cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought TCL flip from Public Mobile - it is missing the maps feature?

simardfa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi and thanks for any help.

This last week I purchased a pre-owned TCL flip phone from Public Mobile by mail. It seems to be working fine except there doesn't seem to be any maps feature available.

I have toggled the 'location' option to 'on'.

There is no maps icon on the home screen.

There is no maps icon in the menu options.

If I use the browser and go to google maps it prompts me to download the maps app to my phone's home page, I click yes and receive no error message, yet no maps app appears on the home page. If I go back to google maps on the browser it prompts me again, each time.

The checked for software updates via wifi and downloaded all of them.

I restarted my phone.

Any suggestions? A Google search of TCL flip phones indicates a maps app should come with the phone. Is it possible the previous owner of this (pre-owned) phone permanently deleted the app? I'm quite puzzled. Thanks very much for any help!

6 REPLIES 6

simardfa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the replies, they were most helpful. I'm upgrading from an old Alcatel flip phone which did have maps preinstalled so I assumed this newer phone would also, but perhaps not all flip phones have this as I thought. I have the information I need so I will close this thread. Thanks again.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@simardfa   yes, the Google map should be pre-loaded.  You can likely bring it to a shop for warranty repair and they can re-load the map or re-load the latest firmware for you.  Or your can simply return it first and decide if you want to buy this again or buy another phone  (if you are going to have the same one, I think it is better to return it first and re-buy so the warranty get "extended" )

Please open a ticket with PM support to arrange return or exchange

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "CPO Phone", then click "Return or Exchange..", then click "Contact Us",  then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

Update: The TCL Flip you got is NOT the TCL Flip PRO.  I am aware that Flip Pro has google map preloaded, but I am unsure that this TCL Flip has it.  You might want to confirm first.  Or as @cellphoneuser1  said, the map on a flip phone might not be very useful, might be better to get a entry level  Android full screen phone instead

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @simardfa   if possible, go and check this phone in a mobile store, BestBuy or Telus and see if is supposed to have the map feature

if it does and yours is missing, usually just a software problem. But why waste time, you might want to reutrn it first and re-buy later (take advantage of yoru 30 days full money back)

Flip phones don't usually have apps for maps.  Some old phones used to have it like old Nokia Symbian phones.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@simardfa @Since it’s hasn’t been 30 days if your not totally satisfied with it , best to just return the device and get a different one 

Getting support / submit ticket

• Get support by starting a conversation with virtual Chat box /SIMon. Click here                 

Or while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message   To CS_Agents by clicking here.

Watch for reply top of page to the

Right ( envelope image )

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@simardfa wrote:

Hi and thanks for any help.

This last week I purchased a pre-owned TCL flip phone from Public Mobile by mail. It seems to be working fine except there doesn't seem to be any maps feature available.

I have toggled the 'location' option to 'on'.

There is no maps icon on the home screen.

There is no maps icon in the menu options.

If I use the browser and go to google maps it prompts me to download the maps app to my phone's home page, I click yes and receive no error message, yet no maps app appears on the home page. If I go back to google maps on the browser it prompts me again, each time.

The checked for software updates via wifi and downloaded all of them.

I restarted my phone.

Any suggestions? A Google search of TCL flip phones indicates a maps app should come with the phone. Is it possible the previous owner of this (pre-owned) phone permanently deleted the app? I'm quite puzzled. Thanks very much for any help!

Are maps very important for you?  If you need that, return the flip phone for a refund.  You need to buy a smartphone.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @simardfa   if possible, go and check this phone in a mobile store, BestBuy or Telus and see if is supposed to have the map feature

if it does and yours is missing, usually just a software problem. But why waste time, you might want to reutrn it first and re-buy later (take advantage of yoru 30 days full money back)

To arrange to return of your phone, open ticket with CS agent at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

First type Contact,
then select the only choice there: "Contact..",
from the list of , choose "Other"
finally click link the blue link about submit a ticket
Another page will open and just follow: .

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can open ticket by private message (but this can take longer):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.