cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Re: Data add-on in USA

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I don’t understand how using the phone with no data works.  I need to learn that one. My Garmin does have live traffic notifications in some areas.  

@LurganIeUk takes seconds to find that info via Google search 🙂  

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren : Except: Tip: Transit, bicycling, or walking directions are unavailable offline. In your offline driving directions, you can’t get traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@mimmo 

I guess so. I am old school with the Garmin. I don’t understand how using the phone with no data works.  I need to learn that one.

@LurganIeUk 

Lol....well you can make calls and text but you can't access the internet.😃 When you are on wifi just download to your phone what you would normally access online. This could be maps, your playlist, coupons, digital tickets etc.... I have a habit of taking screenshots and opening my gallery or photos that are not backed up yet to access my upc code for my pc optimum account or pics of flyer prices i intend to price match then I delete them later.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@z10user4 wrote:

@srlawren : Except: Tip: Transit, bicycling, or walking directions are unavailable offline. In your offline driving directions, you can’t get traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.

@z10user4 good tips, thanks!  I would say that lack of those things probably also affect using something like a Garmin with static maps (stored locally) would have the same limitations.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren : The tip came from the page you linked. I would agree with your further statement. How can it, without some live data?

Meow
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@z10user4 good tips, thanks!  I would say that lack of those things probably also affect using something like a Garmin with static maps (stored locally) would have the same limitations.  

Dedicated GPSr units are completely different beasts comparing to GPS apps. I definitely prefer stand alone GPSr units to phone apps. Call me old school but I have no unlimited resources to pay for data. I love my old Garmin which provides traffic data for free.

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@Meow : But how? Is it connected to your phone and using its data? Does it have a SIM in it and some kind of free connection? How does it know live information?

Edit: found an FM transmission method. Not as precise but there it is. Needs a compatible device and an antenna.

Other than that...connects to a phone through an app.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren 

Thanks I must try it. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 yeah, garmins use fm radio sideband. It's not nearly as comprehensive as google maps traffic data, at least in Canada. However, in bigger Canadian cities like Vancouver it will at least list construction areas and major incidents. In the US its much more likely to show highway congestion as well.

I have a Nüvi that can do this, and use it for longer road trips routing to the "final destination" . If im the passenger, nowadays I like to use google maps for looking up stuff like gas stations, restaurants, and playgrounds for the kids along the way...

My newer car has android auto support, and with offline maps downloaded its 80% functional with no data active too - use it all the time in the city. If you start the route while in wifi coverage you can get the google traffic routing before you leave the wifi zone too...

chainsawcowboy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@LurganIeUk 

I must be old school. I still use a map from my glove compartment.

Need Help? Let's chat.