cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

join in public mobile?

kateyyj
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

1 .having a family member thinking about getting a new phone number, really dont like this new point system,any other good deal?

2. i have two $15 now all paid zero which are nice. if I update one to $25, do I get to keep the old rewards system? or will be forced to use point reward?

if you look at phonebox or other provider, plus current point reward, PM is not that competitive, sadly.

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj 

Looks like you were lucky and pm threw in that bonus referral credit promo!! Now if you want to be a personal wi-fi hotspot the $55/20gb student plan is oodles of data with 8.25pts back!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj 

Of course rewards are preferable but the points program can be worked to be nearly as good they just are not passive rewards and favour the higher data plan users over lower data plan users like us but maybe you want to consider activating a "data account" if you think your data needs may be variable per month but predictable. Your relative can consider these same principles but on an ongoing basis.

To begin with this promotion is still accessible on the website so it is still active....

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/pd1-9671281201?cmp=SOC_Public-PM-PF-Conversion-Always-On-BH-2022-F...

The two major changes from rewards to points affect the following rewards :

1. $2 autopay are now "get back" points of 5% back in points. The break even point being the $40 plan=2pts (=$2). The current promotion of 3×points for 12 months means the point rewards on the $15 plan=2.25pts (=$2.25) or on the $40 plan=6pts (=$6). Significant points accumulation can be made during the first year of service.
  2. Loyalty rewards=$1 per month after the first year rising $1 per year thereafter to a maximum of $5 per month after the 5th year=$60/year. This is significant over that time period compared to anniversary points of 10pts per year immediately and the welcome bonus of 5pts. But in the short term anniversary points have a slight advantage but if used for a "data account" that may be suspended for periods of up to 90 days there are no delayed loyalty increases when suspended like the rewards program and anniversary points (and allegedly community and referral rewards)🤔 are still earned as well?) 
  3. Community and referral points are earned exactly as rewards are just in points instead of direct $$ off your plan amount each month. ( And when suspended?)

The biggest advantage of the points program is the discounted add on redemptions than can save 25% to 50% off the price of add ons. This gives you the opportunity to have a $15 plan with a 1gb data add on (10pts=$10 cost vs $15/1gb when purchased). $15plan+1gb add on redemption (10pts=$10)=$25 plan with 250mb of plan data and 1gb of roll over data. Unused data doesn't get wasted and will give you a build your own plan price of $17.50/500mb, $20/750mb, $22.50/1gb and $25/1.25gb. Minutes of course can be added at $5/500min ( Purchase don't redeem for this non discounted add on so you always maximize your points value with discounted add on redemptions.)

Start your data plan with the $35/3gb+2gb bonus plan data to earn those extra 3×points and  suspend if not needed. Don't downgrade to the $15 plan  until you know you don't need any extra data beyond 1gb per month because once downgraded ghat 2gb of bonus recurring plan data is lost forever.

Maybe if you are really lucky pm will throw in a bonus referral credit promotion that can double earn you a referral bonus credit of $25 or $30/($5×6months) ×2 accounts=$50/$60 in credits when you refer yourself and then you refer your relative from your new data account earning it a $10×6 months. You can set about referring from the new data account to get it closer to a $0 bill eventually.

You also get "more is merrier" holiday gifts on it too.....if pm continues this tradition. Yes there is some ifs and buts involved but since you seem already good at referrals you can get this account lowered in price quite quickly and more if you hang out in the community and contribute....$1 or $2 in rewards or points are pretty easy to earn in the commmunity rewards.

Lots to consider but make points work for you and they can be more lucrative than pc mobile's pc optimum points incentives. PC optimum points can be worked as well but pc mobile does not offer anything more than activation bonus points with their service. Too bad it's a missed marketing opportunity for them? I will link a couple of my other posts on this subject when I run into them.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

PM's new Point System™ is not as good as PM's old Rewards system, at least not in the long run.

But it's still a better deal than the nothing you get back from any other provider. You won't save many dollars like you could before, but saving some dollars is better than not saving some dollars.

Well said!!!

If company X is charging $15 even for service and PM $15-something, then moneywise I would choose PM as $15-(minus)something is better than even $15.

And I am asking those who are not happy with points and are always threatening to leave PM - what Other provider can offer same basic service for less money????

Korth
Mayor / Maire

PM's new Point System™ is not as good as PM's old Rewards system, at least not in the long run.

But it's still a better deal than the nothing you get back from any other provider. You won't save many dollars like you could before, but saving some dollars is better than not saving some dollars.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj 

update to $25, for next renewal date to you will not losing money.

and keep your old rewards system, and all yours rewards will be in your account as is.

for new customer just point system.

also you can get  free 2GB data for new customer,
enter your email and the same email you will be activated
in here: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/

Back to School is coming up soon...I reckon they'll have some promos soon.

kateyyj
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

thx, i do need a plan with more data, so PM is not a good choice anymore, promotion only last 6mos to a year

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@kateyyj wrote:

1 .having a family member thinking about getting a new phone number, really dont like this new point system,any other good deal?...not at this time, but keep watching Announcements

2. i have two $15 now all paid zero which are nice. if I update one to $25, do I get to keep the old rewards system? or will be forced to use point reward?...You'll keep with Rewards not unless you opt for Points **hint...don't )

if you look at phonebox or other provider, plus current point reward, PM is not that competitive, sadly.

edit's for clarify

Need Help? Let's chat.