Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA vs Unlimited = Who's doing what?

Frank_M
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Screenshot (52).pngScreenshot (53).png

My wife and I both went for unlimited

My son went for USA

I figured I might go to the USA every 3 years or so and the unlimited data might be more important.

My son thinks he will never use all the data and the USA might eventually come in handy.

What is everyone else doing?

16 REPLIES 16

Sealevel51
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do any US plans, including the $30 for 15 day roaming, work in Alaska?  I was not able to call from Alaska last summer and have another trip this summer.  Need to be able to call Canada from the US (AK).

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

HI @Frank_M, my wife, daughter I all recently signed up with the $34 Canada/US plan. The roaming ability alone was what really sold us and 50 GB every 30 days, I don't think I'll ever come close. Most I have ever used up in all my years of having data is around 6 GB in a single month lol, and if you're worried that 50 GB might not be enough, for $6 more ($40) you can have 75 GB with Canada/US roaming, and for $50 you will have 100 GB Canada/US roaming. Even if you don't travel to the US a lot you can still call there without incuring long distance charges. Throttled data sounds like it might be very slow and not the experience we are used to having.

thiccrat_

ive never been to usa. i always use more than 50gb. so glad the data plans are better than a few years ago. spotify streaming, browsing online, twitch audio... etc. idk how people use so little! i also dont have regular public. wifi access everywhere i go, and apparently most people. do??? not me!

sanchower

This is a crazy good deal for US and Canada roaming. 50 GB is almost enough for 99% of the people.

Jedi1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I went with Can-US.  I likely won’t use the 50gb so I am not concerned about that threshold.  

Shubh2023

I used to have the $34 CAN plan, then I switched to US-CAN plan and have been using it for months! 
I do not intend to travel to anytime soon but atleast calling someone in USA can be handy, when in need, considering I know a few peeps in the States! 
I do not consume 50 gigs these days, it used to be in University.
But right now, I hardly cross the 10 GB mark, so I would still keep the US-Can plan, if I would have been in your shoes.
I agree with most people, on "limited time" offers from PM, so take it when you can! 

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

@Frank_M 

they are different plans.  

Personally, I think 50 GB is a lot of data already, I don't think I really need the unlimited data for overage, I rather have the US roaming.  A 15 day bundle is already $30, so I think it is more handy to have US roaming 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

To each their own. For me the US version is of significantly higher value. First is that I visit the US many times in a year, second is I have to call their frequently, and third, throttled data is too slow for my liking. I depend on my phone, so if I needed more than 50GB (I don't) I'd buy a bigger data plan.

funpig1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Frank_M   I don't think you can go wrong with either plan. Buy whichever plan makes sense for you now. You can always change your plan on renewal with PM. These particular plans are limited time and will change. However, chances are, if you wait, an even better new plan will come along. All you have to do is compare what $34 would have bought you 6 months ago or 6 years ago. I see that Freedom Mobile is coming out with some very nifty "roam beyond" plans which allow usage in 81 countries. PM will always need to update their plans to keep competitive.

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The US plan is better value in my opinion as they are very rare in Canada. 50GB is a lot to use up and Canadian carriers usually charge exorbitant prices like $10 a day for US roaming.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Personally I think that having unlimited heavily throttled data piggybacking onto a big gig plan is not useful.  It takes a lot of data intensive usage to use up 50GB in 30 days.  To expect super slow data to be a usable extension of the included data in data intensive applications is setting up for huge disappointment.  I looked at how long it would take for me to download a podcast and it comes out to about the playback time for the podcast itself.  I could be buffering an audio stream.  I would take my chances on US roaming even if there is the remote prospect of going once in a while.  There is also included US calling from Canada which can come in handy.  

KZ1964

@Frank_M    if you dont have a VoLTE compatible phone you would still be able to use it if you down load a VOIP app such as TEXTNOW.  If your phone is VoLTE compatible then double check that you phone is on the PM whitelist.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Frank_M  the better deal is the Canada-US package. 

Mind you, you must have a VoLTE enabled phone for it to work in the US. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

From what I see these are two different plans.

One is USA+Canada with 50GB data ONLY and the other one is Canada ONLY with 50GB and after using all 50GB slower iinternet.

You have to decide what is more important to you: unlimited DATA in Canada OR USA+Can service with limited data.

50GB is a LOT of data if you do not watch movies.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Frank_M 

Personally, I would get the USA roaming option over the unlimited throttled data.  I usually travel at least one per year to the USA.  Rarely go over the 50 GB and the unlimited throttled data is not useful except for maybe checking email.  

@Frank_M wrote:

Screenshot (52).pngScreenshot (53).png

My wife and I both went for unlimited

My son went for USA

I figured I might go to the USA every 3 years or so and the unlimited data might be more important.

My son thinks he will never use all the data and the USA might eventually com in handy.

What is everyone else doing?

As your son is saying that the service may be used in the US in the future, I would suggest to go ahead and have your sun get the plan that includes roaming.

Need Help? Let's chat.