cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know if Public Mobile disconnects calls after a certain number of rings?

yeej
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

First off, I'm not sure what happened to my Community Support account (mobileguy).  Can't seem to log in with that email anymore and PM doesn't seem to recognize that email either.  So I'm posting my first topic here with my main primary account.

So the issue I'm having right now is this.  I used to get my Mother's answering machine after the 3rd ring.  However, she recently changed it so that her answering machine now picks up after the 5th ring.  However, everytime I call her, after the 5th ring, the call gets disconnected.  I asked some friends and family members to try as well.  They were all able to get her answering machine after the 5th ring.

I have the Pixel 3a.  I couldn't find any setting on the phone that would be doing this.  The Android forums on Reddit were no help either.

So just wondering if this has anything to do with Public Mobile?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26

yeej

@hTideGnow , I believe someone posted something about the possibility that my calls were disconnecting because I was out of range or something like that.  Or that something was impeding the call range.  So that's when I went outside of my building and onto an open space and made the call and it worked.  And ever since, I am now able to make the call even on wifi and back in my house.

As for my mobileguy account, I don't think I ever contacted CS about that.  It seems like my info in tied to my yeej account now.

Thanks.

HI @yeej 

get you got a solution, but that just weird.  And how you came up with the idea to get outside of your wifi range?

honest, wifi has nothing to do with your voice calls, it just weird. LoL

and did you try to get back your old name mobileguy? did you submit ticket with CS agent and ask them to give you back?

yeej

@wcpsgrad , yes, the issue has been resolved for me.  What I did was I went outside of my wifi range, basically went to my car across the street.  Then connected to Public Mobile internet.  Then made a call to my mother and after the 6th ring, I got her answering machine and was able to leave her a message.

From that point on, I am able to do the same even when on wifi at home.  

So I don't know what happened.  It seemed like once I was able to get her answering machine the first time, I am now able to connect to her machine everytime as per how it was happening previously before this issue came up.

Good luck.  Let us know if this works for you as well.

wcpsgrad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Was there ever a resolution to this?  I have a galaxy A8 and have had the same problem for months. Incidentally also calling my mom 🙂  Would love to hear if anyone found a fix.  Thanks!

yeej

@JodyThornton , thanks for the feedback.  However, I am almost certain it has to do with my phone.  I tried the SIM card in another phone and no issue.  I tried calling 2 different numbers that don't pick up and both numbers disconnect after the 6th ring.  I even did a factory reset of my phone and still the same issue.  I am at a loss.  I'm also certain that it's been this way for a long time.  The only reason I found out about this issue is because my Mother changed her answering machine to pick up on the 6th ring.  Previously, her answering machine would pick up on the 3rd ring.

JodyThornton

I have the same issue (funnily enough, with my mother's number on a Bell landline in St Catharines), where it rings a number of times, but then hangs up.  It NEVER goes to voicemail.  It's JUST this number, and no others.

Now, I have six older iPhones.  I've tried my SIM in all of them.  The call fails the exact same way, so I doubt VERY much it's a problem with my iPhone, nor do I think your Android phone is at fault.  There is something that transpired over the last four weeks either on Public Mobile/Telus' network, or on my mom's phone.

She swears up and down that nothing changed.  If she picks up the phone while it's ringing, we can speak (akin to your situation).

yeej

@TrevorF1980 , thanks for the input.  I don't know if it's a feature or an issue right now.  I am going to wait on the Factory Reset option.  I asked a Google Support and Reddit forums for the Pixel 3a if anyone there would be able to run a quick test and see if this is across all Pixel 3a models or if this is just isolated to my phone.

TrevorF1980

Factory reset might work but it will also depend on the software version that added this feature. I don't know enough about pixel software (or any kind of software) to know whether it's a feature that is changeable. If you haven't already, you might want to try googling the feature to see what you learn. 

@yeej   Factory reset will wipe the phone and you need to re-setup everything.  it helps if it is some hidden settings you enabled and can't find it back

But if you are going that way, backup your stuff first.  After reset, DO NOT restore your backup yet.  Try to make the calls first and see if it works before you restore your backup (just in case the backup has some old settings and restored back, bad)

chekc this to reset phone

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4596836?hl=en

yeej

@softech , my Pixel 3a no longer gets system updates.  Been like that for about a year now.  I am not sure what a Factory reset does.  I will look into it but it seems like a drastic measure.  Thanks.

@yeej   someone had issue about one ring and call dropped, ended up need to update the OS and fixed it

In your case, I honestly think reset the phone to factory default should fix it, but not sure if you are ready to do that yet.  

I will search around and see if I can find a better fix for you

yeej

@softech , it is a setting on my phone.  I just ran another test.  Called a shop that is closed today.  The call disconnected after the 5th ring.  But I need to find that setting on my phone to turn it off.  Can't find it though.  Will keep looking.

yeej

@TrevorF1980 , I am sure that this is the case.  I just ran a test.  I called my local barbershop who is closed today.  And I know that they don't have an answering service.  After the 5th ring, the call disconnected.

However, I can't find a setting on my phone to disable this.

@yeej try another active sim card and see if it behaves the same

if yes, a quick fix might be to wipe the phone and start all over again.  If you are going that way, do not restore an settings from cloud.  Test the calling first 

TrevorF1980

Is it possible this has to do with some of the smart services associated with Pixels? I don't currently use one, but I know that Google is constantly rolling out new automated services for the Pixel line. Any chance an auto hang up after a certain number of rings is one of them?

yeej

@softech , that is correct.  Other friends and family can reach her machine.  I can reach her machine on my Nexus 4.  But on my Pixel 3a, no can do.  Strange.

Sorry @yeej I misread

so, everyone cam call her and leave VM no problem and just not you on this phone?

yeej

@softech , the issue is with me calling my mother.  So this would be an outgoing call.  I am not sure what you mean by resetting my "forwarding" options to default.  I thought that was only for incoming calls?

yeej

@dabr , yes, I did try that.  After getting my mother's answering machine on the Nexus 4, I re-inserted the card back into my Pixel 3a.  Powered off and Powered back on the phone.  But no luck.  Phone call still gets disconnected after the 5th ring.

@yeejtry reset all forwarding to defsult, it will reset the forward back to  VM.  See if it works

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@yeej   Have you retried the SIM in your Pixel 3a after the test with the other device?  Sometimes removing and reinserting the SIM will fix some minor strange issues.

yeej

It is most likely an issue with my Pixel 3a.  I am not sure what changed in the past 2 weeks.  I swapped the SIM card over to my older Nexus4 and I got my mother's answering machine after the 5th ring.  On the Pixel 3a, after the ring, it sounds like the call picks up, but after a second of silence, the call disconnects.  Thanks everyone for you help.

yeej

@Handy1 , thanks for the update on the Community account.  Now I have to check if my rewards and bonuses are still there.  I am in the process of swapping my SIM to my older phone.  Will let everyone know if it works.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@yeej  Looks like your one of the ones to be affected by this thread 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Community-Account-Created-After-Eve...

bravo the post and support will work with you 

if you do t hear back with in a day let support know 

Message support directly

• while your already here and logged in the community

• you can send a private message   To CS_Agents by clicking >>>>>>>>here.

Now onto you phone . Can you try SIM card in another phone and see if services work .. also maybe try resetting the best work settings and see if that helps . If al else fails you have supports contact link 

yeej

@HAL she hasn't blocked me.  Her phone still rings as we tested this morning.  I asked her to pick up the phone before the 6th ring.  She picked up and we were able to have a conversation.  However, I asked her not to pick up the next time.  She heard the phone ring and heard her voice message but I was not able to leave a message as the call was already disconnected on my end.  I will try another phone and see what happens.  Thanks.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

That is odd, @yeej 

So what happens when you put your PM SIM card in another device and try calling her?  Give it a shot to see what happens...

She hasn't 'blocked' you or something strange, has she???

Need Help? Let's chat.