cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the 240 GB Bonus Data and the $15 Plan

funpig1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello

First of all, I want to say that I am not happy that the legacy rewards program is ending.

PM has given me 240GB of points reward bonus data which is wasting away.  It has been 54 days and I have not been able to use any of it.  I still have 6 GB of of non-expiring holiday/promo add-ons data which I accumulated years ago.

I am switching to the $15 plan so I can use some of the 240 GB of bonus data.

Can any body tell me if the expiring 240 GB data is used first before the non-expiring holiday/promo data? 

I want to preserve my non-expiring 6 GB data for the future!

Thank you

EDIT and Update:  FYI, I made the switch from $29 to $15 plan.  I ended up losing the 240 GB bonus data a few days later.  Currently, I am waiting to hear from CS_Agent to see if they can help to return some or all of that bonus data. Also, I have asked for assistance to switch from the $15 plan to the $21 4G 3GB plan.

28 REPLIES 28

funpig1

Many other subscribers are not happy with PM. PM gave a loyalty bonus which most subscribers could not realistically use. And when subscribers, like me, downgraded to the $15 plan in order to use some of this bonus data, PM took away the bonus data without a clear and obvious notice. Under the new points reward system, you would have to subscribe to PM for 240 years to earn enough points to buy back the 240 GB that had been cancelled by PM. If I can find a way to get some of the bonus data back for myself, I would share it with other members in the community.

on2wheels
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Why would you ask to return the 240gb data? Why not just leave it alone?

funpig1

On May 16, PM switched me from legacy rewards to points reward. And I did not get the 5 points for the switch, yet. Maybe in few days. Plus, still no response to my messages.

funpig1

@on2wheels 

I sent a private message last week and I have a ticket number for my request to return some or all of the 240GB bonus data. I also added an additional message to my ticket string to request assistance to switch from the $15 plan to the $21 plan. So far, after almost a week, there has been no response from any CS_agent to my messages.

I assume my requests are low priority. Meanwhile, I am using the cheap $15 plan and the 6 GB of holiday bonus data which I had accumulated over the years.

Interestingly, my legacy rewards are still in my account; I have not yet been transitioned to the points rewards. It still shows that I will get $12 in rewards on my next June 8th renewal. However, I keep expecting that to change.

on2wheels

What's the status of your account now? @funpig1 

Chiranjiv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You have freedom to move no puns intended

Chiranjiv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Added data will disappear once the plan is changed to anything below 25 dollars. It will not be added. Data inclusion is one time deal and you forfeit that by downgrading. Nobody will give you new contract based on old contract that is not valid anymore. You can't have it both ways.

funpig1

It is all about perspective and persistence.

A few private messages and some waiting for a customer service response is not that difficult. Reading and posting in the PM community which I do not do that often can actually take up a lot more time. I prefer to save actual dollars rather than earn bravos.

When I got my first cell phone 28 years ago, I think I paid $75 a month for 100 minutes and $0.50 per minute after that. Whenever I got the chance, I tried to lower my costs for cellular (and home internet, telephone, television, etc.) by dealing with the loyalty/ retentions department. 

PM has made it much easier to reduce costs with their various rewards program. With my current plan and my referral points, I effectively pay $9 per month for unlimited Canada-wide calling and texting. I average less than 1 GB of mobile data usage per month. My 6 GB of holiday data could sustain my mobile data needs for over 6 months. I would save about $75 during that time. If I can get back some of the loyalty bonus data I could extend my free data usage by another 100 days.

hi @allochris3 

actually not too bad for my experience.  2 to 4 hours and 3 or 4 messages exchanges and you get 50GB more... but only for 150 days 🙂  I would say why not

allochris3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sure...but how much time will be "wasted" trying to initiate a "talk" with PM? Customer service is .... non-existent with this provider...  

HI @allochris3 

if you like, you can still ask for some bonus data back, not as much as 240GB, but around 50GB for the $25 plan, I think

allochris3

confirm with above. We downgraded our plan from $40 to $25 effective May 3 to use up the 250gb offer. Then guess what, the 250gb is now gone too! Is there any remaining reason to stay with PM when all those years of loyalty program is no longer a thing anymore? A pissed off customer.

funpig1

Update:  Bad news.  PM took away my 240GB loyalty bonus this morning. At least I got to use up 0.32 GB of that "bonus" before they took it away. LOL. My old holiday bonus 6GB data is still available.

I have submitted a ticket and private message to customer service agent asking to see if they can return some or all of the bonus data to me. 

It seems unfair and punitive for PM to take away all of the bonus supposedly earned for years of past loyalty.

At the very least, PM should return some bonus data based on the new downgraded plan. I recall reading somewhere that customers with up to $15 plans got 5 GB, up to $25 plans got 30 GB and over $25 got the 240 GB.  Something is better than nothing and probably more than I could use in the remaining 100 days. I will report back if I can get any of the bonus data.

@HanhVu please let us know if you were able to negotiate any compensation or return of your bonus data. Thank you.

My end game is to use the $15 plan as a rebooted stepping stone to eventually "upgrade" to a "new activation only" $21 plan or future "Black Friday" or "Boxing Day" plan.

Interestingly, I received my legacy rewards on my May 8th renewal and my account shows that I am still supposedly accruing legacy rewards for the future June 8 renewal. We will see what happens with that.

On the other hand, my Dad's $13 plan was already switched from legacy rewards to points rewards on May 7. His renewal date was scheduled for May 14.

HanhVu

I am with public mobile for 4-5 years already. The only reason I stay with Public Mobile is the loyaty program. Now, there is no reason. My daughter is using freedom mobile, I pay about 100-120$ for her for a year with 40BG. What is the reason to stay with public mobile now when I have to pay 28$ a month with 4GB slow data.

By the way, until now I haven't received any message about the compensation of 240GB  

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I hope you'll get some sleep between now and then 🤭

funpig1

Report:  I woke up this morning and checked my PM account. 

1. The 240 GB bonus data is still there and is still being used.

2. My Rewards still states the I will get my legacy cash discount on June 7. 

3.  I looked through my text messages and there was a PM text dated April 15th which says that I will be moved to the points rewards in "no sooner than 30 days from the date of this notice".  The earliest that I will be moved to points reward will be May 14. I am hoping that my legacy rewards will still be good until after the next June 7th. renewal. 

I will report back if I have any further news.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

A few customers have noticed the same thing, but in 1-2 days, the 240 GB data add on does disappear.  As per the terms and condition of the loyalty data add on.  

golfball

As far as I'm concerned this is expected behaviour. More than one individual has stated that the add-on initially remained on their account after downgrading but was gone by the end of the next day. Please keep us updated.

on2wheels

I would be surprised to see they let you keep this data, customer satisfaction does not seem high on the priority list at PM right now.  For example they are still restricting what plans existing customers can switch to even after the bombshell announcement about loyalty rewards.

Freedom mobile is looking better and better.

funpig1

Too excited to sleep yet.  Took some screenshots for proof.

PS.  I am only sharing my personal experience.  If it all back fires on me in the next few days, I will report back. Fingers crossed.

1000004715.png

1000004714.png

1000004716.png

@funpig1 wrote:

On my May 8 renewal date, I switched from the $29 4G 30GB plan to the $15 4G plan.

Good News #1:   I still have my 240 GB Bonus Data!

This should not have happened.  Unfotunately, it would be irresponsible for me to suggest to other members that plans can be downgraded while maintining the add-on.   To be clear:  The policy at Public Mobile when it comes to this remains forfeiture of the add-on in this type of situation.  Good luck all the same.

golfball

It may take a day for the bonus data to be removed from your account after renewing on a cheaper plan.

@funpig1  Wow that’s is good news , your lucky and thanks for sharing 

funpig1

Good News!

On my May 8 renewal date, I switched from the $29 4G 30GB plan to the $15 4G plan.

Good News #1:   I still have my 240 GB Bonus Data!

Good News #2:   I used some mobile data by running a speed test and I am happy to report that the 240 GB data is being used first.  My 6 GB of rollover gift data is still unused!

Good News #3:  I went to My Rewards page and I am still earning legacy rewards (for now) for my next renewal cycle scheduled for June 8!

Maybe PM is listening to customer complaints and have changed their policy regarding the 240 GB bonus data.

I am going to bed now.  I will check my PM account again tomorrow to see if there are any changes and will report back. Fingers crossed. Good night.

@funpig1 wrote:

Does anybody know if the switch from $29 to $15 plan will affect my older 6 GB of Holiday/Bonus add-on data which is non-expiring?

Changing plans will have no effect on those data add-ons.

funpig1

Oh crap!  I did not know that.  Oh well, there was no way to use the 240GB before it expired.  It was really a false gift if you cannot use it.  

Does anybody know if the switch from $29 to $15 plan will affect my older 6 GB of Holiday/Bonus add-on data which is non-expiring?

@funpig1 wrote:

First of all, I want to say that I am not happy that the legacy rewards program is ending.

PM has given me 240GB of points reward bonus data which is wasting away.  It has been 54 days and I have not been able to use any of it.  I still have 6 GB of of non-expiring holiday/promo add-ons data which I accumulated years ago.

I am switching to the $15 plan so I can use some of the 240 GB of bonus data.

Can any body tell me if the expiring 240 GB data is used first before the non-expiring holiday/promo data? 

I want to preserve my non-expiring 6 GB data for the future!

Switching to a $15 plan will cause loss of the 240GB add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.