cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US talk and text not working

Jkw3310
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on an iPhone 13 and added the 10 day U.S Talk and Text $15 plan. I can send and receive SMS messages. Issues: I cannot send or receive iMessages. I cannot make or receive calls. I should mention that I also have an Airalo data plan esim set up. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it!

18 REPLIES 18

@IanM1 wrote:

@softech wrote:

@IanM1 

1. You can get incoming text for free even without roaming addon.  Again, only incoming, you cannot reply

To do that, make sure you are connect to T-Mobile network  (SMS uses LTE network. YES, even you are on the "3G" plan , you can use the LTE/4G network)

2.  Again, even you are on the "3G plan" , you can and you are using LTE/4G network.  The "3G" plan just means you are on a 3G speed plan.  PM network runs data and sms on LTE/4G network (for both 3G Speed and 4G speed plan) and voice on the 3G network (for everyone).

If you buy the roaming data, YES, you can use the LTE/4G network even you are on the 3G speed plan

In case the roaming does not work due to coverage, you can open ticket with support and they will usually do something to compensate   

My concern is that the phone may be eligible to receive SMS and use data on LTE, but if it's not connecting to the network (T-Mobile for example) because there's no 3G service, the phone may not be recognized at all. This happened to my brother recently on a trip to Hawaii using a U.S. SIM he purchased which was supposed to use T-Mobile. The provider said his SIM and the associated account were fine, but his phone would not connect to T-Mobile at all because its configuration wasn't eligible for some reason (a Moto G6 on Rogers here).

@IanM1 if you set the phone preferred network to Automatic or 4G/LTE, when the phone sees T-Mobile 4G network, it would connect (no worry about the missing 3G).

The missing 3G network will only come into a concern when voice call comes, the phone will try to switch to 3G and 2G to pick up the call, then it will see if there is a stable TMobile 2G network for it to connect

IanM1

@softech wrote:

@IanM1 

1. You can get incoming text for free even without roaming addon.  Again, only incoming, you cannot reply

To do that, make sure you are connect to T-Mobile network  (SMS uses LTE network. YES, even you are on the "3G" plan , you can use the LTE/4G network)

2.  Again, even you are on the "3G plan" , you can and you are using LTE/4G network.  The "3G" plan just means you are on a 3G speed plan.  PM network runs data and sms on LTE/4G network (for both 3G Speed and 4G speed plan) and voice on the 3G network (for everyone).

If you buy the roaming data, YES, you can use the LTE/4G network even you are on the 3G speed plan

In case the roaming does not work due to coverage, you can open ticket with support and they will usually do something to compensate   

My concern is that the phone may be eligible to receive SMS and use data on LTE, but if it's not connecting to the network (T-Mobile for example) because there's no 3G service, the phone may not be recognized at all. This happened to my brother recently on a trip to Hawaii using a U.S. SIM he purchased which was supposed to use T-Mobile. The provider said his SIM and the associated account were fine, but his phone would not connect to T-Mobile at all because its configuration wasn't eligible for some reason (a Moto G6 on Rogers here).

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I was in West Maui recently and everything worked fine. Just be sure you're properly connected to T-Mobile.

Jkw3310

Thank you (and everyone) for your help 

@IanM1 

IanM1

I'm very confused about what works in the U.S. and what doesn't.

PM says that we can still receive SMS text messages for free in the U.S. even without a roaming plan. But is that true if we can't connect to a 3G network at all?

If we buy a 10-day U.S. Data add-on from PM, does that work on LTE in the U.S.? Even if we can't get a 3G voice connection?

I understand that with 3G fast disappearing in the U.S., there is no current reliable coverage map available. It's hit-or-miss. Does PM refund U.S. roaming packages if they can't tell us in advance whether they will work for our U.S. destination, and it turns out that they don't?

@Jkw3310   Yes, TextNow is a good workaround for making and receiving calls.  You will get a new 10 digit number and it works like a real phone , except you answer and make calls on the apps

Jkw3310

I will try “sending as Text message”. Thanks!

Jkw3310

Interesting @softech. That’s good to know.  it’s confusing that I just bought US talk and text but can’t use the talk part, lol. Thats what I was hoping to use while in the states. I will open up a ticket as you suggested to ask for some compensation. 

I do have a data plan via Airalo esim so perhaps I can try setting up TextNow (first I’ve heard of this!) as @Meow suggested. 

@Jkw3310 wrote:

thx I will try this. So to clarify, with this $15 US talk and text plan, I can turn on data roaming and not rack up roaming charges?

@Jkw3310   yes.  PM is prepaid, so no worry

but turning on roaming data would not get you data since the roaming you got does not include data

Btw, you cannot use roaming voice when in US. you can open ticket with PM support and they will compensate that for you

Jkw3310

thx I will try this. So to clarify, with this $15 US talk and text plan, I can turn on data roaming and not rack up roaming charges?

@Jkw3310   Seattle does not have a solid T-Mobile 2G network for voice, LTE for data or text is ok, but you might have trouble in getting voice on the 2G network

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Vacationing-in-Seattle-WA-early-September...

@JK8 , another confirmation with the voice issue in Seattle)

Jkw3310

Hi, I’m currently in Seattle (a one day layover that’s turned into 3 due to a cancelled Alaska flight). Then I will be in Maui 🤞🏻

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@hycm53 wrote:

Try manual to set to T-mobile. Turn on data and roaming on then iMessages should work. Since US turn of 3G talk service, so talk service is almost not working. Try download TextNow app, The TextNow app will give you a phone number so you can make a call and receive a call when you are with WIFI or with data on.

OP bought Talk and Text US add-on.

IMess uses data and not normal cellular network. TextNow uses DATA too. So non of this will work with Talk and Text.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

IMessage is apples 'fake texting app'. It uses DATA or WiFi not actual cellular network.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Jkw3310   iMessage needs data.  You need Roaming Data to use it

But you have Roaming text, try to send as SMS on your iPhone

. Tap and hold these individual messages until you get an option menu.
Tap Send as Text Message.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Jkw3310 wrote:

I am on an iPhone 13 and added the 10 day U.S Talk and Text $15 plan. I can send and receive SMS messages. Issues: I cannot send or receive iMessages. I cannot make or receive calls. I should mention that I also have an Airalo data plan esim set up. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it!

Try manual to set to T-mobile. Turn on data and roaming on then iMessages should work. Since US turn of 3G talk service, so talk service is almost not working. Try download TextNow app, The TextNow app will give you a phone number so you can make a call and receive a call when you are with WIFI or with data on.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jkw3310   iMessage is not true Text., it requires Mobile data or wifi.  You only t got Roaming Talk and Text.  

For Talk, which state and city you are at?  It needs T-Mobile 2G network for the voice.  Not everywhere have solid TMobile 2G connection.  check different area

Need Help? Let's chat.