cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call forwarding to an 1-855 number no longer working.

TorontoIgroup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was able to have my number call forwarded to an 1-855 number for years up to sometime last year. (i hadn't checked in a couple months, but when I checked today, the call forwarding does not work anymore. The phone doesn't even ring, just sort of goes beep, beep and drops off.

Any help would be appreciated. 

34 REPLIES 34

But it's not just USA toll free numbers, it's any toll free number - even Canadian. As per my earlier post, I couldn't forward to a Saskatchewan company tollfree number either.

Oh well, maybe somehow someone was abusing call forwarding and they cut it off due to a cost that showed up in a report...

TorontoIgroup

Ok, Recent Update.

Bottom Line is that PM no longer supports call forwarding to USA toll free numbers. They cannot explain why my 416 number was still able to do so up to Nov. 2022. Regardless, I will have to find another solution/provider. If anyone out there is able to provide me with info on a service provider that would allow my 1-416 number to be call forwarded to the 1-855 number, I would be appreciative. 

[✔️ ...... Luddite]

TorontoIgroup

Yes, the 1-855 number is active and capable of being reach from my PM number (I just tried it) or any other phone.

Hi @TorontoIgroup if you just call from your PM phone (not forward but call), does it still work??

TorontoIgroup

Yes, it is an USA toll free number.  It has worked successfully until Nov. 2022. Then it stopped working.

RCO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Bravo for running a test

RCO

fwiw , 

I think your point question is little moot

I think the issue(s) is/are

did PM change system and or

if PM did change it , the reason ?

and whether PM can change it back ?

Hi @TorontoIgroup but again, is that  a US toll free number? that us what I was asking 

from what we know , US toll free cannot be called from Canada and won't work on forwarding, too

TorontoIgroup

Back in 2017 or 2018, the PM number was setup to be call forwarded to the 1-855 number. All worked well. When I went to check the usage on the line, there was no usage for the past 3 months. So I tried dialing the PM number (which is call forwarded to the 1-855 number) and I get beep/beep/beep/dead line. 

So sometime happened within PM back in Nov. 2022. Either they stopped allowing call forwarding to a toll free number, or something else has occurred. 

All I know is that the process worked successfully since 2017 or 2018. Now it doesn't.  

Hi @TorontoIgroup you meant it was working before when you forward it to a US toll free line??

RCO

Awesome ,

Way to Hang in there 

I note that your original post did say it worked 

in the past

I note that at least one of our smarter Folks 

was a little dismissive.

Regards of Result 

I admire you following it to whatever logical 

conclusion

Bravo

Bravo

TorontoIgroup

I requested a ticket for this issue. It is in the Technical Teams' hands. This PM number has only been used as a call forwarding number to the USA toll free line. The PM number had been used as a helpline number for years and years until we moved the helpline service to an 1-855 toll line. The call forwarding worked from approx. 2017 - Nov. 2022., then stopped working sometime in Nov. 2022. The PM team referred the matter to their Tech team and I am told I will have a response between 24 - 72 hrs. from now.

HI 

I just tested forwarding to a toll free and I got the same result 😞

So, free forwarding to toll free number is gone then, i guess

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I can also confirm that call forwarding to a 1-866 number that is definitely Canadian (here in Saskatchewan) also allows programming, but only results in a busy signal for the caller. Oh well, I guess it was good while it lasted! We're lucky we have free call forwarding at all with Public Mobile -- Both Telus Mobility & Koodo postpaid plans charge either 60c/min or $3.00 per month for the privilege.

It still works for me to any other Canadian number though, including the territories. (I just tested to Iqaluit)

@hTideGnow- Use any number. How about this one from Hawaii. 1-866-767-4528. A couple other toll free numbers I found were geographically restricted. (with caller id off?). How about RBC 1-800-769-2511.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI, 

OP has not share the phone number.   I kinda suspect the number is not a Canadian one

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Also, other regulars could be trying these call forwards themselves to find out. I'm out of country so can't verify for myself. I do know that roaming can't forward to a normal US number.

RCO

Bravo 

I thought that too but was not sure enough to post .

Worth Repeating

Please note that customer service isn't provided over the phone nor by e-mail.

@Swagoto1 wrote:

you should try calling 611 or email public mobile 

Please note that customer service isn't provided over the phone nor by e-mail.

Swagoto1

you should try calling 611 or email public mobile 

RCO

I think its good to try and exhaust the possibilities

thats what I like about PubMo

In this problem even if there is no solution

that is solution in and of itself

Cheer

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi all, 

AFAIK,  forward to non Canadian toll free won't work.  In fact, if the toll free is US only, calling direct won't work either.

Also, calling US only toll free won't work even with US LD add-on there.  

Would be helpful if OP can share the number and we can all test

TorontoIgroup

I'm suspecting that PM has stopped any call forwarding to a toll free number (or maybe non Canadian toll free number)?  Because it did work for many years, but only recently did it stop working. I did try un-forwarding from the 1-855 number and forwarded to my home local number (416) and that worked fine. Re-forwarded to the 1-855 number and no go. I've just now opened a ticket and will let you all know what comes from that.

RCO

I throw in this 

Towers and borders plus US add on

Clearly this did work for for Torontolgroup in the past

as stated if it was me I would try an exhaust at least a couple few more possibilities.

@Yummy wrote:

@TorontoIgroup wrote:

I can say it is a USA based number.

Could that be a clue???? USA number...?

PM has free calls to Canada wide but for US you need add-on. Now, will PM 'recognize' you DO have US minutes and forwarding - that is another mystery.

Unless some programming has changed recently that I'm not aware of, you are only able to forward calls to Canadian numbers. Even if you have an add-on for US calling.

RCO

Yummy Awesome suggestion 

Note I have updated my Avatar to Snail

@TorontoIgroup wrote:

I can say it is a USA based number.

Could that be a clue???? USA number...?

PM has free calls to Canada wide but for US you need add-on. Now, will PM 'recognize' you DO have US minutes and forwarding - that is another mystery.

RCO

I know you probably tried without the 1

I would also wonder if there is any settings 

to adjust on phone 

or if the phone operating system updated since it last worked.

and again suggest if can replicate with a friends phone 

If it was me I would keep trying to exhaust at least a few more possibilities but it could be

just one of those things that remain mystery

Cheer

TorontoIgroup

I can say it is a USA based number. It had worked well for years, however, it would appear that it stopped working sometime in 2022.  I can call the 1-855 number directly and it works, but if I try calling my PM number  which I have as unconditional called forward to the 1-855 number, I now get beep/beep/beep/hangup.

RCO

fwiw , 

If it is a personall 855 one may not want to put it out there even 

for the PM

another thought would be

can it be done with or without 1 855 or just 855

Need Help? Let's chat.