cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTEST CLOSED: Help us redesign our boards for a chance to win!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community, 

As we mentioned at the end of 2019, one of Public Mobile’s focuses for 2020 is to improve our systems and portals to give you, our customers, a better experience. This includes everything from our back-end systems, to our self-serve portals, to the Community. As we look to make improvements to the Community, I want to make sure we leave no stone unturned and make every part of the Community experience great. 

That being said, one area we’d love your help with is the Community boards. The boards we have now (including Announcements, Getting Started, and The Lounge) help us organize the Community, but as the Community grows, we want to make sure they reflect the content that our members want to see. So, let us know what you think the boards in the Community should be and you’ll be entered to win one of three $50 Amazon e-gift cards. 

Comment below what boards you think we should have by Monday March 23 2020 at 12:00PM ET to be entered. Get as creative as you’d like! Want a board dedicated to money saving and deals? Tell us! Think we should have fewer? Let us know! We will take these submissions into consideration as we work towards improving the Community experience for everyone, and three winners will be randomly selected to receive a $50 Amazon e-gift card. 

Please note that all winners will be contacted via private messenger within a few days of the contest closing. 

-The Public Mobile Community Team

CONTEST RULES

Spoiler

Redesign Our Boards Contest
CONTEST RULES

1.       HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY 
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share, in the Public Mobile Community post, how they would redesign the list of forum boards in the Community. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant. 

If your entry contains a person, other than the entrant, by entering the contest, you state that you have obtained consent from everyone in the photo. If your photo contains a minor (under the age of 18) parental or legal guardian consent is required.

Contest runs from March 16 to March 23, 2020 at 12:00pm ET. 

An Entry will be considered void and removed from the Community post if it contains subject matter that, in the opinion of the contest administrators, may violate community standards or is otherwise of questionable taste.

To be eligible, an entrant must be an existing Public Mobile customer and entry must be received on or before end of contest closing date and time. Entrants must be a Canadian resident who are 13 years of age or older and must be a member of the Public Mobile online Community. Contest not open to employees of TELUS Corporation, its affiliated companies or subsidiaries, its sales agents, its advertising and promotional agencies, and members with whom they are domiciled.  By accepting these Contest Rules, entrants agree that any and all liability related to this contest by TELUS is limited to the value of the Prize(s) as defined hereinafter.

1. 2. THE PRIZE
    There will be three (3) prizes awarded.  Each winner will receive the following prize: 

One (1) Amazon e-gift card valued at $50 

Prize(s) must be accepted as awarded and with no substitutions, is/are not transferable unless set out in the Contest Rules and cannot be exchanged with Public Mobile for cash. Public Mobile reserves the right to substitute the Prize with a Prize of equivalent value if such prize becomes unavailable for any reason.  The chances of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received.

1. 3. THE DRAW
    A random draw for all Prizes will take place at the Public Mobile office located at 25 York Street, Toronto, Ontario on or about March 23 at approx.12:00PM ET by a TELUS representative. Selected entrants will be notified on the Public Mobile Community. If the selected entrant cannot be reached within two (2) business days, or if the selected entrant does not meet any of the contest requirements, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
    In order to win, the selected entrant must correctly answer unaided a mathematical skill-testing question and will be required to sign a standard release form.  If the selected entrant is under the age of majority in his/her province of residence, his/her parent or legal guardian must read and accept these Contest Rules.  Failure to answer the skill-testing question correctly, comply with the Contest Rules or sign and return the release form within two (2) days of receipt will result in disqualification and another entry will be selected until the Prize is awarded. Prize will be delivered to a Canadian address of the winner’s choice within (7) business days after prize has been awarded. 

2. 4. PRIVACY
    By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph, voice and/or image for publicity purposes in all media used by Public Mobile, without payment or compensation.  Entrants agree to TELUS’ use of the entrants’ personal information that may include contacting you regarding limited time offers, promotional offers and/or surveys. Full details are as described in Public Mobiles’ privacy policy located at publicmobile.ca/termsofservice.

1. QUEBEC RESIDENTS

Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a Prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement. 

6. OTHER
All entries become the property of Public Mobile. Public Mobile assumes no responsibility for lost, damaged or misdirected entries during the contest period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software and failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Public Mobile on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or failure of handset or mobile web browser. Public Mobile reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, cancel or suspend this contest without prior notice. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are mechanically reproduced, forged, falsified, altered, tampered with, not in accordance with Community standards or unlawful in any way. Entries submitted by unauthorized means will be disqualified. In the event that it has been determined that an entry has been made in an manner not sanctioned by these rules and/or an entrant has submitted more than the number of entries permitted by these rules, the entrant and all of his/her entries will be disqualified.  Entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and the decisions of the contest judges, which are final. This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations.
123 REPLIES 123

Congratulations to all the winners!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Congrats to the winners of this contest.

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Thank you to everyone who entered for your great suggestions! We'll be taking them all into consideration as we continue to assess how we can improve the Community for you. I'm happy to announce the winners of this contest are @RobertQc@CannonFodder, and @justicebeans ! Congrats on winning and thank you again to everyone who entered. 

Stay safe & healthy!

Tiana

kennycrowshaw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

"Tip and Tricks for the Frugal Phone User" - a place to post on how to save date ie sending pictures via text without data, reporting free wifi areas, basically any ideas to save data

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

There was also something to

When it comes to PM Clients requiring help and all that

When an answer has been offered and is solution, The Topic is then automatically locked, and IF a topic is still open, perhaps a time limit and after, locked automatically

dnadolny
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Here's what I'd love to see for the boards:

Design

I'm a fan of reddit-style boards, where comments are nested, and can be sorted by something like the number of "Bravos", as well as date. This would make it easier to find the most helpful advice, and to follow chains of conversations! I don't know how hard this would be to do, but giving people the option to stick with the old style for those who like it, or try out the reddit-style would make sure people could still use the boards easily.

Specific Board Suggestions

Getting Started - Keep!

When I first joined (not that long ago), having a "Getting started" board was really helpful, I hope that that sticks around!

Money Saving Board - Add!

I really like the idea of having a "money saving board", given the current economic turmoil in the world, and that people using Public Mobile are probably quite interested in saving money and finding good deals.

Travelers - Add! 

I think it might be helpful to have a "Travelers" board for people going to other countries (probably won't be useful for a while given shutting borders). A lot of questions seem to be about problems with travel to the US, and getting recommendations about what to do when visiting other countries may be pretty useful. This board would be about phone options when traveling, and other general travel tips/info.

Mikeyd1

I have no issues with your website, links and etc., but I miss the old logo/color pattern that you previously had on your website.

Keep up the good work

@darlicious wrote:

@SD08  I whole heartily disagree with only the "help board" counting towards community rewards.......

@mimmo  wrote:

Trim the boards down

1.  Announcements and contests
  2. FAQ /common problems/solutions (locked board)
    • sticky direct link to ticket mods 
    • sticky list of "great posts" ie guides
  3.  Get Help (only people asking questions)
    • sticky how to ask a question ie what to include what not to include
  4. lounge 2.0 (everything else except people asking for help including guides )
    • great posts from here could moved to other boards

only get help board counts towards rewards

As for my feedback, I agree with the forum organization proposed by @mimmo.  This is a help forum, so it should be help activity that counts for rewards.

@Alan_K  I believe to constantly encourage new members, new blood and new helpers you have to give a range of public mobile related topics that every community member feels they can participate in whether they are old or young, tech-savvy or technologically -challenged (as I was and still am in many ways) thrifty or spend happy, with the latest premium smartphone or almost obsolete phone or the flip phone diehards, app lovers, desktop dinosaurs, iPhone or Android or blackberry users, new to the online world or first began on 56kb dial up, rode the information superhighway with Al Gore or wondering whatsapp with Jan Koum. Everyone should feel they can participate and offer something to the community. As they learn more, they can help more and become top contributors as the old guard winds down the future oracles hone their skills.

Limiting community rewards to one help board will only flood that board with well intentioned but often misinformed, repetitive, best guesses, just plain wrong answers or advice that does a disservice to the community's very effective help model. Inclusion of every community members level makes the help model stronger and allows everyone to learn, teach, help and feel appreciated and rewarded for their participation......just not in the lounge

This is what we have happening now.  This is a  customer service board/community that is what it was created for.  Why should PM financially reward people for participating in something that does not relate to or assist people with the Public Mobile Service.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Eliza5
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello Everyone,

I was just looking at the Leader boards:

Being creative is great, but don't get carried away.  The boards should remain organized and consistent.

I like the different sections the keepers should be:

• Getting Started
  • Rewards
  • Announcements
  • The Lounge 

I just think they should be condensed and put at the top as it they were difficult to locate.  I like the font and colors as they match Public Mobiles design.

If the font and colors are changed they should remain neutral but not boring. Blue tones are nice. 

Keep the Sections to a maximum of 5-10. 

You may want to add a section called Reward Winners which outlines the monthly winners for each reward and how they were achieved. 

There seem to be thousands of messages in each section.  Perhaps one of the moderators could look at the messages and see if they could be organized in a different manner (put into different folders within the section), and duplicate posts deleted.  

This might take some time I wouldn't mind helping out.

One last thought, it would be nice if you added a games section that were fun and tested memory and knowledge.  Like a memory card game or daily questions if someone was short on time.  Perhaps we could even get rewards for it as well.  

Eliza5

@SD08  I whole heartily disagree with only the "help board" counting towards community rewards.......

@mimmo  wrote:

Trim the boards down

As for my feedback, I agree with the forum organization proposed by @mimmo.  This is a help forum, so it should be help activity that counts for rewards.

@Alan_K  I believe to constantly encourage new members, new blood and new helpers you have to give a range of public mobile related topics that every community member feels they can participate in whether they are old or young, tech-savvy or technologically -challenged (as I was and still am in many ways) thrifty or spend happy, with the latest premium smartphone or almost obsolete phone or the flip phone diehards, app lovers, desktop dinosaurs, iPhone or Android or blackberry users, new to the online world or first began on 56kb dial up, rode the information superhighway with Al Gore or wondering whatsapp with Jan Koum. Everyone should feel they can participate and offer something to the community. As they learn more, they can help more and become top contributors as the old guard winds down the future oracles hone their skills.

Limiting community rewards to one help board will only flood that board with well intentioned but often misinformed, repetitive, best guesses, just plain wrong answers or advice that does a disservice to the community's very effective help model. Inclusion of every community members level makes the help model stronger and allows everyone to learn, teach, help and feel appreciated and rewarded for their participation......just not in the lounge

SD08

@Helmanfrow wrote:

Please make all password fields paste-able!

ChangePassword132046.jpg

@Helmanfrow  

The password change snapshot you posted is from the PM self-serve account. For this redesign topic, PM is asking for input for the Community, not for the self-serve accounts, which are separate.

(I just tried the password change on my community account and it allows pasting in the third field.)

@mimmo  wrote:

Trim the boards down

Helmanfrow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Please make all password fields paste-able!

Annotation 2020-03-22 132046.jpg

popping

@Helmanfrow wrote:

As I posted in a different thread, Private Messages must have a threaded view in addition to (or instead of) SENT and INBOX views. I would imagine that anyone who's had to bounce back and forth between SENT and INBOX simply to keep track of a conversation will agree with this.

Thanks.

Agree. 

What I have been doing is to have a text file to store the correspondence in a sequence.  I cut and paste the content to my reply.  Fortunately, most of my problem was fixed in couple of replies.

Helmanfrow

As I posted in a different thread, Private Messages must have a threaded view in addition to (or instead of) SENT and INBOX views. I would imagine that anyone who's had to bounce back and forth between SENT and INBOX simply to keep track of a conversation will agree with this.

Thanks.

LoveMyBolt

A real, not one of those so-called ones to just list some useless so-called questions that we have all seen...FAQ. Perhaps as voted on by the high achievers or Oracles here.

mimmo

If anyone is interested to see some of the possibilities with the community can find other khoros communities on this link.

https://community.khoros.com/t5/Atlas-Insights-Blog/Lithys-2017-Submission-Index/ba-p/303737?_ga=2.2...

justicebeans
I would like to see a board dedicated to creativity of the community members. It could include photography, artwork, recipes, creative writing, apps, ideas, ad campaigns, contest ideas, poetry, new slogans, logo designs.....anything the community wants to share from their imaginations.

grumpyneighbour

Make it simple for us old timers to use.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

I would like more cat friendly pages and maybe a paw print bravo button.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Thanks hairbag1 my roommate gave me the basics or I would be completely lost.

carlaspapa

Thanks I've been a customer for awhile but my roommate keeps trying to make me learn more so I got a little bored today so I thought I would check it out more than just enter the contests.

@carlaspapa wrote:

It would be nice for us computer dummies to have how to guide on how to use the community so it was easy to figure out. You know...public mobile community for dummies. How to post, bravo, quote....where ever that went to?

Good suggestions

To post a question; go to the main Community Forum page and scroll downwards (Getting Started, Paying for Service...etc) until you see a heading that generally sounds like your concern. Click it to get into that section and Ask a Question to start your post. When your satisfied with your question click the Post button.

Keep reading and asking questions.

@carlaspapa...looks like you know how to Bravo already...thanks !!

carlaspapa

It would be nice for us computer dummies to have how to guide on how to use the community so it was easy to figure out. You know...public mobile community for dummies. How to post, bravo, quote....where ever that went to?

@jmqm wrote:

An option to receive notifications on new posts. Also - always sorted by date posted of the thread, not comments.

That option is already available once you subscribe to a thread. As to receiving a notification about every single new post or thread? Trust me what I say that I don't believe that you would want that.

jmqm

An option to receive notifications on new posts. Also - always sorted by date posted of the thread, not comments.

AdamLove

THE NEW PUBLIC MOBILE IS HERE

Overall color scheme should have a cartoon look and more specialized and content should be better quality.... 

For the most part content should have better descriptions.....

Quality is company life....

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

A section for FAQ's, network issues, and promos.   Also a tutorial section on how to purchase add-ons, porting, and plan changes.

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I’d like to see a chatroom on the board as well that community members can use and maybe the moderators can jump in when they’re free, to answer a few questions and chill with others.

Maybe it’ll speed up community based help since it’ll be all live.

TheGx

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@TheGx wrote:

I suggest not limiting loyalty rewards at all for example by excluding loyalty consideration/points for those participating in the lounge, I think all of our activity on this forum should be considered towards loyalty - this will encourage people to spend more time on this forum which is the ultimate goal of any forum including Public to have people use the forum more and become involved more. Maybe more loyalty points or consideration should be given to posts that actually help people with their phone service, but giving nothing or no consideration at all for lounge participation or other kinds of involvement discourages people from participating in those areas and ultimately discourages people from spending time on this forum board.

@TheGx , why should Pm financially reward people for conversations in the Lounge for items that have nothing to do with helping their customers with the Public Mobile Service.  If people are only here for the rewards then they are here for the wrong reason.  It is to help people.  Ask the top earners how much time they put in and it will be a return of pennies on the hour.  They're here because they like to help.  So if Pm was to count posts and bravos in The Lounge for rewards how would that benefit them.  This is a customer service forum not a deals forum, or a social forum.  I can see having a social section but it should not be included in the calculation of rewards

Public should reward people for anything that Public is trying to encourage more of, so if Public wants more people to socialize on the Lounge board or on any other board or just for simply participating in any way on their forum - then Public must apply some consideration to encourage that even if the consideration is small compared to other forms of participation Public finds more valuable.

For example, the was Public calculates the consideration given is secret, but it's not a secret that Lounge participation is worth nothing - that causes people to ignore the Lounge and causes less involvement overall on this forum. But if that were to change from zero consideration to some consideration, people would participate knowing that when they help people on other boards they get more consideration than whatever consideration they get on the lounge. This way people would use all the boards instead of ignore the boards that Public ignores.

Since reward calculation is secret, giving consideration to all activity including the lounge won't cause more abuse because nobody knows how much consideration is actually given - Public already states that it's not a robotic calculation adding up the bravo totals or posts that determine the amount of rewards, so when abuse posters don't get rewards that will automatically discourage abuse over time.

TheGx

@computergeek541 wrote:

@TheGx wrote:

Maybe more loyalty points or consideration should be given to posts that actually help people with their phone service, but giving nothing or no consideration at all for lounge participation or other kinds of involvement discourages people from participating in those areas and ultimately discourages people from spending time on this forum board.

Lounge participation doesn't count for Community rewards because quite honestly, most of the stuff there doesn't help anyone with the Public Mobile service.  The Lounge provides a place discuss off-topic matters freely (within reason). Unfortunately, this message board has a large problem with post-count padding as there are some who aren't posting to help, but only to increase post count.  Someone shouldn't earn rewards/discounts off a cell phone plan for posting jokes-of-the-day, talking about last night's hockey game, or for simply posting messages such as "hi, how are you".

I agree that the most rewards/consideration should be given for actually helping others with posts, that being said given nothing is simply discouraging people from participating in those boards where absolutely no consideration is given. A simple "hi how are you?" a million times should not amount to the same amount as something more meaningful obviously, but some consideration should be given especially the actual formula Public uses to apply rewards is secret - it will be up to Public to give less consideration or give more consideration as deserved, but giving zero consideration should never be done because that just means ignoring those forms of consideration.  

Need Help? Let's chat.