cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S10e

rbcam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I received a text from PM today saying that my phone supports VoLTE. It's a Samsung Galaxy S10e running Android 12. 

According to some websites, there should be a switch under Settings > Connections > Mobile networks to turn VoLTE on and off. On my phone there is no such switch.

Is there a way for me to determine whether VoLTE is enabled on my phone?

Thanks

- richard

85 REPLIES 85

rbcam

@joedf I'm really glad to hear that - it indicates that the problem for me isn't due to my phone being originally from Rogers.

I have a ticket open with CS, but their response has basically been "nothing we can do - talk to Samsung"

Cheers

- richard

joedf
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah, I just got the text today on my s10e. The setting is not there for me. I haven't tried reboot or wait 5mins to reinserting the Sim card yet. Ill try later tonight. But I bought my phone online directly from Samsung's website.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@hTideGnow 

I have the S9 and my spouse has the S8 plus.

I have it in my settings but the S8 plus doesn't have the setting to enable.

Both of our phones are showing LTE so I assume it is working.

Don't know how to check?

If the LTE icon is shown during a phone call while WiFi is off, VoLTE is working (VoLTE still works with Wi-Fi turned on but your phone wont' tell you about it).  There are no further step that you need to take.

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @BKNS27  people said try dialing *#*#4636#*#* and check the couple IMS lines there. Tell us what you see

Assuming Wi-Fi is turned off, Samsung devices will show an LTE icon when in a phone call.  *#*#4636#*#* isn't something that customers need to dial to check this. There are times when troubleshooting requires users to go in this hidden menu, but there are much easier ways to determine VoLTE status that wouldn't be as confusing to the majority of cutomers. There's also the possibility of custoemrs accidently changing settings in the hidden menu that could potentially cause the Public Mobile sevice to stop working.

hi @BKNS27  people said try dialing *#*#4636#*#* and check the couple IMS lines there. Tell us what you see

@hTideGnow 

I have the S9 and my spouse has the S8 plus.

I have it in my settings but the S8 plus doesn't have the setting to enable.

Both of our phones are showing LTE so I assume it is working.

Don't know how to check?

Hi @BKNS27 

are your phones S8 or S9? you tested and VoLTE work on both?

@Leafsfanatic 

Yes it is.

Screenshot_20230327-194122_Call settings.jpg

Leafsfanatic

@BKNS27 Did you have to do anything to enable VoLTE on the S9? I don't see the setting on mine at all. 

@hTideGnow   Agreed!  Just way too much confusion and frustration around this issue..

@Leafsfanatic   Just crazy heh?!!

Leafsfanatic

Saw this topic as I had opened my own for my Galaxy S9. The story I got from my support ticket was that the message saying my phone was compatible was a communication error:

"We are sorry about the message, however, that is just a massive standard text message sent to all our customers."

My device passes the IMEI checker, but support says since it's not on their official list it's not supported. 

@MisterMetzger    Thanks for confirming and, again, interesting that your S10e is compatible but not mine, although it wasn't purchased from Telus, that shouldn't matter.

Hi @dabr at this point, I am not certain to trust the Telus IMEI check or notm. Someone said agent confirmed that a phone showing VoLTE works in Telus might not work here still.

Very confusing. 

MisterMetzger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@dabr - yes, my device was listed as compatible on the Telus IMEI checker. My phone was even purchased outright from a Telus distributor.

@MisterMetzger    Interesting...my message was exactly the same except it said my device (S10e) is not compatible.  Did you check on the Telus IMEI checker and get a confirmation about your device being compatible?

MisterMetzger

@dabr This is the full message I received from PM:

Public Mobile here! We've enabled VoLTE (Voice over Long-term Evolution) on our network. To enjoy uninterrupted voice services while roaming in the U.S., a VoLTE certified device and a VoLTE enabled network are required. Great news, your current device supports VoLTE. Please note that your settings require an update. Visit publicmobile.ca/get-help/articles/volte to learn how to activate VoLTE now.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@rbcam   Are you sure the text you received from PM says your phone is compatible?  I received a message last week saying VoLTE had been enabled but that my device (same as yours) wasn't compatible which was confirmed by checking the IMEI on the Telus website.

I'm getting exactly the same settings as you and @MisterMetzger on my phone.  Originally I thought the presence of seeing 4G on the screen when making a call meant my phone was VoLTE compatible but after doing the test as suggested by @dust2dust to see if the call type changes under SIM status, I can confirm the voice network type changes to UMTS from LTE.   I must admit I've nvever paid attention before to what appears on the screen when calling, so have to assume that the 4G was always present but doesn't mean VoLTE.   I've tested setting network mode to LTE only (and CDMA) and my calls all go to voicemail and my phone doesn't even ring, so currently only the GSM mode is working for my calls.  BTW, I've done all of this with reboot/toggle airplane etc.  I also tried the network reset but nothing doing!

What's strange is that an old device (currently being used on another account) like S7 is compatible for VoLTE after checking on Telus website IMEI checker although that account has not received any notification that VoLTE is enabled and I couldn't find any VoLTE switch on it either. 

So, I'm going to agree with others that there seems to be something a little underhanded about how this VoLTE/device compatibility issue is being handled by PM (Telus) since even googling VoLTE/S10e says this device is compatible.

While I'm not in any hurry to get VoLTE on my phone and rarely have had any call issues to date, I do, however, share the frustration of others regarding the way this is being rolled out!

MisterMetzger

I had also submitted a ticket. Feels like the guy I'm dealing with isn't entirely sure of what's right because he initially confirmed VoLTE should be working for me but as of his latest message he said the S10 series is compatible with Telus and Koodo but not Public Mobile... Currently pushing back and trying to figure out what the implications are if correct. Something I found in a couple other articles elsewhere is that the VoLTE button has to be enabled by carrier as a setting available for their network.

rbcam

@softech - Thanks for the suggestion. I just submitted a ticket and I'll report on the results.

@BKNS27- During a call? Did it not before? Did you also check sim status during a call?

@dust2dust 

Yes both Samsung phone indicate LTE on top of screen.

@BKNS27- Is volte working for the phone though? There are several ways to tell.

@rbcam 

My spouse’s Samsung S8 plus doesn’t have the option for VoLTE either and we are both on PM…strange.

@dust2dust wrote:

@LitlLdy- I'm not entirely convinced tech support has a clue. I think there's an edict from on high...only select devices allowed...even if a device can do volte. Totally stupid for an allegedy BYOD provider.

When I get back home I might try the sim change idea with a spare sim. Not holding my breath though.

@dust2dustohh I fully agree with that. I’ve used VoLTE on my other phone with Rogers. Apple Tech Support even stated it’s compatible but also stated if the provider will allow it to be used on their network for VoLTE! So, it is selective/deliberate!
With all the issues I’ve had with CSA’s providing so much incorrect information & refusing to double check their information even after being provided with proof another one chimes in repeating same information the ones before said! I usually have to go through 4 or more CSA’s before I get one that knows the truth & actually does something! It’s frustrating & very poor business!

I keep spare sim cards to. Let us know how it goes.

@rbcam- My phone CAN do volte. I asked them to enable it. They don't want to. They say it's not compatible. They're lying. They just don't want to.

@rbcam   you don't have a ticket with PM yet?  start one, go through some troubleshooting steps with them and then ask for the sim , see what they say.  They sometimes would agree with sim reimbursement, but not sure if in VoLTE case

rbcam

@dust2dust  - are you also having trouble getting VoLTE enabled on your phone?

rbcam

@softech@LitlLdy 

I would definitely want the suggestion to swap SIMs to come directly from a PM agent, with (as you suggested) the offer of a free replacement SIM!

@LitlLdy- I'm not entirely convinced tech support has a clue. I think there's an edict from on high...only select devices allowed...even if a device can do volte. Totally stupid for an allegedy BYOD provider.

When I get back home I might try the sim change idea with a spare sim. Not holding my breath though.

rbcam

Hi, @MisterMetzger 

Thanks for confirming that I'm not alone with this problem! And the fact that your S10e is originally a Telus phone reduces the likelihood that my problem is due to mine being from Rogers.

Please let me know if your gather further data.

- richard

Need Help? Let's chat.