cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE!

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
38 REPLIES 38

We can blame T-Mobile for that one. It's mostly a North American practice.

That's really goofy. In no world is HSPA considered 4G.

It's similar to Shaw claiming their network is a true fiber optic network.

@softech wrote:

HSPA or HSPA+ is confusing

On my phone, the icon H is actually for 3G.  When my phone is on voice, it changes from LTE to H.

To make matters worse, 4G does mean LTE on some devices.

HSPA or HSPA+ is confusing

On my phone, the icon H is actually for 3G.  When my phone is on voice, it changes from LTE to H.

@softech the earlier screenshot was mine. I think hycm53 was just quoting my message and asking a question.

@DennyCrane wrote:

I actually had no idea some phones showed 4G for HSPA. I'm assuming just a clever marketing attempt?

To this day, carriers (including Telus) sometimes market HSPA+ data as "4G", but then refer to LTE as "4G LTE".   This all started around the time when a U.S.court ruled that carriers could redefine what "4G" meant and this meant that they could refer to HSPA as 4G.  The Canadian carriers start doing the same, although I don't know who was first (either U.S. vs. Canada or which carrier).  I really don't know of any customers who cosnider HSPA to be 4G but carriers do.

I actually had no idea some phones showed 4G for HSPA. I'm assuming just a clever marketing attempt?

This I agree with for certainty. On my US service, I don't recall seeing any indicators that I was on volte. I did see a little HD indicator in the calling app. I could see all the evidence in the settings of course and that screen. So my suggestion of bars still stands depending on whether waiting on LTE has fewer bars.

So many phones have so many different ways of showing things. Last summer I was in the boonies of Quebec and the signal was so weak that the phone dropped down to show an H for HSPA. Not 4G.

@hycm53 wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

If you see LTE or 4G on your screen when making a call, you have VoLTE (voice over LTE). If you see 3G when on a call, you don't. 

So I have to turn off WIFI and get LTE, why is that? I don't understand.

@hycm53 with your earlier screenshot, you see LTE when you are on a call, it is on VoLTE

another thing to check, go to Setting->About Phone -> Status information->Sim card status, if you see IMS registration status showing Registered, you are Good

@hycm53 wrote:

@hycm53 wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

If you see LTE or 4G on your screen when making a call, you have VoLTE (voice over LTE). If you see 3G when on a call, you don't. 

I turn off VPN on my phone, LTE shows up and don't need to turn off WIFI.

I think that you may be misunderstanding. None of fhis needs to be done to enable VoLTE, nor do you need to turn off Wi-Fi to use VoLTE.

@hycm53 wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

I turn off VPN on my phone, LTE shows up and don't need to turn off WIFI.

@hycm53 many phones will not show the network details if you're on WiFi. Your phone should be on LTE, but if WiFi is connected, you'll just see cellular signal bars without any text.

The recommendation to turn off WiFi is only to help you recognize what network you're connected to.

During an active voice call, as long as you're on LTE, it means you're using VoLTE.

@hycm53 wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

Turning off Wi-Fi doesn't enable VoLTE. It's just that if you're connected to Wi-Fi, many phones won't show which type of network yo're connected to at the top of the screen.

@dust2dust wrote:

I think that if you don't see the bars jump up when it switches to 3G that you're probably on the volte. This wouldn't be noticeable if you had full bars while not on a call. The little HD indicator may also be a clue although HD could have been there with 3G technically.

Set your phone to 3G only to check and compare it's behaviour.

@hycm53 is on a VoLTE call.  The bars/signal strength don't need to be checked when there's an LTE indicator on the screen.  The LTE icon would change if the call wasn't using VoLTE.

@DennyCrane wrote:

@DennyCrane wrote:

As I'm sure you already know, many phones (especially/specifically from Samsung) show a 4G indicatior for HSPA netowrk connections.  I've also seen some HTC devices do the same (4G icon for an HSPA connection) but use an "H" icon for HSPA after inserting a different carrier's SIM card.  So, unforutnately, the presence of a 4G icon can't soley be relied upon.

I think that if you don't see the bars jump up when it switches to 3G that you're probably on the volte. This wouldn't be noticeable if you had full bars while not on a call. The little HD indicator may also be a clue although HD could have been there with 3G technically.

Set your phone to 3G only to check and compare it's behaviour.

@hycm53 wrote:

@sheytoon wrote:

@hTideGnow yeah it should be pretty much any LTE phone sold in the last 5-7 years.

I just got VoLTE on my account in Toronto.

IMG-20230316-WA0001~3.jpg

Is LTE same as VoLTE ?

@hycm53   yes, you are on VoLTE as the network is still showing LTE and didn't drop to H or 3G

@sheytoon wrote:

@hTideGnow yeah it should be pretty much any LTE phone sold in the last 5-7 years.

Is LTE same as VoLTE ?

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@pmbc wrote:

I had to look up how to tell if iPhone is using VoLTE so thought I'd share what I found.

• Make a call from 4G
  • Turn off WiFi
  • Check which network it is on
  • If your device is on VoLTE, either the 4G or LTE icon will keep on showing while making the call
  • If not, you would see either 3G or 2G depending on the strongest network

For me I see I'm still on 3G and I've been a member prior to Feb 2023 so I'm expecting to be migrated over the next few months.

Yesterday I tried to turn off WIFI, LTE didn't show up, but today it did, pretty weird. Not sure what's going on. 

@sheytoon wrote:

Unfortunately, there are either some issues with the Telus VoLTE compatibility checker or the network is being very picky about the device being used. My main account is VoLTE is enabled and it works on my Pixel 7.  When I tried, it doesn't work on Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) or on a Pixel 2.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

honestly, this is great news, I look forward to better call quality.

@pmbc wrote:

I had to look up how to tell if iPhone is using VoLTE so thought I'd share what I found.

• Make a call from 4G
  • Turn off WiFi
  • If your device is on VoLTE, either the 4G or LTE icon will keep on showing while making the call

For me I see I'm still on 3G and I've been a member prior to Feb 2023 so I'm expecting to be migrated over the next few months.

On many devices, a 3g, H, 4g, or LTE icon will only show if mobile data is enabled (and Wi-Fi is disabled).

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

• Make a call from 4G
  • Turn off WiFi

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @computergeek541 is VoLTE going to work on ALL phones eventually?  There are just so many phones out there and it would be chaotic if some work and some don't ( especially when 3G got shut down).   I hope there will no more VIP list soon 

The list provided in the Public Mobile help article isn't an exclusive list of devices.  There are other devices that will work.  Telus has a compatibility checking website at https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/how-to-use-volte.

As with any database or list, there can be some devices not on the list that do work with VoLTE and there could also be some erroneous entries, so any compatibility checker should be used as a guide only.  As for if VoLTE will work on ALL phones, the answer would sadly have to be no.  Many phones originally released more than a few years ago won't be compatible with the feature.  

Hi @computergeek541 is VoLTE going to work on ALL phones eventually?  There are just so many phones out there and it would be chaotic if some work and some don't ( especially when 3G got shut down).   I hope there will no more VIP list soon 

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi all, looking at the listof devices, Samsung S21 FE is listed, but anyone any luck with S21 only??

But at least I am happy my iPhone is on the list, but does not work yet 

VoLTE requires and update on the network end.  Not all accounts have had VoLTE enabled, but some will have have had it since February 22.  If the account doesn't have VoLTE enabled,  this feature won't be usable yet even if the device is compatible.

@hTideGnow My iPhone 8 Plus doesn't work yet too.

Need Help? Let's chat.