cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card

Timmy2021
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

does the SIM card has to be issued by the carrier with special instruction to make the phone work?

144 REPLIES 144

Timmy2021

JK8, thanks for the Youtube link.  I downloaded AT&T version.  Wow, I'll be staying up all day and all night to get to know Samsung's system.  Good night. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just choose AT&T but it probably doesn't matter.

@Timmy2021 

YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/rEWt7e04VW0

Samsung Galaxy A01 for Beginners (Learn The Basics in Minutes)

Timmy2021

z10user4, thanks for the link to the manual, there are 4 version, which one is right for mine?

Timmy2021

Yes, exactly, may be I have to keep touching it.  Cool, there is audio speech telling the status and giving instruction. I need an operating manual, it does not come with one.  The voice keeps saying install services.  

https://investorshangout.com/images/MYImages/1429796072_SamsungGalaxyA01(2).png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Are you turning it on and not doing anything with it? It's likely a timeout to save battery. You could certainly go ahead and fiddle with it while it's plugged in.

Looks like you have a bit of a learning curve with this being your first phone and all. 🙂

Timmy2021

There is a on/off button on the right side, it turns on alright, but after a couple mininte it shut off, how can I make it stay on?

@Timmy2021 wrote:

i just got my Samsung Galaxy A01 cell phone, it doesn't turn on, does the battery needs to be charged? It looks like new with a label on it, it comes with a charger, I am charging it.  There is a pin, is it used to open the SIM card slot? But how does it open it, it is not easy. Please help.

@Timmy2021 

You may need to charge first.  Charge for about 30-60 minutes and then try to power up.

Most phones need to have the SIM card tray open by using some pin.  The pin is usually included in the packaging.  Press the hole and the tray should open.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Usually there's a little juice for initial startup but it's always recommended to charge up first.

The SIM tray extraction tool needs a little care to use. Insert it straight in to the hole until it stops. Then just that little more push pressure will pop the tray out a bit. Then you can pull the tray out.

If you remember a cd drive tray with the manual open...it's much the same.

Timmy2021

i just got my Samsung Galaxy A01 cell phone, it doesn't turn on, does the battery needs to be charged? It looks like new with a label on it, it comes with a charger, I am charging it.  There is a pin, is it used to open the SIM card slot? But how does it open it, it is not easy. Please help.

@Timmy2021

There is "new" just released new phone, new sealed in the box but could be 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 year old phone. Then there is refurbished like pm phones for sale, open box which is basically unused and returned by a buyer, display model basically new but been handled and turned on and used for sale of phone's and then used which have been used usually by the seller and as is....

@Timmy2021 wrote:

Thanks guys for the eye-opening information.  May be that is why users keep buy new phone, because lack of update just like Windows 7 and because of hardware limitation.  Is there anti-virus software for cell phones? Do carriers alert their subscribers about software update?  My phone is said by the seller as "factory unlocked", it was produced in January, 2020 so it is quite new.  Just as not all used cars are lemons, some rich users simply want to switch to the latest cell phone. 

Yes, there are anti-virus on the phone.. but I use the one came with Samsung.. I am not sure if A01 comes with it.. if not Google search for a reliable one

No..  Carrier won't stop you from using old phones.. but Google will.

The oldest Android devices won't be able to use Google sign-ins from September | TechRadar

.. but too be fair.. What Google stopping is one that from 11 years ago..

like you can't really blame a government to stop a  11 years old cars, which no longer going for service and old change (security updates),  running on the road ..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 

to save your device always used Browser in new inprivate window
how to open any Browser inprivate visit  Here ,....

Timmy2021

Thanks guys for the eye-opening information.  May be that is why users keep buy new phone, because lack of update just like Windows 7 and because of hardware limitation.  Is there anti-virus software for cell phones? Do carriers alert their subscribers about software update?  My phone is said by the seller as "factory unlocked", it was produced in January, 2020 so it is quite new.  Just as not all used cars are lemons, some rich users simply want to switch to the latest cell phone. 

@Timmy2021   Samsung A01 will likely get software update for another year at least.     

Unlike Windows, phone manufacturer won't support their phones that long.  Samsung has been doing a decent jobs in terms or providing security updates to their phones.  At some points, your phone will not get any more OS update from Samsung, but no worry.  Make sure the apps are updated regularly and you certainly can use your phone for another 3 to 5 years after that "safely" (yes, nothing is 100% safe , even you are getting OS/security update now)

@Timmy2021 

All phones eventually stop getting software and security updates. Some sooner than others... typically Chinese phones such as Umidigi and others get only one or two updates with Huawei being one of the exceptions.The flagship phones of Google, Samsung etc....get 3 to 5 years of updates the low end models usually get 3 years. Apple gives updates much longer but restricts battery life thru those updates to eventually get you to fork out more money.

Updates  ( or not getting them)will primarily affect the use of nfc, certain apps and you must be extra cautious using websites with poor security etc.....so hackers, viruses etc don't infect your phone. There are lots of members here using phones that are 10 years old you just have to be aware of the risks or limitations that come with using an older generation phone. That's why buying two of the same phone was curious to us.....

@Timmy2021...it's not good practice to buy a used cell phone on eBay. Use this link to make sure the phone isn't blacklisted / reported stolen somewhere.

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Also make sure your phone is unlocked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 

i know 

but you have to do a update the software for your device visit Here 

or Here ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : No. It's Samsung or Android that will provide these updates. Not PM. It just means that when they're no longer providing those updates that some sites may become not-secure for security. You could still use the internet (for yet another while) but it might be wise not to login to a bank account or something.

Timmy2021

@ S--S

This is a phone I bought from eBay, and this is the first cell phone in my life, I don't any previous carrier and I don't have any cell phone number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 wrote:

"Browsing the internet and using some websites becomes an issue after the phone is no longer supported for security updates" 

What does that mean? Does PM has security measure just like Microsoft's Updates? Does that mean I cannot surf internet in the future?

@Timmy2021 

what are you trying to do to getting that.....

i suggest you close all Browser and do clear cache and cookies for any Browser,

how to clear cache and cookies in microsoft edge browser visit Here  

and use a Browser from your computer,is better

use Browser microsoft edge or chrome latest version
and just make sure your Browser is up to date update
sometime is the Browser is not update is give a issue.

for microsoft edge how to update your browser visit Here 

and Restart your computer, is will help a lot,

Timmy2021

"Browsing the internet and using some websites becomes an issue after the phone is no longer supported for security updates" 

What does that mean? Does PM has security measure just like Microsoft's Updates? Does that mean I cannot surf internet in the future?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 

important information you should know
about your Transferring A Phone Number 

Make sure that you have the old sim card in your phone when you're porting your number.

You should get a message from your old carrier asking to confirm if you would like to port your number. Your reply should be: YES.

Good luck and your welcome to Public Mobile

with a Beautiful Service

you will be very happy

@Timmy2021 

Like @Anonymous mentioned just set up autopay and then you can just manually top up your account with your plan payment a day or two before renewal. You will still get the reward and the data bonus and autopay is just insurance in case you forget to pay. Pm is not pre-authorized to charge your card. They are only allowed to attempt one charge to your card for autopay that's it. Everything else you have to manually approve in your self serve....if for some reason the autopay charge fails you have to pay manually before 6am eastern on your renewal date or your service gets suspended til you pay and reactivate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 : Talk needs the 3G bands. Text and data can use either LTE or 3G. Public Mobile is Telus.

You should be able to do all the normal smartphone stuff with that phone. Browsing the internet and using some websites becomes an issue after the phone is no longer supported for security updates. iirc softech gave that to you up-thread or one of your earlier threads.

@Timmy2021 wrote:

prepay is ok for me, save me trouble of paying by phone every month.  How about performance issue, does PM's wireless signal is strong and without interruption? What can I do with my Samsung Galaxy A01 cell phone? Can I surge the internet? How secure is it in transmitting confidential data?

You familiar with a little company called Telus ? PM uses Telus infrastructure so it is perdy robust as you can imagine. If you're in the mountains of BC, there can be areas with spotty cell service.

Timmy2021

prepay is ok for me, save me trouble of paying by phone every month.  How about performance issue, does PM's wireless signal is strong and without interruption? What can I do with my Samsung Galaxy A01 cell phone? Can I surge the internet? How secure is it in transmitting confidential data?

@Timmy2021 wrote:

What is offered with the $25 plan? Unlimited call, data and texting?  then why the 500 MB bonus is offered?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/25for500MB-3Gspeed

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Timmy2021 wrote:

What is offered with the $25 plan? Unlimited call, data and texting?  then why the 500 MB bonus is offered?

@Timmy2021 

for $25
500 MB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB
with AutoPay
Unlimited
Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging,

update @Timmy2021    Unlimited: incoming call and outgoing call include plan

Need Help? Let's chat.