cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G shows 4g

JamesYuan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I subscribed a new 5g plan, and my phone is Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, I'm in pm's coverage. But why it shows 4g or 4g+.

And I opened 5g(auto connect)

My phone is tw version(it can be global)

PM uses n66 n78

I only have n78

I activated on Nov 24

I went to different places in Coquitlam, Vancouver. But still 4g&4g+(advanced)

I ordered simcard on web and shipping

33 REPLIES 33

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@JamesYuan 

if you want 5g you will need to modify the OS. or try to install the Canadian version on to your device using ODIN

JamesYuan

I cant find it. My phone is samsung

99guy

James, try turning off adaptive connectivity.

99guy

I'm using Pixel 7. When I turn off adaptive connectivity then I get 5G. Leave it on get 4G. The speed though is similar.😐

@JamesYuan again, we don't know. There's not enough information there.

@hTideGnow that's correct. Unfortunately no way to look up the combos as they are not published.

JamesYuan

1000005145.jpg

•  these are the bands I have. Can they fit that

hi @sheytoon so anchor band for n78 would be different on different phones?? where we can look up..

@JamesYuan yes but you don't know which LTE band your phone needs for n78.

ZeroBull_Here
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Found: The elusive fine print!!!  😊
What Data Speeds Public Mobile Offers

From 5G speeds to unlimited data subscriptions, you can subscribe to a plan that suits your needs. All Public Mobile subscriptions run on the reliable and award-winning TELUS 5G and LTE networks. We offer the below data speeds that you can choose from.

• Subscriptions with 3G speed may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps
  • Subscriptions with 4G speed may reach download speeds of up to 100 Mbps
  • Subscriptions with 5G speed may reach download speeds of up to 250 Mbps

The 5G network is the ‘fifth generation’ of cellular network technology (or mobile internet) that has increased speeds, reliability, and capacity, giving you a better browsing experience. If you are on a 3G speed or 4G speed subscription, you may see the 5G logo on your phone, that is normal. You’re getting the reliability of the 5G network at the speed (and price) of your 3G/4G speed subscription.

To access 5G network speeds, ensure you have a compatible phone, your phone’s software is up-to-date and you are connected to the Public Mobile 5G network where available.

Your subscription’s speed and signal strength may vary with your phone, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For more information about our rate plans, please see here.

Note: If you’ve recently changed to a subscription with a different data speed it may take up to 48 hours until the speed change kicks in.

Was this article helpful?

For Sure

Not Really

JamesYuan

But I check my phone web it shows it has n78?

n66 was the initial 5G band in Canada for Telus, but n78 is also deployed in Vancouver now.

The issue is which 5G NSA combos the phone supports. Just because it supports n78 doesn't mean it supports it with an LTE B2 or B7 anchor.

Rogers may have worked because they have a different combo, such as n41.

@JamesYuan that screen shows your account is provisioned for 5G, and the current LTE B2 cell supports anchoring for 5G NSA, but your phone isn't using an active 5G connection.

Your phone may not support B2_n78 or B2_n66 combo that are deployed in Canada.

JamesYuan

Yes I found them on samsung web tw

@JamesYuan wrote:

But I think it's doesn't matter with the phone version. It's SM-S9180, Taiwan version. But I think it's linked to band. PM is using n66 n78. I have n78. 

@JamesYuan  you don't have n66 on your phone?  I think n66 is more used on Telus/Bell network.  Maybe @sheytoon can confirm?

JamesYuan

Sometimes it's 4g, Sometimes it's 4g+.

There's only 10mbps when 4g is on. There's 100mbps when 4g+ is on. But I need 5g 250mbps

JamesYuan

How do I know does my phone have certificates? But rogers 5g networks works on my phone

@JamesYuan 

unfortunately that is the reason why 5g doesn't work for you. the device needs to have the correct certificates not just the bands and frequencies

@ZeroBull_Here It used to be a thing that when changing plans to a higher speed it would take up to 48 hours for the throttle to be removed; but that's not longer a thing, ans definitely not for brand new plans anyway (only plan changes).

Also note that you can still get 5G speeds on the 4G network.

ZeroBull_Here

My apologies to the community. I posted that Public Mobile Fine Print stated that it may take 2 days to activate 5G from 4G plans. I thought it would be nice to post where I found this information, but I just spent an hour trying to locate that statement and came up empty. I know I read it somewhere, but it does not appear in the fine print. Hmmm. Sorry folks.😥

Lampthis1

I have a Samsung S21 canadian version, and it does show 5g. It will drop to LTE or 4g when necessary.

I just leave it on 5g auto connect. Wait another day or 2 and see if it comes up.

JamesYuan

But I think it's doesn't matter with the phone version. It's SM-S9180, Taiwan version. But I think it's linked to band. PM is using n66 n78. I have n78. 

JamesYuan

Wait, 2 days? I even didn't know. Probably I will get it tomorrow? 

JamesYuan

1000005132.jpg

JamesYuan

Coquitlam Vancouver

ZeroBull_Here

I have had the same experience. Bought a new Unlocked Samsung Galaxy SE23 Ultra. Went through the painful process with the extremely slow Public server on Good Friday to activate the $34.00 5G 40GB public mobile rate plan. Wasted my money since I still only got 4G after activating the 5G plan. Today, I went to Visions and got a $55.00 5G 70 GB unlimited Canada calling plan with Virgin. Tonight I read Public Mobiles fine print and to my dismay discovered that it can take 2 days for the 5 G to activate. Whoops! Virgin 5G was immediate.  🤔

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@JamesYuan 

the device needs to be a Canadian model. what is model #? it should say it in the 'about phone' section in the device or on the box the phone came with

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@JamesYuan can you dial *#0011# then choose your SIM slot and then post a screenshot of the signal stats?

@JamesYuan sim card would not be an issue

May I know what area you are at? Province and city?

JamesYuan

I switched my phone settings and test, only 60mbps and I went to the different places it only shows 4g. Is it because the sim card?

Need Help? Let's chat.