cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible stolen phone number

big_al
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On June 27 I got an email asking for feedback for customer service but I never contacted customer service. I got a text from someone I don’t know today on June 28 asking who I was, and in that conversation I found that they got a phone call that left a blank message. My phone has no outgoing calls on the 28th.

I checked my account and the SIM number on the account still matches my phone’s SIM.

The activity with the email and someone getting a call from my number is very suspicious and I’m concerned that someone is using my number for scam calls.

Is there a way to find out what that support email from the 27th was for and what changes were made?

4 REPLIES 4

big_al
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good to know about number spoofing. It spooked me so I still checked all my account settings and reset my password. Thanks to everyone who replied!

@big_al 

First, NO worry.  This is Caller ID spoofing.  You didn't have anything compromised

On the other hand it is not something you can do or PM can do.  It is happening to many people, and even CRTC has nothing effective to stop this

Sorry, nothing you can do to stop it really.   I always say it is like letter mail.  People can send mail to something else but put your address as the return address.  Not something you can do to stop or not something Canada Post can do or validate

Here are more info on this topic:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@big_al 

Scammers are spoofing your number to hide their number. I get calls all the time on my TextNow number so I called the number from another phone. While my phone is ringing. The other phone is ringing to the spoofed number…it should be busy if they are calling my number.

Just ignore the call…not much you can do.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Oh, that kind of stuff happens all the time. These scammers use other peoples phone numbers with apps all the time. It makes it look like the call is coming from your phone number but it's not. It's called Spoofing. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's happened to me once or twice. I just ignore it.

And yes, I've received messages from PM asking for my feedback after dealing with customer service but at the time I never did so I ignored it. One of two things. Either someone is faking to be PM to get your info or PM famously messaged the wrong person. I get that too sometimes from CS Agents. 

For example, I have replied in your thread here about this. If you report something, I get a message from a CS Agent asking to assist me further with my problems and asks for me to confirm my identity. It's happened probably 5 times in the last 2 years since I joined the forums. Heck, I just got one two weeks ago telling me they were sorry for what's happened and would gladly be happy to fix my concerns. I message back with... huh?  I never got a reply to that. LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.