cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchscreen Flip Phone ? OR Dumbphone with Voice Texting & Whatsapp ???

JimgB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Trying to find any phones that fully work on Public Mobile from EITHER:

(1)  Touchscreen Flip Phone (with android other than Cat S22)

or

(2) Dumbphone (flip or even better, thinner Candybar style) WITH Voice Texting (to avoid keypad typing) & Whatsapp ........   whatsapp isn't crucial, but would be nice.

Basically, I want a smaller dumbphone where I don't need to use the T9 keypad typing.

My dream phone was the Qin F21 Pro but it doesn't have bands 2 or 4. And Nokia 6300 and 2780 seem to have dropped Whatsapp with the newer OS, and... it seems most Nokia also don't have bands 2 or 4

9 REPLIES 9

JimgB

I think I'd just be happy to find a PM working dumbphone (on the thinner "bar" shape) with Voice texting.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised then with the Cat !

JimgB

Many Nokia phones have Whatsapp and Facebook built in their "dumb phones".  Problem is two-fold...

(1) KaiOS upgraded to 3 and 3.1 which apparently ditched Whatsapp and Facebook.  So, you need to find old versions of Nokia 6300 (my big want), or 2720/2780 flips.

(2) Although Nokia, and North American, they don't seem to have bands 2 and 4, so, problematic working.....

That red flip I linked you to...  that too says Telus on it too even though it's a Chinese flip that has never been on a network. I think it's just the phone reading the primary network over PM. Not a big deal to me.

I ordered the Cat S22 cause I want to use TextNow in the US while I'm there. I'm not worried about it being thick. As long as it works, that's what's most important. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @JimgB any phone with Whatsapp or those app means it is not a dumb phone.  I think it is hard to find what you looking for 

JimgB

Thanks.

I have the Cat S22. It's a beautiful flip. Android works great. But it's reallllly thick, and although it says unlocked, it keeps giving Telus I think it was, messages although it seems to work.

Well @JimgB  I ordered these two phones in the last few weeks and both work very well with Public Mobile. Sadly though, they don't have Voice to Text.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08D71WXYN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CKT3S57M?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I did order the Cat S22 recently and waiting for it to arrive. Will be interesting to test it out. 

JimgB

Wow, PM doesnt even support a lot of "Senior" dumbphones?  That's really sad, and would explain why my mom keeps having dropped calls on here basic flip phone.

It shouldnt be this hard to get a basic "bar" dumbphone that has voice texting to avoid the keypad....

maurelle
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your main problem will be VoLTE capability / whitelisting.

The ZTE Cymbal 2 and the Sonim XP3 are sold by Telus, so there is a reasonable chance that they work with VoLTE here?

I have a friend who loves their Unihertz Jelly 2 and Jelly Star phones, but, while having all required bands and fully VoLTE capable, PM has banned VoLTE access on them.

Need Help? Let's chat.