cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US data roaming doesn't work and is eating up funds

msrosalin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Stranded in a foreign city without data roaming, purchased  data roaming plan, set the APN as instructed, checked my phone model - but it doesn't work!!! Although it will show I am using data - I am getting zero benefit from this. It isn't even connecting. I literally do not have internet and right now am borrowing a stranger's internet to type this. Please help. This is unacceptable and dangerous!! I am in a major city - Portland.

11 REPLIES 11

@msrosalin 

Maybe try rebooting your phone by powering off the phone then power back on. See if that helps.

If not, an agent will get back to you tomorrow as their hours are 6:00am to 10:00pm EST.

Keep you eyes on the envelope icon above for a response from an CS_Agent.

msrosalin

Oh i finally got in touch with PM. Thanks.

msrosalin

Hi Softech, thanks for your response.
Yes i have enabled data roaming and i do see t-mobile on my phone from time to time but always for a split second and never long enough for any sort of meaningful use. It splits between T-mobile and something else called "EDGE". 

Never knew T-mobile network was so poor. 
I cannot even get in contact with PM - how do I do that? Thanks.

msrosalin

I bought a Cad $30 dollar bundle that includes 3GB US data roaming, talk and text.  it is showing up in my add ons as separate items but I have paid for them and they are showing in my add ons.

msrosalin

Pixel 4a thanks Maxium_gato

msrosalin

Hi computergeekr541 thanks for your response! I'm with Public Mobile, bought the roaming data/talk/tex add on for roaming in Portland. My phone mostly trying to connect, it will show "EDGE" or T-mobile sometimes for a split second but still fail to connect to data in any meaningful way. My SMS/Text does't even work consistently. It's very very poor connectivity and i haven't been able to use it at all. I'm relying on local colleagues to help me get lyft, navigate, etc. It's been terrible.
I think what i am seeing is my normal dataplan usage for non-roaming? in any case I need roaming mobile data to work. 

@msrosalin wrote:

Stranded in a foreign city without data roaming, purchased  data roaming plan, set the APN as instructed, checked my phone model - but it doesn't work!!! Although it will show I am using data - I am getting zero benefit from this. It isn't even connecting. I literally do not have internet and right now am borrowing a stranger's internet to type this. Please help. This is unacceptable and dangerous!! I am in a major city - Portland.

Data use at Public Mobile doesn't deplete your Public Mobile account balance. Public Mobile doesn't have any pay-per-use charges.  Are you with Public Mobile or with a a different carrier?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@msrosalin 

What is your make and model of phone?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@msrosalin 

are you certain you successfully bought the correct 15 Day Us Roaming (Data) add-on" ?

dataaddon.png

plan.jpg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@msrosalin  Are you able to connect to T-Mobile LTE / 4G network?

You have enabled Data roaming on your phone itself?  this is critical 

Honest, the roaming success falls on the reliability of T-Mobile network and sometimes it is out of PM 's control

Portland might not have great roaming as another posts mentioned:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Not-Working/m-p/887133

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-data-roaming/m-p/414613

Maybe try again in different part of the city

and worst case, get a local data sim first

For the roaming addon, PM is usually fair and will reverse the transaction if the roaming didn't work out

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@msrosalin 

If you purchased a US Roaming, you need to connect to T-Mobile in your cellular network setting.

Need Help? Let's chat.