cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Quality - Dropped phone call or poor voice

waterfulworld1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been having a lot of issues with Public Mobile for the past half of a year at least. It started with call quality. I would go to "outer space" when the person I am on call with can barely hear my inaudible voice that was very faint and electric and but I could still hear them but still with some electric effects. I thought it was due to my old cell phone. But I recently upgraded my phone and the operating system has been upgraded from Android 12 to 14. The quality got even worse. Calls are dropped every few minutes. And I would go to "outer space" a lot more frequent.

7 REPLIES 7

waterfulworld1

I have tried using 3G only and still had dropped calls. I guess I will wait a bit longer for a fix but this issue is getting more and more annoying especially when I need to call any customer support that has a long wait.

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@waterfulworld1 

I also wonder if something is interfering with your calls causing the loss of quality. Does this occur anywhere? Or just at home for example? If you use FaceTime or a voip like textnow are they clear audio calls? Have you tested another providers Sim card in your phone? What's their call quality like?

funpig1

@waterfulworld1 

PM's announcement admits that there is a problem with their network. Send a private message to PM requesting they fix this "known issue" ASAP and provide you with compensation. And if they refuse, you can file a complaint with the CCTS.  IMO, people should not pay full price if they do not receive full service. Good luck.

Heya@waterfulworld1 It seems there are well known issues with dropped calls lately, but poor audio quality I would start looking at your own phone's audio... It would be interesting to know if the issues persist if you use alternate audio devices, ie Bluetooth headset, wired headset, or speakerphone.

Also, you can use the test numbers listed at https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/ ie:
- Toronto +1 416 342 9562
- Victoria +1 250 412 5922

This service lets you initially record a message for playback, but after that you can choose an ongoing realtime echo test which will stay active as long as you like. This might be a good way to test alternate audio devices, alternate phones, different locations, and changing between 3G and LTE/VoLTE networks.

Another "fun" line to call for a quick 1-way audio test (receive only) is to "Rick Roll" yourself with the "Rick Astley Hotline" - it will go for about 5 minutes before ending the call: +1 (226) 336-1437

Whisk

I believe it is just a network issue unfortunately.

I have also been experiencing dropped calls for the past few months and assumed it was my old Android (I recently have dropped the phone quite a few times so was thinking it was the receiver). However I also upgraded phones and still have the same issue - although it has been happening less frequently the last month or so. 

RavingRaven

@waterfulworld1 

The dropped calls are definitely a Public Mobile issue. Call quality may or may not. Have you tried using 3G only for your calls? What type of phone is your new one?

Maybe @Nezgar can weigh in and suggest some testing you can do to determine the source of your call quality issues.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @waterfulworld1 

Public Mobile is aware there are issues and working on fixing it. It's been going on for a few months now and there is no ETA. Keep an eye on this link.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/NEW-Dropped-Calls/td-p/1216025

Need Help? Let's chat.