cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with number transfer (cityfone) number for porting team?

Cory82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just signed up with public (formerly cityfone). Initiated transfer earlier today. Received a text from public that there was an incorrect ESN/MEID provided. My number works on my new sim now despite that error, but oddly still works on my old cityfone one as well. After reading old post I'm now realizing I should've just provided my account number instead of an IMEI. 

I heard there was a phone number for the port/number transfer team? Can anyone provide this! I want to make sure it gets done properly. 

13 REPLIES 13

@HALIMACS 

LoL…I had to read it a few times. I agree that it depends on interpretation.

Cory82

I didn't think of this variable until you mentioned it. I used my wife's number to call me earlier and it worked, but she's on public mobile. I tried calling myself with a landline and it still goes to my old SIM card unfortunately. I've tried to get in touch with the porting team through the phone number, but I was on hold for an hour and gave up.

HI @Cory82 

make sure to try to find someone who is not currently with Telus/Koodo/PM and call you to test the incoming calls.  

If people from other provider can call you, it is almost certain that porting was completed already.  But to be sure, call Zoomer and confirm.

Hi @Cory82 

sound to me your number already ported into PM 

Cory82

That's the odd part I've tried both sims now

Public

Calls in:yes

Calls out:yes

Data:yes

Cityfone

Calls in: no

Calls out:yes

Data:yes

HI @Cory82  I think the IMEI option only works if you bought the phone from Zoomer.  But if you are BYOD, then usually IMEI won't work

So, you can receive calls without problem? can you receive calls from people that are not Telus?

HI @Cory82 @JW12 

if you are receiving incoming calls to your PM phone, you should be ok.   You can also put the Zoomer sim card back and test, you shouldn't be able to make or receive calls with the Zoomer sim

As noted by:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Porting-from-Zoomer-Cityfone-to-Public-Mo...

Zoomer does not send text message for porting.  But you can also call Zoomer at 1-888-281-2107 to confirm porting was completed

Cory82

I appreciate the IMEI tip. Now that I think about it, cityfone might have a blank IMEI for me in their system, I was never provided a phone through a plan of any sort. I've always bought/imported my own phone and brought them to my providers (BYOD).

Update:

The odd thing is my public mobile sim works fine. I can call out , receive calls and even use my data with no issues.  When I can the porting team number and I enter the phone number I want to bring over, it says there's no pending transfer for that number, so it seems complete, but my cityfone sim still functions at the moment, so I'm worried my cityfone won't get cancelled properly. 

JW12

Were you with Zoomer?

Both my wife and I went through this exact problem. We’ve been dealing with it for two days now and my wife’s just got ported and I’m currently waiting for mine to complete but I’m hopeful.

If you were, call Zoomer and get the IMEI they have on your account and use that number to provide to the port team. The IMEIs that zoomer had on both of our accounts did not match our current phones, they were the IMEIs for the phones they sent to us but longer had and didn’t use. 

@BKNS27 

I think all the OP meant was that they were with Cityfone before and they are now moving to public mobile.

Though I do understand how it was written could be interpreted differently.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Cory82 

I thought Cityfone is a Rogers network and not a Telus network.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Cory82  No worries I’ll send you the porting team number private message and just give them old providers account number and ignore the IMEI it’s not needed and they can re trigger the port request for you 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yup, I'll send it to you by private message. To get it click your envelope icon upper right or your avatar and go down to messages

Need Help? Let's chat.