cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined. And I want my money back.

LRod
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just joined late last night and I'm regretting my decision.

First it says to enter my IMEI # to see if I'm eSIM compatible. It says yes and I proceed with the payment process. Payment is taken but then this website tells me my phone is NOT eSIM compatible. I then contacted CS and I was told it was best to buy a physical SIM and I'd have the cost credited to my account.

Okay, so today I go and get a SIM card from a Telus store. I go into My Account but it's stuck on trying to activate my eSIM, which it obviously can't. There is no way to reset or bypass this on the PM website or app. So back to CS.

They manually activate my physical SIM, ported my number, and I was able to plug it into my phone. Great. But then I notice I'm on the 4G/LTE network. I paid for 5G so what gives? Back to CS.

CS wants to insist that it's most likely my phone and I should contact the manufacturer. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. I was with Rogers up until today and was on their 5G network getting 5G speeds until I ported over to PM. My phone is up-to-date and works flawlessly. There is no logical, technological, or even magical way my phone degraded somehow simply because I swapped my Rogers SIM card with the PM SIM card. 

So in less that 24 hours I went from being excited to join and save with PM, to being absolutely miserable because I wasted my Sunday on this. With no resolution because CS has gone silent on me.

I've been with all the Big 3 at some point in time. I've also been with Fido, Koodo, and Freedom. This is by far the worst experience I've ever had as a new customer with any other provider. I want my money back.

40 REPLIES 40

@LRod S21 Ultra will work on PM 5G network

Try Reset All Networks

And is 5G an option in the network mode?

Make sure you disable Power Save mode on the phone as well

@LRod , are you not seeing 5G as a preferred network type option on your phone. That's what I am up against.  I think there's enough blame to spread a little venom to Samsung.  

LRod

Thank you. I'll try your link. I've been going back and forth with these guys since this morning though.

LRod

So far my top speed was 56Mbps on speedtest.net, so ya, definitely not 5G. I'm not concerned about power consumption because my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G has great battery life, even after more than 2 years of heavy use. I usually have 70-80% battery life after a full day. Like I said in my initial post, my phone was on the Rogers 5G network until I ported to PM. Now I'm only on 4G/LTE. If you paid for something, you should get what you paid for.

@LRod 

what phone do you have?

you have the latest OS update?

is 5G a choice in the Network mode??

LRod

56Mbps is my fastest speed on speedtest.net so no, not 5G. It's not my location either because I'm in Mississauga ON with towers from Bell, Telus, and Rogers within 3 blocks from me. There's no large buildings or other potential obstructions that could cause signal interference. I could understand if I was in the middle of Algonquin Park, but I'm in the GTA. So now I have to port my number out again. This was such a waste of time.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LRod , if it's any consolation, 5G is a marketing schtick for plan speed cap and not indication of access to the 5G network.  All plans have possible access to the 5G network.  Even on the 4G network your should be able to reach the 5G speed cap.  With respect to 5G connectivity, this service has a whitelist for 5G and VoLTE access that I can only describe a restrictive.  Having a phone with compatible hardware and software is not enough.  I bought a S20 FE 5G from Public Mobile and I can't get access to the 5G network.  I am lost for words.  On the other hand, 5G connectivity is not mission critical to me.  I just accept the limitation.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LRod 

Remember, you can be on the LTE network and still getting the speed you can get on 5G network, 250Mbps. So, Eun a speed test and see how fast you are getting on 4G/LTE

Also, one advantage to use LTE vs 5G is the power consumption. It uses less power on 4G network

And what phone you have? some phone purposely choose to use 4G simply because of the power saving. This is a device settings issue and not PM issues

And try using your 5G phone in different areas Your phone could also choose to use 4G instead of 5G due to local network signal strength.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@LRod  Contact support and have them sim card swap the number for you . Then that new sim y will get the code to log into your account 

send a  private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @LRod 

Sadly because Public Mobile is pre paid, I really doubt they'll refund you. However, your phone IS eSIM compatible so I'm not sure why it didn't work. 

It might say LTE on your phone but do a speed test and if you're hitting over 200mbps, you're getting 5G. 

Need Help? Let's chat.