cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart SIM card purchase

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I’m being told I cannot purchase a SIM card from Walmart unless they do the activation. 
They flat out refused to sell me a card to activate myself. 
The reason they gave is that customers buy a card and activate it as if they live in another province to get better pricing. 

18 REPLIES 18

@hTideGnow wrote:

For Walmart , it really depends on the Sales.

I have activated multiple lines with different Walmart stores in GTA area and all good experience and free SIMs.   I was lucky also that I usually manage to get the experience sales there and hence all done properly. 

I did have an issue when I activate my own lines with them.  The sales actually called PM and got the issues figured out and resolved.

Did you try buying a sim without activating?  Your experience and opinion could be much different.

Also on Craigslist free and Ebay for 99 cents or less. 

KitharaC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't know how urgently you need a new SIM card, but I ordered mine online for PM and had zero hassle. Perhaps that might be an option to consider if time is not an issue?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

While I am no fan of walmart and your experience at the mobile department can be very YMMV it does mostly depend on each individual business owner's way of operating their business...greedy, helpful, passionate etc....and how they set their policies and train their staff. The most effective way to purchase a sim card only is to explain its a replacement for an account with active service. But be forewarned that similar to koodo they can jack the price of a pm sim card up as high as $30. $20 more than the msrp.

I used to advocate for repercussions from pm to walmart in regards to their mobile department's sales tactics but the bottom line is walmart was pm's first major retail partner giving Canada wide access to public mobile sim cards, vouchers and activations. They are also often the only easily accessible retailer for pm purchases in smaller communities. Like it or not walmart will be a pm retail partner for a long time to come.

I don't think pm commissions are all that much lower than any other provider with exception that there is no chance of making a $0 subsidized device/phone sale. The discounted sim cards, bundles and plan discounts offered by CCS are evidence that a profit can still be made even when the retailer is willing to share some of their commission/profit thru extra discounts in order to gain your custom. Whereas koodo and Walmart along with other retailers can be driven soley by maximum profit and greed.

@DDM69 

Very good experiences have been reported back from purchases and activations with CCS, London Drugs ( I can recommend both of these retailers) along with TMS (at Loblaws/RCSS), Mobilicity and many mom and pop cellphone repair shops offer excellent customer service that can be found using the store locator at the bottom of your screen. Go in educated on what pm plan, promo and purchase you want you will likely come out a satisfied customer.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 wrote:

I’m being told I cannot purchase a SIM card from Walmart unless they do the activation. 
The reason they gave is that customers buy a card and activate it as if they live in another province to get better pricing. 

While I would not step into a Walmart I think you could have activated it in another province. Just say what province you want a number in. But the savings is not that significant...so why bother. And I would not show anyone my ID to buy a SIM card. Also keep in mind Walmart has profited many ways out our expense even if you don’t t shop there. Often they negotiate a property tax rate with the city before they build. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 go to a London drugs or superstore. call ahead of time and call other mobile shops to see if they will sell you just the sim card. then you won't waste time going to a bunch of stores

I'm with you, @hTideGnow ,  the experience one has really depends on how one approaches it.  If you go into the store feeling you're 'too good' for it, just stay away.   I've activated a few services there over the years - quick service, free SIMs with ZERO connection or activation charges, no problems whatsoever.

Difficult to fully understand the Wally haters around here.  They frequently have what I need, when I need it, and at the best price.

So WHY would I shop elsewhere at a higher price - just because it's more classy?

Whatever...   shopping for essential, everyday items is not a fashion statement for me.   It's simply an in and out experience.   And truth be told, their staff go out of their way to help when they don't happen to have something - if you're kind and polite to them, they'll be kind and polite in return.

For Walmart , it really depends on the Sales.

I have activated multiple lines with different Walmart stores in GTA area and all good experience and free SIMs.   I was lucky also that I usually manage to get the experience sales there and hence all done properly. 

I did have an issue when I activate my own lines with them.  The sales actually called PM and got the issues figured out and resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Donning flame suit...Walmart has the right to conduct business however they see fit inside of government regulations. Even then, they can ignore and take the regulatory hit if it doesn't cost them. I hardly think there's any law that says they gotta sell a bare SIM. Agreements with Telus/Public Mobile sure. But Walmart has a rather larger club than Telus/Public Mobile.

If you don't like them, you also have the right to conduct your own business elsewhere. ie. spend your money elsewhere.

I barely ever set foot in any Walmart. Can't stand them.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have proudly not stepped foot in a Wal-Mart since 2007. Wal-Mart is the store that attracts the less savory segment of the population (the type who's homes have axels and wheels attached to them or the type who's idea of formal wear is sweatpants without holes in them) in my area. I will gladly pay more to shop at Sobeys or Loblaws.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

haha.. such a lame excuse.. lol

yes, many reported that Walmart might not sell  you SIM but it is really YMMV.  You can try another Walmart, or London Drug or Loblaws.  Some Koodo stores might be willing to sell you a PM SIM but I think most of them won't

You might want to buy online instead.  Make sure you aware buying from PM online might take 3 weeks for delivery.  I would suggest try Amazon if you have Prime or CSC as suggested above.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 wrote:

@DDM69 

Can you try another Walmart or at least go back when there is another representative there?

Any other areas around you found here?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 

You will find that with Walmart, the experience is very much YMMV.

Chances are, you will find a Walmart with a sensible employee in the mobile department who WILL sell you a SIM card.   Be prepared to pay $10-$20 for the SIM card alone.   The pricing of SIM cards vary widely.

They don't HAVE to sell you one separately - they just really seem to have something against Public Mobile probably because the commissions paid for activation are likely giving them a lower margin than the higher tier providers.

Here's what I'd recommend - go there and say you're buying a SIM card for a relative who is in the hospital (or a senior's home) and cannot safely get to the store.   Say you want to help them set up their new account so they can keep in contact with family.    A little white lie, but no worse than the crap a few Walmart employees (NOT all, most are good and reasonable people) give unsuspecting customers.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's gotten to the point that Public Mobile/Telus should pull out of Wal-Mart stores...both brands that is. Maybe then Wal-Mart will realize they can go pound sand.

And even going further, it's time that physical SIM cards become a thing of the past too. All new phones should transition to eSIMs (and eSIMs that you can download...none of this going to a store to get a QR code on a card crap).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 wrote:

Just tell the sales person that you need to replace the sim in your brothers/sisters phone and they already an active account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 

First I heard of this but you might want to try buying it on sale at Canadian Cell Supplies. They have the PM SIM on sale and they can also activate for you if you want.

Or try London Drugs or Mobile Shop in Canadian Superstore (Loblaw) in the west.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This is a sneaky trick they do to force you to activate + they make money.  Activating shouldn't be necessary at all... either insist to activate yourself, or go to a different retailer.  There are lots out there that would sell you a SIM card without activation.

Edit: I'm curious what "better pricing" people get by activating in another province.  Canadian Cell Supplies is a well-known and reputable online retailer, that also offers local pickup if you're in the GTA area.  There are many others out there too - several malls (even under "lockdown") have retail stores + kiosks still open for transactions such as this.

Need Help? Let's chat.