cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5G service on 5G plan and 5G phone

Tommyleisun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I have a 5G plan and purchased a SIM card from TELUS retail store.  Tested with different 5G compatible phones, like Samsung S20+ 5G and iPhone 12,  No any 5G service, only LTE and LTE+.   I can sure I'm in the downtown area which 5G service covered.   

What's the issue?  Is it caused by the SIM card? Or other reason? 

49 REPLIES 49

"also, check speed test and tell us how fast you are getting in LTE or LTE+"

@hTideGnow the OP said earlier that a speed test got 150Mbps so it doesn't look like the plan is the problem, just that the phone doesn't show 5G

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Tommyleisun 

make sure you have the latest OS and Carrier Profile is updated.  Many didn't see 5G but after the latest OS , they see it

also, check speed test and tell us how fast you are getting in LTE or LTE+

Have you done all the OS updates and also gone to settings, general, about to see if other updates happen.

I have the same PM SIM now for 5G that I had when I was on a 3G plan so it shouldn't be that.  Have you tried all the usual things like powering on and off, airplane mode on and off etc.?

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tommyleisun You should ask CS Agent, but I don't think there's a diff sim for 5G vs 4G service.

Tommyleisun

on iPhone 12, it only shows LTE and 3G option in that menu.  So that's why I'm think about is it caused by SIM is not a 5G SIM card.

"Test download speed on PM cell data service is only 150Mbps" that's faster than the PM stated 4G speed of up to 100Mbps.  On the 5G plans you won't get the maximum speed all the time, it will depend if you are in a building, the area you are in etc.  Also if the iPhone is on 5G On or 5G Auto (or the equivalent in Android if there is one).

Tommyleisun

Sorry, I did something wrong.  I didn't disconnect my wifi on the last test.   

Test download speed on PM cell data service is only 150Mbps

Tommyleisun

Sorry, I did something wrong.  I didn't disconnect my wifi on the last test.   

Test download speed on PM cell data service is 150Mbps

"speed test shows download 269mbps.   But the network is on 4G LTE"

I believe all of PM is on 5G but the speeds are throttled to the different stated levels.

pmbc

@Tommyleisun  So I think you're getting 5G throughput.  4G usually tops out around 100mbps.  You're paying for faster speed so whether it shows 5G or not, you're getting what you pay for.

**bleep**!!!  I'm too cheap. I'm still on 3G data. LOL. Those are some nice speeds!!

Tommyleisun

speed test shows download 269mbps.   But the network is on 4G LTE.  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

I don't know anything about the Samsung although from other posts it seems they may sometimes be on 5G but not show it, but iPhone has different 5G settings.  Do you have yours on 5G On or 5G Auto?  If on 5G Auto if it's anything like mine it will show LTE most of the time, it only switches to 5G when it "thinks" it would be better, or depending on where I am at the time.  Even on LTE I still get higher than the PM 4G speed cap of 100Mbps.

Tommyleisun

Tested, download speed 269mbps

No. It is a 5G network. Just sometimes depending on your location, you may be bouncing off someone's shared tower that has 4G. You can always go into your settings and pick Public Mobile as your network. Sorry I'm not an Android guy or a Samsung guy. You'd have to Google how.

pmbc

@Tommyleisun Have you tried doing a speed test?  Could you be getting 5G throughput but devices are just not showing 5G?

Tommyleisun

So,  do you mean this plan is actually on 5G speed, not true on 5G network?

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Try downloading the speedtest app and see what your results are and report back to us. If you see LTE or LTE + and getting upwards of 250mbps...  you're getting 5G speeds. Feel free to take screen shots to share.

Need Help? Let's chat.