cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut off SMS email gateway?

MXkeVd1omkS1bia
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there any way to have the SMS/e-mail gateway disabled for my account?  I am suddenly getting all sorts of spam via [myNumber]@msg.koodomobile.com.

Please don’t suggest blocking the originator— they change their address each time. 

[Edited to add: And, no, I am not changing my phone number.  

Also, just because you don’t know or know that this option is not available via the user interface doesn’t mean it’s impossible. If I walked into PM headquarters with a million dollars to offer to the engineer who solved this problem, you know it would get solved. I am hoping to find a solution without a bounty. 🙂 Please don’t respond unless you have technical insight. ]

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @MXkeVd1omkS1bia AFAIK, this is not something you can turn it off.  It is  a free feature.   But one that Pm didn't really advertises

MXkeVd1omkS1bia

This isn’t the response I was hoping for, but the workarounds in the article are probably the best anyone in the community can do. 

There was a typo in the URL. The article can be found here: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/block-robotexts-and-spam-messages

Thanks, @Luddite !

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@MXkeVd1omkS1bia  Perhaps useful? https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/block-robotexts-and-spam-messages

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

MXkeVd1omkS1bia

Not on iphone. The message appears from the email address of the sender. 

JRSRfin

Luckily, these messages should all come to your phone from the same number, generally (999) 999-9999. There is no way to turn off the email gateway for your account, but there are multiple ways of blocking the number at your end. Some phones have SMS spam functions, but even if yours doesn't you should be able to just save the number as a contact, and change its notification settings to no notification/pop-ups and no sound. In that case they still appear in your text app, but you won't notice them anymore. Of course, this won't be a solution if you actually use the email gateway...

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@MXkeVd1omkS1bia wrote:

Is there any way to have the SMS/e-mail gateway disabled for my account?  I am suddenly getting all sorts of spam via [myNumber]@msg.koodomobile.com.

Please don’t suggest blocking the originator— they change their address each time. 

[Edited to add: And, no, I am not changing my phone number.  

Also, just because you don’t know or know that this option is not available via the user interface doesn’t mean it’s impossible. If I walked into PM headquarters with a million dollars to offer to the engineer who solved this problem, you know it would get solved. I am hoping to find a solution without a bounty. 🙂 Please don’t respond unless you have technical insight. ]

One million dollars is not a lot of money as you think. If you can offer at least 10 million dollars that may will help, lol.

Of course, @softech ...  i wouldn't, others may.

@HALIMACS better luck if the number was ported in.  Those spammers do know the set of number they are "attacking"  belongs to Telus/Koodo.  If you have a ported   number, they won't "attack" you (let say Rogers number) on the Koodo domain

and honest , you don't move house because of junk mail , why would you change number for spam text.. lol

Uhm, it could help @softech , shouldn't it?

The destination is the user's mobile number.   If they have a new number, there's a good chance they'll not occur.  (at least unless the Spammers reach them on the OP's new number...)

Am I missing something in offering the recommendation? 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@MXkeVd1omkS1bia no, you cannot turn off the email to sms gateway.  No way to do that.  It is  convenient for people to "text" you without. a phone on hand, but it also a GOLD for spammers

Changing number won't help either. those spammers just programmatically generate those email..They weren't really just targeting you.  Hope it will die down when they are tired of the Koodo domain

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@MXkeVd1omkS1bia 

May not be a relevant option, but you can change your number with public mobile 4 times per cycle, free of charge.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MXkeVd1omkS1bia 

You can be unsubscribed from promotional marketing from brands under the telus umbrella but keep in mind this also unsubscribes you from  promotional freebies like the holiday gifts, targeted promotional plans and the like and may prevent you from recieving notices regarding rate hikes or changes to plan features or key terms. Contact customer support if you want to be unsubsribed from these kind of marketing promotions.

Edit:

As pointed out that these are spammers taking advantage of the koodo name vs just excessive marketing under the telus family my suggestion will not be effective in this case.

@MXkeVd1omkS1bia please ignore my advice.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I do not think PM can turn off SMS for you.

And as you said, there is no way to block these numbers as they are all spoofed anyway. Be patient and they will eventually stop.

I have not received not one spam SMS during last year. And I did block voice mail so no spam calls there either. It was a little nightmare before I blocked vmail receiving all kind of messages in foreign languages.

Need Help? Let's chat.