cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data talk & text

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

Today I bought $30 US data, talk & text for 15 days when I arrived at the U.S. After one or two minutes T- Mobile showed up on the screen. I checked iPhone 8 Plus settings, the "VoLTE" was showed up. But  there's no "VoLTE" on the iPhone 8 Plus yesterday only "LTE".

I tried make a call, it went very smooth. Internet speed is very fast.

So far so good!

13 REPLIES 13

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

Thanks....I'm hoping the only reason pm is rejecting your 6s is the age of the phone because as it stands my 2 main phones (A3 and g7+) have been deemed not compatible along with my "camera" (pixel 3). My pixel 4's battery isn't sufficient enough to be a "phone" used on a daily basis.

I won't be very happy if my phones are rejected out of an attempt for me to "upgrade" my phones. But of course I will keep any displeasure to myself and the appropriate channels of recourse because pm is "Great!" Like Tony the Tiger says.......🐯!

@maximum_gato wrote:

@LitlLdy 

Do we know if pm is picking and choosing or if they even have that ability? If you put your Sim card in your 6s does VoLTE work since your account is provisioned for it? (I'm still waiting?)

@maximum_gato , you likely missed some of my posts. My 6s won’t work for VoLTE with PM but will & does with other carriers. Apple tech support also verified VoLTE is compatible for my 6s but only if the carrier allows it to on their network!

Edit: No, when putting the SIM card back into my 6s VoLTE will not work on PM for that phone.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

Do we know if pm is picking and choosing or if they even have that ability? If you put your Sim card in your 6s does VoLTE work since your account is provisioned for it? (I'm still waiting?)

@maximum_gato , Apple tech support said VoLTE didn’t show for her iPhone 11 but works for VoLTE, stayed on LTE for calls & no VoLTE toggle in settings.

The newest software update on my iPhone 14 Pro added to Cellular Data Options Voice & Data “5G Auto & 5G On”! Still has LTE & 3G. It also added to Data Mode “Allow More Data on 5G & Standard”, still has Low Data Mode!

My iPhone 6s doesn’t have a toggle either for VoLTE either but Apple tech support stated its VoLTE compatible but only works for it if Carrier allows it to. PM doesn’t, Rogers did. Also, my 6s didn’t have 2g listed on it.

Its frustrating that PM will only allow select devices to work on their network for VoLTE even though many that are compatible for VoLTE & work for other carriers but not allowed to with PM!

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy 

I believe Apple eliminated the option in their latest iPhones (iPhone 12 forward?) and it's automatically enabled once the user's mobile provider enables it on their end. It does cause an issue on the other end whereas you no longer have the option to manually chose 2G (not that you would need to now....with VoLTE from pm) but it did cause a problem with some pm customers previously roaming in the US trying to connect to T-Mobile's 2G network.

Some newer Android phones had the same issue. If both the 5G and 4G LTE networks are available these phones will not automatically switch down to the 2G network for voice calls. With the ability to manually choose the 2G network now disabled in many new 5G phones this left voice calls out of reach for pm customers roaming in the US in the past year once the US 3G networks were decommissioned.

It's similar to the VoLTE toggle disappearing on both my pixel 3 and my Samsung A32. But the mobile network voice type lists LTE on both and VoLTE is toggled on in my moto g7+. All three phones have recieved pm texts messages saying they are not supported devices but Google, Samsung and Motorola/Lenovo all say they are and will automatically use VoLTE if it's enabled by the provider?

@hycm53 

Thanks for sharing.

@hycm53 wrote:

@LitlLdy Yes, VoLTE didn't show on the screen, but it shows on the settings.

@hycm53 , that’s interesting, I don’t have a VoLTE option in my settings!

Thank you for sharing the post. Good to know how it’s working there! 🙂

@hairbag1 I'm in Boston now.

@softech Yes, It works before the trip.

@LitlLdy Yes, VoLTE didn't show on the screen, but it shows on the settings.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53 

glad to hear that the introduction of volte to PM has made usage in US better.

Where are you ? Are you able to test in rural AND urban settings ?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@hycm53   one more question, your iPhone 8+ already have VoLTE working in Canada on PM network before your trip?

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53 wrote:

Today I bought $30 US data, talk & text for 15 days when I arrived at the U.S. After one or two minutes T- Mobile showed up on the screen. I checked iPhone 8 Plus settings, the "VoLTE" was showed up. But  there's no "VoLTE" on the iPhone 8 Plus yesterday only "LTE".

I tried make a call, it went very smooth. Internet speed is very fast.

So far so good!

@hycm53 , I have an iPhone 14 Pro & VoLTE is enable on my account but it doesn’t show VoLTE on top of my screen but shows LTE when making calls which don’t drop to 3G. Which means VoLTE is working. Apple tech support confirmed that VoLTE doesn’t show on the screen for iPhones. 

Edit: Calls connect quickly & clear for me. No dropped calls! It’s a nice change!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

thanks for the sharing @hycm53 

yes, I think iPhone does not always show VoLTE

Anyway, enjoy your trip

Need Help? Let's chat.