cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

someone hacked my phone number

akavisinghe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

someone hacked my phone number and using for calls.

14 REPLIES 14

JL9
Mayor / Maire

They won't be able to hack your bank accounts - 2FA won't go to them just your phone. with that said as suggested if you want peace of mind you could change your number and just update your bank and other accounts if you'd like, but it could happen in the future again

Your number was spoofed. Actually it is a VOIP account for which they used your number for its' Caller ID. It is easy to do. They don't know diddly about you. They chose your number and will call others in your area to make it look like you are a local calling them. It will last for week and then they will move on and use another number. You don't need a new number or to advise any one. It you want to change your password on My Account do so....and also make up a name for who owns the account and make note of it. That will help prevent a SIM jack attempt. 

@akavisinghe wrote:

They used my phone number to scam people.I am scared someone hack my bank accounts

@akavisinghe   no need to worry.  If you asked the one who called you back, he/she likely have the same area code and the first 3 numbers of the 7 digits after the area code 

What Caller ID spoofing usually do is that the will try to use system to generate a phone number with the same area code and the same first 3 digit of the target person.   So, your number was used but the reality is that you were not the targeted person in this scam.  The one who received that calls was the target, not you.  They just "borrow: your number. 

And in this scam it has nothing to do with they really have any information of the targeted person or the from the owner of the "fake" number they generated, they simply want the targeted person to pickup the call.  Again, the scammers has no information about you at all. They just randomly picked numbers.  

I always say, Caller ID spoofing is just like letter mail.  People can send letter mail to anyone and then use someone else address as the return address.  There is no rule to stop people from using the returned address.   I can use the Prime Minister address as the return address or I can use my neighbor's  address and I hold no information about them at all. 

Here is more information about Caller ID spoofing from CRTC

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Not possible unless they have your SIM.

Other people might see 'your number' when spammers are calling them but it is just randomly generated number coincidentally looks like yours.

@akavisinghe wrote:

No I didn't.

Someone is using my phone number from another a phone. People are calling my number telling me I called them when instead someone else is calling for my number. I can't change my number because the number is connected to my bank accounts. They will hack my back accounts

Hi @akavisinghe   It's only Caller ID Spoofing, it is a very common technic used by scammer.  Most of them does not care to be YOU, they just want people to see a number that looks like a regular number and fool them to pick up the phone (as you know many people will simply ignore 1-800 number or number from overseas)

it's very easy to fake the number.  they just randomly generate the number by the computer.  

@akavisinghe   You can change your number upto 4 times per 30 days for free.  Log into your account, select Change Number on right hand side of page and select the area/city and choose from list of numbers available.  You can refresh this list by selecting another city and back to your first choice.

You'll also need to update all contacts/banks etc. who you've given your number to if you opt to change numbers.

akavisinghe

They used my phone number to scam people.I am scared someone hack my bank accounts

@akavisinghe   As suggested by @RossN your number is being spoofed and unfortunately, nothing can be done except to let those callers know your is being spoofed and it's not you calling them.  edit: eventually this will stop.

akavisinghe

I didn't change my password. They used my phone number to scam people.I am scared someone hack my bank accounts

akavisinghe

No I didn't.

Someone is using my phone number from another a phone. People are calling my number telling me I called them when instead someone else is calling for my number. I can't change my number because the number is connected to my bank accounts. They will hack my back accounts

akavisinghe

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@akavisinghe hello please explain what you mean by hacked your number is someone spoofing your number is your account secure 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@akavisinghe   Can you provide more details about this?  

If you're seeing a number in your usage details ending in 4001, then that's just PM's voicemail number where unanswered calls get forwarded to and nothing to worry about.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@akavisinghe hi have you checked your account did you change password? are people using your number to scam people?

Need Help? Let's chat.