cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE - Phone Supports it, PM Disagrees

IRJ01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I own a Unihertz Titan Pocket, running Android 11. It is fully capable of Voice-over-LTE, and I believe I have enabled it as such. However, I get regular texts from Public Mobile, claiming over and over again that my phone does NOT support VoLTE, and sure enough, when calling, my phone dips DOWN to 3G. Looking at the site, there appears to be a whitelist of phones, so that could be the issue. But my knowledge of Android is limited, so I may have screwed up the settings. There's also the matter that my SIM has been in a phone before my Titan Pocket - a Nokia 3310 3G, which very much did NOT support 4G VoLTE. Maybe the SIM still thinks it's in a 3G phone (even though I get 4G data on my current phone)

I have three questions:
1) What are the settings needed to enable VoLTE in Android, for reference?
2) Would getting a new SIM make it more likely that my phone is recognized as a 4G phone with VoLTE capability?
3) Is there a way to add a phone onto the whitelist, if there is a whitelist?

19 REPLIES 19

@polarfog wrote:

I have the same settings as yours, and the APN is sp.mb.com, but the VoLTE isn't working.

APN settings are unrelated to VoLTE.

polarfog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the same settings as yours, and the APN is sp.mb.com, but the VoLTE isn't working.

Screenshot (1).jpgScreenshot (2).jpg

G_Pomzz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Screenshot_2023-09-23-10-58-11-037_com.android.phone~2.jpg

 POCO X4 Pro 5G

Hi @polarfog Poco phone is not on PM list of volte compatibility list

polarfog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Gerry_P, I’m also using a Poco phone, but it drops to the 3G network when I make phone calls. I turned off the carrier check of VoLTE and VoWiFi. Do you have any ideas about VoLTE settings?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

In Telus I trust >>> in Ottawa I trust.  The latter is always digging deeper and deeper in my pocket.  #government greed.  

I am tired of reading the ongoing attacks myself.

It is true Telus is not offering service for  $2.50US for 30 days, but can anyone tell me which Canadian provider offering that for Canadians? 

If no other provider doing that's how is that just a greed from one single provider?  Shouldn't the protest be outside the Parliament Building instead of at 510 West Georgia Street. Vancouver,??

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dust2dust wrote:

Welcome to the malicious ways of Telus/Public. They greedily want to control the devices that are allowed to use volte. Don't like it? Buy one of our phones. Greed.

I pay an average of $2.50US for 30 days of US service (paid annually). It has volte and vowifi. Tell me again how Canadian providers aren't gouging and greedy and controlling.

But you have to reside in the US to get that cheap service.  That is a huge cost.  Not to defend any carrier brand here, but are you not tired of complaining about Public Mobile at every opportunity but continually support the service in every which way?  

@Gerry_P- Still rather see the other screen when you make a call as mentioned in your other thread.

Gerry_P
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My phone, POCO X4 Pro 5G, is not on the list of approved phones for VoLTE,

Screenshot_2023-04-04-17-45-31-384_com.wilysis.cellinfolite-edit.jpg

but calls are going through on the LTE+ Band 2 network. 

@IRJ01 wrote:

The SIM is from 2019, when I came to Canada in the first place. It's not THAT long ago… is it?

If the SIM works for any other of your services (included voice calls on the 3G network) there's really no need to replace it. 

Edited to add: I use it in a Umidigi Bison, Android 11.

My SIM has been in use for the past 6 years, VoLTE works flawlessly since it has been turned on on my account.

IRJ01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The SIM is from 2019, when I came to Canada in the first place. It's not THAT long ago… is it?

@hycm53- Or within range anyway. 🙂 Continental US, Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands. Range can be upwards to 20 miles or 30 klicks or thereabouts.

@dust2dust wrote:

@hycm53- Are you off the ship now? Are you willing to try to connect manually to AT&T and see if it lets you?

I'm not off yet. I will try it when I'm off on Friday. But keep reminder me please😀

@hycm53- Are you off the ship now? Are you willing to try to connect manually to AT&T and see if it lets you?

@Kristowhy wrote:

@IRJ01 how old is this SIM?  Sounds like your SIM is probably quite a few years old given the old Nokia device it came from.   If it were me, I would swap to a new SIM card.  Do you know if your account has VoLTE provisioned?

4G, LTE or VoLTE works on phone hardware not on sim card therefor no need to swap a new card.  I current use the 4 years old sim card on my iPhone 8 Plus since I have joint PM 4 years ago. iPhone 8 Plus's VoLTE works great as I'm in the State. By the way I had used same 4 years old sim card in Ausus Zenfone 4 max till Sept last year.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@IRJ01 wrote:

I own a Unihertz Titan Pocket, running Android 11. It is fully capable of Voice-over-LTE, and I believe I have enabled it as such. However, I get regular texts from Public Mobile, claiming over and over again that my phone does NOT support VoLTE, and sure enough, when calling, my phone dips DOWN to 3G. Looking at the site, there appears to be a whitelist of phones, so that could be the issue. But my knowledge of Android is limited, so I may have screwed up the settings. There's also the matter that my SIM has been in a phone before my Titan Pocket - a Nokia 3310 3G, which very much did NOT support 4G VoLTE. Maybe the SIM still thinks it's in a 3G phone (even though I get 4G data on my current phone)

I have three questions:
1) What are the settings needed to enable VoLTE in Android, for reference?
2) Would getting a new SIM make it more likely that my phone is recognized as a 4G phone with VoLTE capability?
3) Is there a way to add a phone onto the whitelist, if there is a whitelist?

If your current phone (Unihertz Titan Pocket) supports 4G or LTE and get message that mentions your phone is OK for VoLTE from PM , then you don't need a new sim card. Because 4G or LTE works on phone hardware not on sim card.

Kristowhy

@IRJ01 in settings then network & internet go into the your mobile network and there should/may be a VoLTE toggle.  Make sure it's set to ON.  Other then that, your PM account must have VoLTE turned on.  Telus is currently in the process of gradually enabling all legacy users pre Feb 2023.  The fact your are getting texts saying your device is not compatible suggests to me they are checking IMEI and that your account may have VoLTE turned on...maybe.

Kristowhy

@IRJ01 how old is this SIM?  Sounds like your SIM is probably quite a few years old given the old Nokia device it came from.   If it were me, I would swap to a new SIM card.  Do you know if your account has VoLTE provisioned?

Need Help? Let's chat.