested Telus IMEI check, it is not 100% reliable, too. Same, phones showing incompatible ended up able to use VoLTE there.  I think all Telus IMEI check there is to confirm if the phone is a Canadian model, if it is not, it will say NO right a way

PM just rolled out VoLTE for a month.  I would expect they will open up the whitelist.  Afterall, they need that if they are killing the 3G network.

Kristowhy

@softech wrote:

@JoyceG   there are just too many phones out there and PM cannot have a list with all phones there

Some already confirmed their phones not on the list but volte is working on their model on PM network.  So, try it out yourself

@softech I agree with you 100% about there being too many phones.  The problem is that there isn't any defined official messaging stating that only X listed devices are supported.  Koodo, PM and Telus all have different lookup tools/FAQ docs.  And as you mentioned, there are confirmations of things working on devices not on the lists.  I have also personally seen devices enabled on VoLTE for a short while and then lose IMS registration.

At the moment, it feels to me that IMEI and model # whitelisting is being utilized.  Until something concrete is made available this forum is going to be filled with compatibility posts.  I wonder if a CCTS complaint is possible if Telus/PM denies a user VoLTE access when their device is in fact compatible. 🤔

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte-koodo-prepaid

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

fx50fh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

telus has an IMEI checker for what phones are supported by their network, as for reason why is your phone not support is likely because VOLTE is a messy thing for alll carriers and they just dont do it all

Need Help? Let's chat.