cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE - Phone Compatibility (Community members test results)

softech
Oracle
Oracle

It's great VoLTE is finally here!!

Many Community members have confirmed their phones are working but some are not.

Here is a summary I have kept.  Reply this post and I will try to update this first post as I see more
and thanks all for sharing

[update: stopping tagging contributing users as Too many users mentioned. You can @mention only 15 user(s) in a post.]

Working well 

Google Pixel 4XL     @Karnbot13 Link 
Google Pixel 6a.       @wetcoaster Link 
Google Pixel 7          @computergeek541   Link
Google pixel 7 Pro   @Karnbot13  Link 
iPhone 8+                 @hycm53    Link     * US roaming works as well
iPhone 12                @Luddite   Link   
iPhone 13                 @hTideGnow  Link 
iPhone 14                 @LitlLdy  Link          * iOS 16.4
iPhone XR                @Luddite  Link   
Moto E6                     mtnuser    Link 
Motorola G Play 2021 @Kristowhy   Link 
Motorola G Pure      @farmbot Link 
POCO X4 Pro 5G     @Gerry_P Link
Samsung A32 5G      @dust2dust  Link 
Samsung S20 FE      @computergeek541    Link 
Samsung S8+          @BKNS27  Link 
Samsung S9             @BKNS27 Link 
Ulefone Armor x5     @illogique   Link 
Umidigi Bison (2021)  @wetcoaster  Link   *Android 11

Still Working on it

Google Pixel 2          @computergeek541   Link
Google pixel 3a          @DennyCrane Link 
Google Pixel 3a XL     @alexs20 Link 
iPhone SE (2016)        @hairbag1 Link 
Motorola One 5g Ace @Cowboy1968 Link 
Motorola G (3rd Gen)  @computergeek541   Link
Motorola G4 Plus          mtnuser    Link 
Motorola G Play 2021 @Kristowhy  Link       * Koodo prepaid works but not PM
Motorola G Power       @RJR    Link 
OnePlus 9 Pro             @JoyceG Link 
Samsung A13 Pro       @lubmar Link 
Samsung  A32 (A325M DS) @PRJLNW Link 
Samsung A71              @Mister_E  Link
Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018)     @computergeek541   Link
Samsung S10               @dcliveca    Link 
Samsung S10+               @dcliveca    Link 
Samsung S10e            @rbcam @Link 
Samsung S20FE (international version G7810)   @fx50fh Link 
Samsung S20FE              @dcliveca    Link 
Samsung S7 Edge       @hTideGnow  Link 
Samsung S9                 @Leafsfanatic Link 
Sony Xperia X22          @Karnbot13 Link 
Ulefone Armor X7 Pro     mtnuser    Link 
Umidigi A13 pro           @will13am   Link    **Worked briefly but no longer working
Unihertz Titan Pocket   @IRJ01  Link   *Android 11

68 REPLIES 68

I also wonder if a US model would be. problematic.  I am sure S21 should and will work.  But my S21 got from US worked briefly and got "unregistered" IMS again 

oldandgrumpy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There's also devices such as my Pixel 3a XL that work on just fine VoLTE (tested on Rogers), but do not on my VoLTE-enabled PM line (tested with A52 5G).  Interestingly, the A52 5G is NOT on their supported list.  My conclusion is that their current and actual device whitelist is larger than what they have published.  The big question is if PM will eventually whitelist all the devices for which they sent texts indicating that VoLTE is supported. 

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Probably.... lucky rolled the dice 

Good timing on my part

The phone went thru a time frame of 20 minutes set up.

First call thru 3 G

Then next 4G HSPA+ showed

Then bam!

Final staging LTE with provisioning enabled.

Faster connection time noticed when placing calls.

@rbcam wrote:

@computergeek541 The list above is pretty consistent with the list at https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte. I think the inclusion of a Samsung S8+ and S9 on the list of working phones is an error.

I have been told explicitly by a PM TS person that my Samsung S10e is not and will not be supported. She encouraged me to "upgrade" to Koodo.

The list provided by Public Mobile isn't complete but likely indicates devices that Public Mobile has specifically tested.  For example, I know that Telu's S20 FE 5G works fine on Public Mobile VoLTE but it's not on the list.

rbcam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541 The list above is pretty consistent with the list at https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte. I think the inclusion of a Samsung S8+ and S9 on the list of working phones is an error.

I have been told explicitly by a PM TS person that my Samsung S10e is not and will not be supported. She encouraged me to "upgrade" to Koodo.

@farmbot wrote:

Moto G Pure in southern Alberta now live VoLTE

A couple of reboots

Voila   ✔️

I don't beleive that anyone has found any pattern of who has VoLTE and who doesn't.  As for rebooting the phone, that very well might have spead up the process for it to start working, but reoboting itself doesn't enable it at the account level.  That part needs to be done at the Public Mobile side of things (ie. a provisioning update).

farmbot

Moto G Pure in southern Alberta now live VoLTE

A couple of reboots

Voila   ✔️

farmbot_0-1681591415342.png

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@softech  Working well recently; 2 weeks ago was hit and miss. 
iPhones XR and 12

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@KamWest 

*#*#4636#*#*

press 'phone information'

press on the 3 dots menu( top right corner)

press IMS service status

IMS should be registered for volte compatibility

KamWest

Thanks for that, I have seen the LTE on my top menu bar.

Out of curiosity, what hidden menu setting are you referring too?

HI @Kristowhy   Yes, I got text.  

Kristowhy

@hTideGnow wrote:

My iPhone 13 works, but not my older S7 Edge (lucky I don't need it anymore)

@hTideGnow Glad to hear!  Did you ever receive any emails or text messages about VoLTE and/or device compatibility?  Trying to see if there is a pattern with regards to PM messaging.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@softech   Useful list!

My iPhone 13 works, but not my older S7 Edge (lucky I don't need it anymore)

@rbcam  true, on a Samsung,  when you see LTE changes to 4G, it actually means 3G  (god knows why)

maybe @BKNS27 can test again and verify, I will update my list

thanks @rbcam 

rbcam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @softech , @BKNS27 

I'm wondering about whether VoLTE is actually working for @BKNS27 on the S8+ and S9. The way I read his/her message was that the "enable VoLTE" toggle appears in settings. The toggle being there doesn't mean that VoLTE is working, just that a) the phone supports VoLTE and b) it's enabled on the phone.

There are a couple of ways I know of testing whether VoLTE is actually working. The simplest seems to be:

- turn off WiFi

- make a voice call

- if the network status in the status bar stays LTE, then VoLTE is working

- if it changes to 4G or anything else, the call is being made on 3G (yes, 4G means 3G!)

Cheers

- richard

@softech 

sorry my answer was directed at public customers. for the majority of North American carriers it should be gone. for the Telus umbrella it's not there

@gpixel   just to confirm, the Pixel's VoLTE hidden thing is not a carrier specific thing?  basically any Pixel is up-to-date , the VoLTE switch will be gone?

@KamWest 

Pixels don't have the volte setting anymore... the option was disabled with a software update. it is on automatically by default. the only way to check is to call someone and make sure the signal stays on LTE or use the hidden settings menu

@dust2dust wrote:

It was one of the items that the internal tech said to me last week. A phone may have slipped by for volte but that they might revoke it if it's not valid for their whitelist.

@wetcoaster- I seem to recall one of your devices got volte. Does it still?

I wish they would go by sheytoon's comment where it makes more sense not to maintain a list. But corporations be corporations.

Yes, Umidigi Bison (2021) on Android 11 works on VoLTE (so far).

VoLTE symbol first showed up on my status bar on March 15 and has stayed on ever since.

I did get the text that my device does not support the feature on March 22.

My friends Pixel 6a (bought at Best Buy first half of March) also works. They also got the "not supported" text on March 22 as well. Someone suggested that the text was for the previous device, which was a relatively recent Telus branded Samsung something or other that the previous owner used with Telus' VoLTE. I have not followed up to see if that former phone is using VoLTE now. (It got passed on to someone else who might or might not be a Public Mobile customer)

Kristowhy

@dust2dust indeed, there certainly seems to be a lot contradictory experiences out there.

In fact, here's another thread about this same issue..

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/VoLTE-Phone-Supports-it-PM-Disagrees/td-p...

@Kristowhy- Evidence certainly points to other motivations. My phone can use volte. It uses LTE here. Turn it on.

Kristowhy

@dust2dust wrote:

I wish they would go by sheytoon's comment where it makes more sense not to maintain a list. But corporations be corporations.

Sheytoon said last week that VoLTE should just work once it has been provisioned on the account and that whitelisting or blacklisting was not being done.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

It was one of the items that the internal tech said to me last week. A phone may have slipped by for volte but that they might revoke it if it's not valid for their whitelist.

@wetcoaster- I seem to recall one of your devices got volte. Does it still?

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@softech , I feel special! 🤣 It was a complicated fight though! My phone service was messed up for some time & I had no idea. Couldn’t receive calls nor call out. Once VoLTE was enabled I tried to make calls & it said I didn't have a roaming plan so still couldn’t call out or receive calls! Not in service! All while sitting at home going no where! No where near the USA border! Plus messed up call forwarding! Had several issues that different CSA’s had to fix all while getting 4 off them that either had no knowledge of how things work or didn't care so kept telling me incorrect information! 🙄 Tried to push 4G plans on me that I didn’t need a push buying another phone from them! Thank goodness when I finally received CSA’s that knew what they were doing! 🤣 It’s not all sunshine & roses. You have to keep pushing for things to get done & done correctly at that! So, I am ever so grateful to all of you here that share your experiences of what you’ve done, what has worked & what hasn’t or some of us would get no where & switch providers! 💕.

At least most of it is fixed now! I can place & receive calls, call forwarding/conditional, *611, on VoLTE for my iPhone 14 Pro!

Sorry, I think I babbled way to much! 😉

@softech 

not working on the wife's iPhone SE (2020) either.

Now I 'spect PM hasn't really turned volte on, on our phones as they told us they did...drats !!!

@hairbag1   thanks

I am surprise i see iPhone on the No section  🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Not working on iPhone SE (2016) in the beautiful Kootenays of BC.

On-line info says it's volte ready...but after PM enabled my account...still no volte luv !!

@softech wrote:

@will13am wrote:

VoLTE was working on my Umidigi A13 pro but no longer. 

@will13am 

i had similar experience with my S21 Plus I got from US

it works briefly, then I moved the sim around to other older phone (VoLTE incompatible), so I am not sure if the change sim triggered it or if PM changed the list  😞 

Funny that you mentioned moving the SIM around.  I did the same thing and thought it was a causal factor but I am thinking it is more likely a random coincidence.  The account remains VoLTE enabled, so it has to be phone white list shrinking.  Hopefully they will expand the whitelist after full rollout.  

@will13am wrote:

VoLTE was working on my Umidigi A13 pro but no longer. 

@will13am 

i had similar experience with my S21 Plus I got from US

it works briefly, then I moved the sim around to other older phone (VoLTE incompatible), so I am not sure if the change sim triggered it or if PM changed the list  😞 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

VoLTE was working on my Umidigi A13 pro but no longer.  The Telus VoLTE checker says not compatible now.  The account is confirmed VoLTE enabled using a "whitelisted" phone.  Interestingly, VoLTE works with the dog brand.  I will throw out the conspiracy theory that given the recent hot mess with calling feature, there might have been a shorter leash placed on the whitelist.  

Need Help? Let's chat.