cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

umidigi d3 max phone poor voice quality

BillSima1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi There,

I recently purchased a Umidigi D3 Max phone.  When I call people, I can hear them clearly but they cannot hear ME clearly.  I am told my voice sounds distorted or I am hard to hear as if the volume is turned down.  I am using the same SIM card that I was using in my old phone.  When I place the SIM card back in my old phone and make calls, people can hear me OK and I have no problems. 

Troubleshooting I have done on new phone:

1. checked to make sure I have the correct APN settings - they currently are as follows: Name: Public Mobile 2, APN: sq.mb.com, Proxy: not set, Port: not set, Username: not set, Password: not set, Server: not set, MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb, MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18, MMS port: 80, MCC: 302, MNC: 220, Authentication type: not set, APN type: default,mms,supl APN protocol: IPV4/IPv6, APN roaming protocol: IPv4, APN enable/disable: greyed out but set to "APN enabled", Bearer: Unspecified, MVNO type: None, MNVO value: greyed out but set to "not set"

2. rebooted new phone

3. tried different APN settings

4. tried a factory reset and re-entered APN settings

Do you know if any of the settings are incorrect? If so, please tell me which ones to change and what the settings should be.

If there are any other settings on the phone or possible hardware / software (disruptive apps for example) that I should check that may be causing the problem, please also let me know.

I have also considered that the new phone may just have some device fault with the hardware or software which may be to blame for poor voice quality from my end when I am talking to other people.

I thank you in advance tor any assistance that you may be able to provide!

Bill

9 REPLIES 9

BillSima1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the link.  I checked using both IEMI numbers on the phone and, apparently, the Umidigi G3 Max phone is NOT compatible with the Telus VoLTE network.  Oh well, I guess I will have to return it to Amazon!

real_will1a3m
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @real_will1a3m 

LoL

i thought you lost your old Community id like others  🙂

I have been through that gauntlet already.  

HI @real_will1a3m 

LoL

i thought you lost your old Community id like others  🙂

real_will1a3m

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @real_will1a3m 

is that Oracle @will13am   ??

Yes.  The new system requires one community account per online account.  What can I do but play along.  I do need to access all my online accounts from time to time.  At least I disclose who I am, unlike others.  

Hi @real_will1a3m 

is that Oracle @will13am   ??

real_will1a3m

@BillSima1 , use this link to check whether your phone is on the VoLTE whitelist.  Even if on the whitelist, it might not be.  Best way to check is actually making a call and seeing if network connection drops down to 3G or not.  

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @BillSima1 

you recently got it, so you have another phone before?

if you put the PM sim card back to the old phone, does voice work great?  if it is , it is a device problem

and also, try to put a different carrier sim into the new Umidigi and test, could be just a device problem

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BillSima1 

have a look at the Umidigi website for troubleshooting tips. Maybe there's a software update for your phone that would help. There's other Umi users here who might be able to shed light on your issue too.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BillSima1 

is that a umidigi d3 max or G3 Max?  I can't find much about D3

the APN won't affect your voice quality, it will only helps with data

I don't think your phone can be used on VoLTE, so, 3G is the network your phone uses for voice.  Usually it will switch over to 3G when you makes calls and will swtich back to LTE when calls are done

There is really not much you can do to improve the voice quality.  Only thing is can you confirm what 3G bands it has?  it needs to have 850 and 1900 for it to function well

Also, try to click Reset All networks and it might help

You mentioned about the volume issue, try using wired or bluetooth headset and see if any difference

Need Help? Let's chat.