cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G service on 5G plan and 5G phone

Tommyleisun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have a 5G plan and purchased a SIM card from TELUS retail store.  Tested with different 5G compatible phones, like Samsung S20+ 5G and iPhone 12,  No any 5G service, only LTE and LTE+.   I can sure I'm in the downtown area which 5G service covered.   

What's the issue?  Is it caused by the SIM card? Or other reason? 

49 REPLIES 49

sheldon_pro

Give this a try it worked for me on my Samsung S20/5G phone. Download NetMonitor from the Google PlayStore, install it.

Download NetMonitor then go to settings in NetMonitor (3 dots bottom right), then hit service menu and change it from LTE only to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA. You should have 5G back. Works on all Samsung devices and all versions of Android and OpenUI.

sheldon_pro

Give this a try it worked for me on my Samsung 20/5G phone. Download NetMonitor from the Google PlayStore, install it.

Download NetMonitor then go to settings in NetMonitor (3 dots bottom right), then hit service menu and change it from LTE only to NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA. You should have 5G back. Works on all Samsung devices and all versions of Android and OpenUI.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Tommyleisun  Can you confirm which of these you have tried?

1. Turn on airplane mode, wait a minute or two, turn it back off again.

2. Turn off low power mode if it is on

3. Reset network settings

@dust2dust wrote:

@LitlLdy- Wikipedia indicates that the iphone 12 can take 16.6.1. But if it's just a security update then as with htidegnow, maybe it makes no difference.

@dust2dust , I thought it was compatible for the update also! I received the option to change to 5G Auto or 5G On with the update before iOS 16.6 but I still keep my iPhone updated. You’re correct though it is just a security update as far as my understanding.

Edit: Apple’s security content page lists two vulnerabilities: One in the ImageIO framework and another in Wallet. Processing a maliciously crafted image or attachment could allow the attacker to execute arbitrary code. For both of them, the page says, “Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.”

@LitlLdy- Wikipedia indicates that the iphone 12 can take 16.6.1. But if it's just a security update then as with htidegnow, maybe it makes no difference.

@dust2dust wrote:

Wikipedia indicates that 16.6.1 came out yesterday.
Is your phone a Canadian market phone (if that's a thing in the Apple world)? Was it a subsidized purchase through a carrier or bought outright and unlocked from Apple or wherever?

@dust2dust , yes, iOS 16.6.1 is what mine updated to yesterday. Security updates. That’s why I posted it was the latest update but @Tommyleisun states 16.6 was the latest iOS update for that iPhone!

Wikipedia indicates that 16.6.1 came out yesterday.
Is your phone a Canadian market phone (if that's a thing in the Apple world)? Was it a subsidized purchase through a carrier or bought outright and unlocked from Apple or wherever?

Adding - just noticed I clicked the reply button for that reply. @Tommyleisun 

HI @Tommyleisun 

yes,  i know, i have 16.6, too   And 16.6 definitely have 5G option there and PM didn't block it

There is no downgrade now for 16.6.  Say, you can wait for 16.7 and see. Many got it updated to another version from the old one and the 5G option comes

Or if you are desperate, you can try to Reset the phone, and see if 5G options comes.  

Tommyleisun

16.6 latest version for my model. 

@Chalupa_Batman- Like so many customers, agents don't read the details either. When you type something that triggers the automatic bleeep then it sends that to the agents. They responded to you as though you reported a post. They failed to notice the subject line part saying filter smut. That's the automatic filter.

@Tommyleisun wrote:

Ya, that's the point.   My iphone is on latest 16.6.  and the options only shows LTE and 3G, no 5G auto and 5G on. 

That's why I'm thinking it's SIM card issue. 

@Tommyleisun , that’s very odd! Sorry 😞 My iPhone has iOS 16.6.1 but a previous update gave me the 5G Auto & 5G options to choose in my settings! Your iPhone 12 is compatible to have the option to select it. I can’t figure out why it didn’t give it to you with the update!

Edit: I guess resetting network settings & rebooting the iPhone wouldn’t help either after updating iOS software but I always do.

"Yes, I don't have 5G Auto and 5G on option in the menu list. Lol.. weird. 

Have you tried turning on airplane mode, waiting a minute or two, and then turning it back off again?

You remember the post below where it said **bleep**? I said d @ m n and I just got this from an unknown cs agent. 

Re: [Filter: smut] KennethJAdams's post body matched "**bleep**", board "get-support".

Thank you for reporting this message,

I have already escalated this information,

We'll check the information and act accordingly, 

Thank you.

Customer Support Agent.

KennethJAdams
a moment ago

I have no idea what your talking about unsigned customer support agent.  I didn't report anything. 

With that being said, an Oracle can read behind the **bleep** and reported me and the CS Agent stupidly sent the report to me. Or the system did it automatically and the CS Agent stupidly sent the report to me. 

Thanks for the laugh unknown CS Agent!!  

@Tommyleisun wrote:

Yes, I don't have 5G Auto and 5G on option in the menu list. Lol.. weird. 

hi @Tommyleisun 

what iOS version  you have?

Tommyleisun

Yes, I don't have 5G Auto and 5G on option in the menu list. Lol.. weird. 

Do you see the additional .1 in your OS version?

@Tommyleisun wrote:

It doesn't matter drain more battery.  I paid for 5G plan , which is more expensive than 4G plan.  If I really dont need 5G, why not subscribe a 4G plan, right?  

hi @Tommyleisun , 

so you don't see 5G Auto or 5G On there?

yes, some people pick 5G plans instead of 4G because of the amount of data, three is no more big data plan on 4G plans

@Tommyleisun wrote:

It doesn't matter drain more battery.  I paid for 5G plan , which is more expensive than 4G plan.  If I really dont need 5G, why not subscribe a 4G plan, right?  

Public Mobile's 5G plans only allow for a possible maximum faster download speed compared to the 4G plans.  All Public Mobile plans give access to the exact same networks.

You are getting higher than PM's posted 4G speed already, your problem is that your phone is not giving you the option of selecting 5G for some reason.  

Tommyleisun

Ya, that's the point.   My iphone is on latest 16.6.  and the options only shows LTE and 3G, no 5G auto and 5G on. 

That's why I'm thinking it's SIM card issue. 

Because it's not about the network, it's about the speed. You can get the same speed on either the LTE network or the 5G network.

Tommyleisun

Thank you so much. 

Tommyleisun

"True,  @CS_Agent Could you help to check that? "  The current SIMs are all 5G capable.  

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Tommyleisun wrote:

Hi,

I have a 5G plan and purchased a SIM card from TELUS retail store.  Tested with different 5G compatible phones, like Samsung S20+ 5G and iPhone 12,  No any 5G service, only LTE and LTE+.   I can sure I'm in the downtown area which 5G service covered.   

What's the issue?  Is it caused by the SIM card? Or other reason? 

@Tommyleisun , do you have your iPhone updated to the latest iOS software 16.6.1 ? Mine is & my iPhone is set to 5G Auto.

eZy Watermark_08-09-2023_03-17-47-7630PM.jpegCellular Data OptionsVoice & Data

Tommyleisun

Yes, I'm on LTE (LTE+ sometimes) over 4G.   OS is up-to-date.     5G works on other SIM card from Roger.

Tommyleisun

OS is update to date.  5G network works on Roger SIM card.

@Tommyleisun wrote:

True,  @CS_Agent Could you help to check that?

HI @Tommyleisun  

@CS_agent won't reply here, you have to submit ticket :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Tommyleisun

True,  @CS_Agent Could you help to check that?

thanks @Phil_Adelphus 

then @Tommyleisun speed is good, honest, you don't really need 5G in this case.  iPhone has 5G Auto setup and it won't access 5G if your 4G speed is good and if you are not downloading a lot.  

But of course, you want to see the option there, make sure you update OS and update Carrier profile

(but if you see 5G Auto there, then it is just the settings, you can change 5G On to force the 5G network, but it will wast more battery:    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211828  )

Need Help? Let's chat.