cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling to Mexico - Will my phone work.

Armondo1411
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!

I will be travelling to Mexico in the near future. 

From what I've read it sounds like I will not have any data while there, and will only have 300 mins of phone calls if I sign up for the international minutes. 

Just wanted to get others input on it on their experience. 

Thanks!  

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Armondo1411 

In addition to the excellent link supplied by @softech with another member's first hand experience purchasing a telcel "chip" and plan in Mexico this blog contains some great info and links for you to plan your cell coverage for your trip. Downloading WhatsApp and either textnow or fongo to call forward your pm phone # to before leaving Canada should cover all of your needs while you are away. Enjoy your holiday!

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-mexico/

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Armondo1411 

As others have stated, the international calling works if you call from Canada to specific countries on the PM list.

You will need to purchase a local SIM in Mexico. In addition, you can download WhatsApp (other party must have app as well to work) or TexNow app for free wifi calling and texting.

Armondo1411
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Really don't want to get over there assuming it will work, and my kids can't get ahold of me and freak out lol 

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Excellent idea to ask the community rather than assuming.  👍

Keep searching the website and reading past posts and answers for more information.  In many ways, Public Mobile is pretty awesome if you educate yourself. 

Enjoy your trip to Mexico! 🍹

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just use the hotel WIFI.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

PM does NOT provide service in Mexico or anywhere else outside of Can+USA

softech
Oracle
Oracle

HI @Armondo1411 

PM does not have roaming service in Mexico.

And no, your 300 mins of LD mins is not to be used there, it is ONLY used to call FROM Canada to other countries

But you can still put a Mexican sim card in your phone to use the data there

you can get a Mexian sim  from convenience store or sometimes hotel has it too.  Try Telcel card.  

Check this for the local sim experience from another PM customer while in Mexico

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Mexico-use/m-p/935854#M644177

And , download VoIP app TextNow to use voice and text for free on the app.  It will works as long as you have Wifi or Local Mobile data

WolverineCaz

When I went i strictly used the wifi when I could. Here's another thread on the same topic: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Coverage-in-Mexico/td-p/492062 

pmva

@Armondo1411 I think the international minutes is just for outbound from Canada to international destinations.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Armondo1411  No PM only works in Canada and US with roaming , best to get local SIM card in Mexico for your trip 

Need Help? Let's chat.