mw2020
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What is this disgusting Spam + Refer code + phone number,

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG1.JPG

27 REPLIES 27

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious   how could you miss the "meat" of this thread???

I am a bit surprise to see our referral code user has been very inactive lately , in fact has not been online for 2 days.  I hope it is because he is busing picking a new username.. maybe going back to his business phone number as username again?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious, was there a reason I was tagged?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite @ShawnC13 @softech @Anonymous 

I'm not sure how I missed 90% of this thread and most importantly the response from @J_PM ? However this is what I am wondering about since the username in question is in obvious violation of the community terms of service many times over and is quite aware that they are and their purpose for choosing their username as such. And still no action has been taken against the user.

Then a post by @Anonymous  in the discussion thread in the lounge triggered my memory on the action that pm has taken in the past on an objectional community username that was swift and irreversible and without any warning except a follow up message of the action that was taken.

Some of you may recall I have told the story of choosing your community name carefully but many similar examples still exist without any action taken. But for those who are unfamiliar with this story....not long after I joined the community my bf decided to create his community account and send me a private message to get my attention. Which he did and we had a good laugh at his choice of username which I then warned him you better change that because you might get in trouble. But once created you cannot change your username without contacting customer support so after a couple of hours of figuring out that it couldn't be changed I said I would reach out in morning to get it fixed.

Well about 8 hours later the bf recieved an email from the community "monitors" advising him his username was unacceptable and it was changed to his email without the @email.com part. But we were soon to discover that there was no way for him to log in. When I tried to log in I got a big red warning that our IP address was banned. I was at a loss but the bf at least figured out that a VPN could be used to circumvent the IP address ban.

Once I contacted customer support on the bf's behalf I was told his username was changed to his email but it was inaccessible. It was nearly 6 months later when I asked again about the bf getting the ability to contact customer support that we learned that the username could not be changed because that swift action that was taken within 8 hours of creating the account and even though he had never posted in the community and just sending a total of two private messages to me had resulted in the immediate ban of his email along with our IP address.

Eventually I was told by a CSA that the only option was to create a new community account with a new email address and to change the self serve account's email address to the new community account's email address. The IP address ban could not be lifted.

Luckily by sheer coincidence the poor internet speed we were recieving from telus was finally addressed by a technician who discovered that despite being upgraded to high speed fibre optic cable we never had our router upgraded and once it was replaced it also changed our IP address although someone in our neighbourhood has now been banned from the community for the last two years or so....

My point is if such swift justice was meted out to @big_rick why has the current offensive username not met the same fate?

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nobody is required to have a community account. Of course if you want or need help then you need to be able to communicate through private messages.

I created my community account some time after activating.

@softech wrote:

(hey.. only My Account was created during activation.  Community account created after..)

@softech  - oh...I actually don't remember actually creating my Community Account. I know it was the same day as my activation, but I don't remember creating it separately.

I REALLY thought it was during online activation. 🤔

Activation pages has changed quite a bit since then though. I think it is time to help a friend activate, heck I got the spare SIMs, where is the next dealio!?

@esjliv wrote:

I suppose there could always be workarounds, like "USE-A2B3C4". Trying to see if there is a system fix rather than a manual changing tail one.

@esjliv  You are suggesting the possible new names for our smart smart referral code friend?  LoL

He is smart, he knows the system well, well before he activate, and he put himself into this position.

(hey.. only My Account was created during activation.  Community account created after..)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Isn't the Community Username created during the SIM card activation when done online?

With the exception of in-store activations, the only way to create a username with 'said code' would be to create another community account after the fact, or request an existing one to be changed.

@J_PM  I know this may be a lot to ask, as we are always asking for something 😁... but has it been brought forward about not allowing a 6-digit alphanumeric community username?

If that is, in fact, what all referral codes currently exist of.

I suppose there could always be workarounds, like "USE-A2B3C4". Trying to see if there is a system fix rather than a manual changing tail one.

Tidbit of info - I have calculated this many allowable alphanumeric combinations for six digits - 2,176,782,336.

Just kidding, google calculated it.

Thanks @J_PM  .  I am happy that you respond this directly.  We need to see you more here  🙂

We understand your concern and appreciate your feedback. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J_PM : Correct. No one needs to know specifics. But actions are visible and inaction is bad PR. Otherwise the peace and harmony you want dissolves and frustration escalates from seeing the inaction go on an indefinite, unknown period of time. The brief mentions of we're looking into it and continuing to see inaction are also frustrating. You have a group of very passionate people here that care about the goings-on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite : Well...yes...of course they can be offered the choice. And a time limit. Failure to respond in that time will result in stoppage of posting. Your steps are exactly bang on. I had mentioned much the same earlier on elsewhere.

@J_PM  "Why wouldn't you change the username?"

Because member gets the choice?  In any case expect it will be, at least, these steps:

• Jade is alerted to a suspect Community username 
  • Jade confirms it is a referral code 
  • Jade informs the member their username must be modified and requests the new name
  • Jade changes the member's Community username

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@J_PM thank you for the clarity, and reinforcement of the wording of the ToS and the support to deal with violations of the ToS

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J_PM: So upon making a post, the user with the referral code as their username will lose the community reward. Why wouldn't you change the username? Maybe they don't care enough about the reward but it remains a violation to post using it and so is an affront to the community. A slap in the face.

Edit: and then any quotes or tags of them will be in violation.

This behavior is defined as spam. It could warrant removal from the Community Rewards for the month in which the infraction was committed. 

Thank you, 

Jade 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @J_PM . And what action will be taken with usernames being the referral code?

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community, 

Thank you for bringing this thread to our attention. 

A few reminders with regards to referral codes:

1. In order to keep our Community spam free, please do not share out referral codes anywhere on the forum, as it violates Community terms of service. In addition, any referral codes shared through private messages is considered unsolicited spam. 

Jade_S_1-1644258068664.png

2. As listed in our Terms of Service, moderation roles in our Community such as CSA and Oracles are authorized to report or delete/edit any content on the forum that violates terms of service, referral codes included.

3. Community members who continue to spam and or violate terms of service may experience further action i.e warnings, bannings. 

If you need a fresher, please check out our onboarding links: Terms of Service and  Community Relationship Agreement

Thank you, 

Jade 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mw2020  - that phone number is actually a valid phone number for porting ONLY issues, it is not a scam.

I would like to point out there may be more hazardous messages you may receive.

Look out for 'making money schemes' or 'winning iphones'. At least those are ones I have received in the past. These are true scammers. So be careful not to click on any links or provide any personal information to these messages/senders.

@mw2020 We have access to a hidden section in this community. That is where we report things to PM community manager and other staff. 

macsal
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mw2020  - I used to enjoy good 'ole fried spam.

Sorry, if I offended you. Really!

You were having an activation issue earlier today, so hoping you have successfully gotten through your initial glitchy start.

And, nonetheless, still hope you were able to use a referral code. 🙂

mw2020

what mean Oracle section,

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @mw2020 

ignore and delete.

or if you want to Report go right hand corner and clicking “Report Inappropriate Content”. 

read about Community Terms of Service (publicmobile.ca)

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mw2020, thanks for drawing attention to this.  I will put up a post for the community manager to see in the Oracle section

mw2020

yeah did activation and i open browser inprivate, so easy ending,

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @mw2020   You were having problem loading the activation earlier.  Were you able to load the site in the end?  Any problem with the activation in the end?

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mw2020  Another long time member not following the rules of the forums. @gpixel   should know that soliciting is not allowed however they have done it a few times along with others.

Sucks that some sink so low for a dollar 😂

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mw2020 

Just ignore the spam. If you want, you can click on the gear on the top left corner of the message and report it to the CS_Agent.

Need Help? Let's chat.