cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Speakout failed

Ph0ne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to scream.  eight, now nine, attempts at entering a support ticket have failed.  I just want to port my number from speakout.  Not break into the NSA

I have activated a PM simcard and now that everything is working I want to port my number from speakout.  I logged into my account and went through the process found under "Plan and Addons" (BTW this is a terrible place to put this).  The process said it was successful and when I turned on my new phone with the PM sim card the number was changed on the phone.  The new number was also shown when I log into my PM account.

A while later, I received a text on my old phone with the Speakout SIM still in it saying that the port was unsuccessful.  I tried phoning my number and it went to the old phone.  I tried the link that was attached to the text but it led me to a now dead chat interface.  It said the new chat interface was Simon. (Aside: the PM automated text needs to be updated so that it does not lead to a dead interface)

I used Simon and it led me to set up a community account and submit a ticket.  I have tried a bunch of times to enter the ticket and it keeps failing verification.  I click verify then the button goes inactive and the submit button is inactive.

Some questions about the ticket and verification:

What phone number is supposed to be entered in the verification?  My account now says shows the new Speakout number and not the one that was provided on PM setup.  Do I use this one or the one supplied during PM setup?

What amount should be entered for the last payment.  Pm shows the 25.00 amount before tax or the 28.00 amount charged to my card?

Instead of this verification stuff, why do they not not just submit the ticket from your account page?  you are already verified enough to totally mess with your account?

The additional info for the ticket asks for an account number for the previous provider.  Speakout does not have account numbers so what should be entered here.

This is a heap of frustration.

14 REPLIES 14

Ph0ne

This other information might make for a successful Speakout port but the trouble is it is not clear where a person should put the information in the porting form .  Even when it should be straight forward Public chose to call the IMEI the phone "serial number".  Which it is not.  This is just setting people up for failure.  Speakout is likely one of the more common porting requests for PM customers and their automated system could easily have been setup to handle this better.  As a new customer, porting a number in will be one of the first things I do that has an elevated degree of "risk" to it and when it goes sideways, it leaves a bad first impression.  

chipmunk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Anonymous wrote:

@chipmunk : Great input. Thanks for that. So a few options. Why is Speakout so confusing? Some use phone number, some use IMEI, some use some kind of PIN. Where does the PIN come from?

I had that SpeakOut account / number since 2008 (I think...), and I'm fairly sure that there was no account PIN at that time.

However, at one point in 2015 or so I had to call their customer support because something went wonky with voicemail (likely through user error...), and there was some way to validate the account but the agent asked me if I'd want to set up the account PIN to increase security and speed up access to support. So I did.

When I decided to port the number to Public Mobile, I called SpeakOut customer support to confirm the up-to-date procedure from their side. The agent confirmed the account PIN with me and encouraged me to use that in the port form.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chipmunk : Great input. Thanks for that. So a few options. Why is Speakout so confusing? Some use phone number, some use IMEI, some use some kind of PIN. Where does the PIN come from?

chipmunk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Anonymous  

My understanding is that putting the IMEI # into the account # field (by the user or the CSA) will trip up the porting system and lead to a failed port. Some people have had success using their 10 digit phone number (without space or special characters) as account number, but I decided not to do that.

@Ph0ne 

I see that you already chose a solution, but FWIW, this is how the port from SpeakOut worked for me in early December:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Has-anyone-ported-from-SpeakOut-to-PM-recently-late-2021/m-p/757296/highlight/true#M508328 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ph0ne : Because we've come to learn all these little details to help fellow customers. The CSA's are basically in training to hopefully get promoted up to the big leagues. Could you just say your IMEI and call it the account number. "Yes dear CSA my account number is (wink wink IMEI). Does that work?"

Or ask to be escalated to an experienced CSA.

@Ph0ne   Have you formally put in a porting request from My Account, Change Phone number ?  If so, there is a  porting team number you can call and work with porting expert.   I will message you the phone number via Community inbox, envelope icon on top

But, you need to put in the request first before calling

Ph0ne

I want to scream even more. The PM CS agent that I am messaging with has repeatedly asked for the account number for the speakout account.  After several times telling her that speakout does not use account numbers I called speakout just to be sure.  They do not use account numbers.  Why do the professionals not know this when all you guys do?  She says she tried to port it over again but it failed.  What can I do now?    Does anyone know if speakout sends a confirmation text message to permit the port?  I have not received one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ph0ne : I see. Yeah the thing says "Equipment Serial Number". Seems understandable. Click on the little question mark and it finishes with the *#06# instruction which actually gets the IMEI. Dang.

@J_PM: Any chance changing the wording/terminology for the porting form?

Current: Old Service Provider Equipment Serial Number:

Maybe change to simply : IMEI (*#06#)

@Ph0ne   it is a known issue.  What I provided was other's experience with porting in from Speakout  🙂

So, you have a active PM account now?  If you do , then request port in as advised in my earlier post

Ph0ne

This could be where things went off the rails.  The PM form requested the serial number so that is what I provided.  If PM wanted the IMEI number instead then it should have asked for that!?!

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Ph0ne wrote:

I used Simon and it led me to set up a community account and submit a ticket.  I have tried a bunch of times to enter the ticket and it keeps failing verification.  I click verify then the button goes inactive and the submit button is inactive.

This is know issue with creating a ticket through chatbot. Please use below link to send private message to CSA. They WILL get back to you, just be a little bit patient.

- Send a private message to the CSA by clicking here. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ph0ne   you have an active PM account already?    

If you do not have a PM account yet and try to port in the number while you activate, DO NOT do that with SpeakOut.  Activate the PM account first with a temp. number.   

Once your PM account is fully activated,  login to your My Account and request port in, 

Simply put  the IMEI  in the field: Equipment Serial Number. 

!!Do not use an account number and do not fill in the PIN for porting 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ph0ne 

if you stuck with Transferring your old Phone Number, or is not complete processing

Here’s how to contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

• you need to send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link

• please include in your message,
  • phone number,
  • which carrier,
  • Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST
    • Note: Public Mobile No Support by phone call or Email.. only by CS_Agentprivate message..

• Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck and your welcome to Public Mobile
you will be very happy...with a Fabulous Service..

Need Help? Let's chat.