Today, I received a text message on a phone that is not listed as supporting VoLTE, saying that VoLTE has been activated but my phone is not compatible. However, two other phones that are on Telus' list of supported devices did not receive the message. Currently, these two phones do not have VoLTE service. Is it because the service has not been activated yet or is there an issue with my Moto 5G phone, which I cannot find the VoLTE option for?
Solved! Go to Solution.
It's usually just different software. Sony and Google tend to throw the kitchen sink in the devices for hardware. Sony doesn't really tailor them to any specific region once they're outside of Japan. They usually have all the frequencies and hardware available like the Pixels. Like you said, hopefully it's just a matter of time because there isn't a hardware reason for any of my devices
@Karnbot13 I think Pixel is pretty much a north american version, no US/Can different one, isn't it?
I know for Telus IMEI VoLTE check, any US version will say incompatible, even the phone might actually works
I honestly think the compatible list will be longer soon. or phones not say compatible will actually work
I hope so too. The XZ2 was sold by Bell and Freedom when it came out. I have the american version. However, the Pixel 4 XL is also an american version and it has been enabled, so I'm not sure what criteria they're using to decide if a phone is compatible
@Karnbot13 at this point, look like only true Canadian model of phone will work. Maybe US model too if the phone has a similar model in Canada
i am not sure if X22 was ever sold in Canada, it could be why it is not VoLTE compatible here in PM
But I hope they will expand the compatible list soon
I have a Pixel 7 Pro that I bought directly from Google and it received the text saying it's compatible. My daughter's Pixel 4XL is also compatible and received the text as well. I also have an older Sony Xperia XZ2 that is VoLTE compatible but it received the text saying it is not supported. I'm not sure what criteria they're using to decide, the Pixel 4 and the XZ2 were released within a year of each other
From all we have seen here over the past two weeks, I think:
- not all older accounts ( before February 22/23) have been updated yet
- there is no indicator in the account to say that VoLTE has been activated for that line
- a reboot might be necessary for the feature to work properly
- some phones don't have an indicator on the status bar that says VoLTE, you'd need to see whether the phone still drops down to 3G during a call (or equivalent network designations)
- some phones and/or OS versions might not have the VoLTE toggle in settings and have VoLTE on "out of the box"
- a phone not being on the compatibility list (= list of devices sold by the Telus group) doesn't mean that it doesn't work on VoLTE - I have used my Umidigi Bison on VoLTE for a week...
- not sure yet if those "your phone doesn't support VoLTE, buy a new phone" texts (my abrevated version 😉 ) are sent to any phone that isn't Telus branded (say a Pixel bought directly from Goole), or "just" devices not on the list
- We'll need confirmation if Public Mobile is white listing phones on the "supported list" for VoLTE roaming in the US, or if "VoLTE in Canada" = "VoLTE in Canada and the US"
Edited to add another point that came to me after the first time hitting "post"