cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No changes for 3G plans but more options added for 4G, AGAIN!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

Hey all, I was responding to another thread about current plan offers and decided to check self serve before posting in case the plan I was going to recommend had been removed and notice PM has added two more 4G plans and removed one.  Alas, nothing new for 3G...    Here's the latest line-up for 4G plans:

$35 - 3GB

$37 - 5GB

$40 - 15GB

$45 - 20GB

$50 - 23GB

$65 - 35GB

28 REPLIES 28

@computergeek541 wrote:

I think that the 3G plans have harmed Public Mobile's reputation for several years. Customers continue to think that Public Mobile is stuck on an old network type with only very slow speeds available. I'd like to see all 3G plans disappear or for them to be all changed to 4G speed. 

@computergeek541   

this won't happen unless Chatr and Lucky all give up 3G speed plans  😞

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

$25/2GB on 4G would be perfect! Drop the current $25/1GB 3G plan to $20 and try to slowly get rid of 3G plans? I think I am asking too much 😆

I think that the 3G plans have harmed Public Mobile's reputation for several years. Customers continue to think that Public Mobile is stuck on an old network type with only very slow speeds available. I'd like to see all 3G plans disappear or for them to be all changed to 4G speed. 

Agreed, costs next to nothing to achieve too. Will most likely happen sooner or later

I don't get these low data bucket 3G plans. Couple gigs of data at higher speeds won't cause that much more congestion on our infastructure, which is all telecoms seem to really care about. Meanwhile I'm getting 5G $65 100GB + plans advertised to me through EPP. Makes no sense 

They like to tease. 3G speeds are a thing for absolutely no reason, not even cost saving 

@NDesai wrote:

$25/2GB on 4G would be perfect! Drop the current $25/1GB 3G plan to $20 and try to slowly get rid of 3G plans? I think I am asking too much 😆

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Hi @dust2dust 

I know you caught that after you posted the link. The CRTC requirement is for the tier 1 peoviders to comply.  I guess CRTC is easier on Tier 2 and 3 because they know those low ends plans are "money lossing" plans. 

I also wonder the words used on the page, "expected", so, is that just good to have?? 🤔

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@umnikke8- I went looking at Telus. You gotta dig down some but they do offer the $100 annual plan as required. I didn't think to look until now. Why wouldn't they dump those kinds of plans down on their cheapo tier 3 outfits?

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dust2dust They didn't really even comply with the $15 requirement as the CRTC demanded they offer it under the big brands. And they aren't promoting or listing them on equal terms to their other plans.

I will never forget. Everyone talks about mountains of data. I. Don't. Care. Basic phone, basic service. The CRTC mandates an $8 average minimum cell service. No one complies with it. They all comply with the postpaid $15 requirement (even for prepaid). Not good enough. Especially when it comes to prepaid. They are all in violation.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

Adding - see below

Hi @dust2dust forget the $10.  It is 2023.. not 2003 🤣

hey @Handy1 no greedy.  Would be happy to see qGB for $15 and 2 for $25 LoL

@hTideGnow  I agree I think the $15 plan should get 3GB and the $25 plan come with 5GB 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

$10. 100 minutes total. 100 texts. No data. Nice, round, easy numbers. Sign me up.

hi @dabr 

a $5 from $ 40  to $45 give you 5 GB extra, but another $5 give you only 3Gb.  Then another $15 give you only 12Gb extra.

both $50 and $65 can both do better than that 

and wish they will do something with $15 and $25 plans

@BearFBI   Yeah, you'd think.  Hard to fathom except that they're really trying to entice customers with lots of data on the 4G offers.  I'm sure lots of customers have upgraded to these new offers but probably $40/15GB is the most popular one for those wanting extra data for a decent price.

BearFBI

@dabr i feel like they are in Koodo’s territory. The middle stuff 

PM’s always had stellar lower end plans, but they haven’t been touched in years. Surely they could bump the data up a gig or two on the $25 plan, or offer more on the $30. Data prices aren’t like 2016 anymore. 

@BearFBI    Yeah, you could be right and they certainly don't seem interested in offering anything new for the lower end, even if only for 3G speeds.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@smp99 wrote:

$37 plan?    When there is also plans for $35 and $40.

@smp99   Yep, makes no sense for the data allotment on the $35/37 plans now..

BearFBI

@dabr  possibly. 

however, $50+ plans still aren’t very competitive considering some deals people are able to get with the big guys. 

Seems like PM is focusing on the middle ground between low and high priced plans for value. 

smp99

$37 plan?    When there is also plans for $35 and $40.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  My thoughts exactly 

BearFBI

$50 23 is weird but hey, not bad plans. 

Glad we’ve got larger data buckets now. I myself have been burning through data and that 15GB plan is pretty sweet. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Handy1    Ahh...maybe these changes are a competitive response then? 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@dabr  I agree with you about the $50 for 23 GB I laughed because virgin just sent me a email for 25GB for $50 today … definitely would even look cleaner for it to be 25GB on PM and to make the 5GB for $35 

pmbc

@dabr wrote:

@pmbc   Well that's weird if you see something different from what I see in self serve.  I assume you've refreshed the page?

updated my post.  I was only looking from the public plans page.  Odd they show diff for account and to the public.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@pmbc   Well that's weird if you see something different from what I see in self serve.  I assume you've refreshed the page?

edit:  okay, yeah the official Plans page doesn't keep up with PM's self serve offers for a long time now.

@hTideGnow   Yes, seems like an odd amount of data.  Should have been 25GB IMO and the $35 and $37 plans makes no sense considering what can be had for $40+

pmbc

@dabr that's weird, I only see 2 4G plans and 3 3G plans.

4G

$35/3GB

$40/15GB

3G

$15/250MB

$25/1GB

$30/3GB

edit: duh, this is from the front page.  You prob see those in the account portal.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @dabr ,

so they added $50 and $65 plan?? $50 is 23 GB is odd 

Need Help? Let's chat.