cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Public Mobile verified"

Shubh2023
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I often see this message "Public Mobile Verified" when I get calls from any PM number. So, I was wondering why does it show up?
1 sub-question to it 
Why does some PM calls are HD+ and others are just HD calls? 

Thanks guys! 

17 REPLIES 17

Shubh2023

True though! I have seen HD+ in my Motorola, even in Samsung, Pixel as well. The call quality differs a lot, as per my experience! HD+ does give you a diff when calling someone on the same network

@Shubh2023 

for HD+ , found it online:

Whether or not it shows "HD+" is unimportant. Sometimes, Pixel devices will show "HD". I think Samsung and LG are the only companies to differentiate between AMR-WB (HD Voice) and EVS (HD Voice+).

Shubh2023

Oh that's interesting! Wasn't aware. Is it because both of them are in PM network? 

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @Shubh2023 it is the difference with the codec they used when it is in VoLTE.  what phone you have?? Samsung or Google??

HD calling does not require VoLTE.  Despite incorrect infromation that sometimes gets quoted from internet search results, HD calling is possilble (and is available) on the HSPA network at Public Mobile.

Shubh2023

I have a Motorola. I have noticed this in one of my friend's cellphone too (he has Google) & mine as well, so, when we call each other, its HD+
It happens even with PM on Samsung, I get HD+ calls
But anyone else, as far as I have seen, I get HD calls with other devices, if they have PM

hi @Shubh2023 it is the difference with the codec they used when it is in VoLTE.  what phone you have?? Samsung or Google??

Shubh2023

Any ideas, why there is a diff in between HD & HD+ calling in PM? With some people, I get HD calling (PM/other brands) but with some, I get HD+ calling (PM only) and I love it (super smooth calling)

Shubh2023

I feel that too, yeah! Its might not be safe, people might do spoof calls & its not unrealsitic, considering how many spam calls we get everyday lol 

Shubh2023

Maybe it is something inside the Telus Family and even calls within the fam is quite good. I have most issues talking to Rogers customers, then, Bell ones. 
I have been using PM since Sept 2023 & I have no regrets, leaving Fido to come to PM. 

Shubh2023

Oh. Interesting facts. Thanks! 
I was not sure about this terminologies before, but, now I do! 
Will keep doing my due diligence too!

Shubh2023

I feel you. Thanks for sharing your inputs! 

Whenever its spam calls, I dont even get it. I just get a ring on my fitness band but, it doesn't show up in my phone, it automatically gets disconnected & marked as 'spam'. 
I found this quite interesting! 

all it means is that the number is verified to be a number from Public Mobile, itis not telling you if it is safe or not 

Shubh2023

I have a Motorola device & when I get a call from any PM number, it shows up as verified! Maybe you are right & Google dialer (in-built one) has this thing to show when its spam or when its legit! 

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Shubh2023 - It seems like there is a call verification, looks as if it is only to TELUS family (Whenever I call or Someone calls with Public Mobile, Koodo, or TELUS it all appears with a check mark with "This call was verified by your carrier"

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Shubh2023, I'm wondering if this is only on Android phones as I have an iPhone and have not seen this before. I did an online search and found this bit of info:

Caller Verified enhancement (STIR/SHAKEN)

• New FCC standards of STIR (Secure Telephony Identity Revisited) and SHAKEN (Secure Handling of Asserted information using toKENs) have been adapted to help fight scam callers industry-wide.

• Caller Verified Enhancement, is a new technology aimed at reducing spoofed calls to customers.

• Spoofed calls occur when a scammer temporarily hijacks a number to match the area code and prefix of the person's phone number being targeted. Current protection apps only block known scam numbers, not spoofed calls.

• Calls marked as verified have an on-screen display when a call has been verified. Non-verified calls or calls from customers of other mobile carriers continue to come in as not verified.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@Shubh2023  great question!!

I also have another phone not PM and I have been getting that also for about 6 months now with a check mark in green saying verified.  I have been wondering what it means.

I tried to study when it would say verified or not.

Non of these verified callers are PM customers.

Sometimes they are verified,  sometimes they are not showing as verified. 

Some of these verified callers are in my contact list and some are not.

According to Google a 'verified call let's you know when a call you're receiving is actually from the number that appears on callers I'd, and not a spoofed call'. 

If that's the case, I wonder why all my contacts are not showing as verified? Everyone who calls me such as school, dr, etc ? They are legit numbers. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Shubh2023 

is that a "verfiied" number by your dialer? like Samsung and Google both have some 3rd party to check the number

But it does not really means it is a "safe" number.  All it means is that it is a number from an actual phone, not a make up spoof calls.  It does not really check if the caller is safe or not, ie, it can still be from marketing places or other "unsafe" sources

Need Help? Let's chat.