cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toll free numbers minutes being counted

ricardosalas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I have a 100 minutes a month plan. I just received a message that I only have 10 minutes left, when I check my callig history the Toll Free numbers, as their are also categorized by the account, are being counted on the 100 minutes. Is that correct? Toll Free aren't supposed to be FREE?

Hope you can help me out. 

26 REPLIES 26

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

It would only be counted as 0 seconds/minutes if the other end did not answer.

HI @Nezgar 

I thought someone said the minute are counted even no one picks up.  Always confused about that

Minutes are NOT consumed if the other end does NOT answer, or you end the call before they do.

Minutes ARE counted (from the start of ringing) if the other end answers, including if their voicemail answers even for 1s.

and lastly, 60 seconds counted as 2 mins and not 1?

We're getting into semantics here, but a minute has 60 seconds, numbered 0 through 59. Second "number 60" is the 61st second (since we start from 0), which is part of the 2nd billing minute. Just like you never see time notated as 1:60 PM, because that would be 2:00 PM. 😉

@Nezgar wrote:

It would only be counted as 0 seconds/minutes if the other end did not answer.

HI @Nezgar 

I thought someone said the minute are counted even no one picks up.  Always confused about that

and lastly, 60 seconds counted as 2 mins and not 1?

@Hiteshgrand wrote:

@darlicious 

I saw a post that gave a method to connect to lengthy customer care calls, that may not be toll free. 

It said dial with some voip app and then add your number and disconnect voip. 

Do you know that post or the method, which app is that. I am not able to find that post now..

The process was to use Fongo mobile to initiate a call to your Public Mobile number (since $15 plan has unlimited incoming minutes), and then in the fongo app conference/3way call the actual party you want to call, and then I forget if you just mute fongo or if you can disconnect it and it will leave the two conferenced calls connected still.

@hTideGnow wrote:

So, the minute will not could before the 5th ring?  after the 5th ring even no one picked up, it counted as 1 mins?

Each "ring" is approximately 5-6 seconds. so 5 "rings" would be about 30 seconds.

and why 52 seconds in order for it to count just 1 mins and not 2 mins?  it it because 4 rings and each ring is 2 seconds?

1 through 59 seconds would count as 1 minute. 60  to 119 seconds would count as 2 minutes, etc - including ring time. It would only be counted as 0 seconds/minutes if the other end did not answer. There are some cases where business phone systems will "answer" the call, then ring the internal extension while playing ring sounds to your ear on the connected call. (ie in a call transfer/follow-me/internal forward situation)

HI @darlicious   

So, the minute will not could before the 5th ring?  after the 5th ring even no one picked up, it counted as 1 mins?

and why 52 seconds in order for it to count just 1 mins and not 2 mins?  it it because 4 rings and each ring is 2 seconds?

Hiteshgrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@darlicious 

I saw a post that gave a method to connect to lengthy customer care calls, that may not be toll free. 

It said dial with some voip app and then add your number and disconnect voip. 

Do you know that post or the method, which app is that. I am not able to find that post now..

Hiteshgrand

@darlicious 

Yes , but in that case I could not hear rings or anything. The network of Public was so poor. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Hiteshgrand 

It sounds like thise calls connected in some way but you were unable to communicate with the recipient. The system counts a call's ring time if it connects to voicemail for example. If you want to avoid minutes being metered hang up by the 4th ring but before the 5th ring. Or during a call hang up by 52 seconds but before 53 seconds to avoid rounding up to the next minute. (Or 1 min 52 seconds, 2min and 52 seconds etc....)

Hiteshgrand

@darlicious 

Sorry, my mistake. It was not charged for toll free number. But some minutes were charged for calls that I tried to call but were not connected , due to network issues at my end. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Hiteshgrand 

Did you test this in your account? If this is occurring what plan do you have? Did you test as per @Nezgar's post above?

Hiteshgrand

Toll free are supposed to be free calls, and not deducted from free minutes. I checked that Public is charging and deducting even for toll free calls. So please raise a complaint to correct their system.

@ricardosalas wrote:

As a matter of fact it showed as inutes used

If you are just looking at the "View My Usage" report after your call, that call history does not indicate whether a call used minutes or not.

The only way to tell if a call used minutes or not is by noting the number of minutes used in self-serve BEFORE a call, and then note the number of minutes again AFTER the call.

If you can test again (even for 30 seconds) to see if it increments your usage by 1 minute or not. I highly suspect it won't.

Also what is the prefix of the tollfree number you are calling? Does it start with 1-8xx-xxx-xxxx ? Those should not consume your minutes. Numbers like 811, 311, 310-xxxx, will use minutes.

ricardosalas

I did and the minutes were reduced

ricardosalas

As a matter of fact it showed as inutes used

ricardosalas

Sure, it was a toll free number from a private insurance company

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ricardosalas wrote:

Hello,

I have a 100 minutes a month plan. I just received a message that I only have 10 minutes left, when I check my callig history the Toll Free numbers, as their are also categorized by the account, are being counted on the 100 minutes. Is that correct? Toll Free aren't supposed to be FREE?

Hope you can help me out. 

@ricardosalas  -

If you have a number you would like to call in mind, simply call it. Once it starts ringing (as with all other outgoing calls) is also when the counter starts. If there is a recording which there likely will be a menu of some sort...just wait or fiddle around, like, for 1 and 1/2 minutes before you disconnect.

Be sure to look at your OVERVIEW minute counter before you make the call, note the minutes. Call it, 1 and a bit minutes later hang up. 

You should see the call logged in your Detail usage now...BUT, the question you want to know IS did it deduct from the OVERVIEW plan minute counter.

Best solution will be try and see. No harm done, other than a loss of 1 or 2 minutes _ IF they count.

If they do count (let @Nezgar know 😉 )

No overages here, so you will not be charged anything extra.

@softech wrote:

I think generally most 1-800 number do not count towards the minute

I'm all ears if someone actually finds a toll-free number that consumes minutes.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@ricardosalas wrote:

when I check my callig history the Toll Free numbers, as their are also categorized by the account, are being counted on the 100 minutes.

Unfortunately the calling history under "view my usage" does NOT indicate which calls counted against your minutes buckets. The only way to tell which calls used minutes is to make note of the remaining minutes available on your self-serve overview page before and after a particular call.

With that said, my experience and testing with the $15 plan has found that all calls to toll free numbers to not consume minutes:

1-800

1-833

1-844

1-855

1-866

1-877

1-888

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Was only hold 45 minutes today for Footlocker. Toll free number. Zero minutes charged.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy wrote:

@Meow I think recognized number would be for government agency like the CRA or health department.

Well, toll free number should be toll free. I never heard of 'recognized' toll free numbers.

Whoever sets them up pays the call charge. There should be no discrimination if you call government or Sony or whatever.

@ricardosalas 

Toll free numbers in North America should not use your outgoing minutes. International toll free numbers will use your international minutes. Are you seeing them metered in your plans minute counter or just recorded in your daily usage pages?

I think generally most 1-800 number do not count towards the minute

@ricardosalas  what number were you calling? do you mind to share?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

@Meow I think recognized number would be for government agency like the CRA or health department.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Triguy wrote:

If it is a recognized toll free number then it should not count towards your minutes.

See this previous thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Does-calling-toll-free-numbers-use...

How would you define 'recognized' toll free number? If company OP is calling says 'call this toll free number' it should be free, correct?

Can you post few of those toll free numbers unless they are confidential; I am curious to see them and investigate.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If it is a recognized toll free number then it should not count towards your minutes.

See this previous thread.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Does-calling-toll-free-numbers-use...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ricardosalas 

your plan for $15 have 100 minutes Canada-wide minutes
+BONUS 250 MB with AutoPay
Unlimited
Incoming Calls
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging,

for any call you make is will be counted from your minutes also for Voicemail,

if you want to Purchase Add-Ons for

• 500 Canada-wide Minutes for $5

sign in to Self-Serve, to review your account, 

How To Purchase Add-Ons Using Your Self-Serve Account

Follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’,
  5. after purchase successful you have to do Rebooting your phone
    what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

another option if you want to change your plan to $25

500 MB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
Unlimited
Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging

and click Here link  to you know how to Change Your Plan online,

you can choose at your next plan renewal date. To change your plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.