cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE for customers activated before Feb '23

antonio_alv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am PM user since Aug last year, I got a Xiaomi 13 Ultra that I brought with me from Europe, it is Volte compatible but not sold in Canada and NA, I also discovered it is compatible with PM, as I tried a SIM which has been activated two months ago and indeed it was using VoLTE for calling.

Is there a way to force this on my own plan as well? or do I need to wait PM to let me use the Volte network?

Thank you,

39 REPLIES 39

antonio_alv

I had something to deal with in the last weeks so I could not try anymore, but todays i found myself between my hands a VoLTE certified smartphone, so i decided to give it a try, put my SIM in the new phone, made a call, Volte was on, moved back my sim to the 13 Ultra, it couldn't pick LTE, stuck on HSPA, so i forced the 4g by selecting manually the network (3g was showing as Public Mobile, 4g and 5g as TELUS, probably that's why) and boom, now I do have access to LTE, 5G and VoLTE with auto settings.

VandaT
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

it's giving me a black screen with white text that reads ""message":"unauthorized:

hi @VandaT 

sorry, I misunderstand, you just want to join with eSIM.  Yes, it will work.  But make sure you know, eSIM cannot be transferred between phones.  So, one day you change phone, you will need to buy a new eSIM.  There is no such problem with physical sim card

and for eSIM, make sure you activate PM using the app, not start from the browser

VandaT

does this mean my phone won't work until I get a physical card? I would rather cancel the transfer in that case as my friend told me his activation was super easy with very little down time

VandaT

does this mean my phone won't work until I get a physical card?

HI @VandaT 

eSIM cannot be transferred.  Need to buy new one

On your new phone, download PM app, login, Subscription & Add-ons  , go to the bottom for Shop New sim card and choose eSIM

VandaT

Has anyone else had this? Just signed up and am worried it won't work

I have a dual sim phone with 2 active services. If I turn on data on one sim and then make a call using that sim then the symbol changes to H+. While in the call I can browse a page.
If I turn on data on that sim and then make a call with the other sim then I have no cell data.
What do you have for sims and services?

antonio_alv

I mean, I don't care about weather I am using VoLTE or not, I don't really use calls a lot, but most of the times if I am in a call I am not able to use internet

That was fast that they turned it off after you had it initially. Volte only really matters in parts of Manitoba and roaming in the states. I think it's a nice to have and certainly should be functional when the device can do it and to be restricted knowing it should work sucks. But until UMTS stops, phones still work here.

antonio_alv

@dust2dust @hTideGnow 

Ok so, I did my testing and here the results:

• Sim 2 into Poco X3, the phone display the VoLTE logo for a few seconds and than the call fall back to 3G
  • Second trial Poco goes straight to 3G
  • Tried Sim 2 again on the Xiaomi and it fallback straight to 3G now

I think the Poco triggered the system to disable the VoLTE, I'll try to put both SIM in a VoLTE compatible device and see if this will re enable it on the Xiaomi.

So to go back to your original question, since the phone is not on their list and the account is pre-Feb then it's not at all likely they will allow it. And as I wondered, they might remove volte on the new sim account once their system figures out that the phone is not on their list. People here have reported that volte got removed after a time.

HI @antonio_alv  good, you know what to check for VoLTE or not

so, will wait for your test result tonight

antonio_alv

@dust2dust wrote:

But again, where are you seeing that volte is working? What is your evidence?

@dust2dust @hTideGnow when I make a call using Sim 2 the VoLTE logo appear and the phone keeps the LTE connection, while in Sim 1 drops to H+ or 3G

tonight I'll test Sim 2 on Poco and see what happens

And @antonio_alv  , and you see LTE while you talk on a voice call? or you just see the VoLTE toggle set to on?  Some people could have the toggle able to set  to On but does not mean the phone actually using VoLTE..  To confirm you are really using VoLTE, you need to see the phone on LTE or 4G with browser, and when calls are made, the phone still holding on to 4G or LTE 

That's interesting with your Ultra and new account. It will be interesting to see your update on the Poco. My suspicion would be that that would get retracted in a short amount of time. It's helping to prove out some questions I have about volte.
But again, where are you seeing that volte is working? What is your evidence?

HI @dust2dust 

you want to be heard, join the beta test.  I just saw it today.  🙂

@antonio_alv wrote:

@dust2dust ok, let's brake the thing down:

Sim 1 (Aug 22):

• on Poco X3: no VoLTE
  • on 13 Ultra: no VoLTE

Sim 2 (Jun 23):

• on Poco X3: not tested
  • on 13 Ultra: VoLTE working fine

I can try the Sim 2 on Poco tonight to see if it works on VoLTE, this is happening in Toronto.

HI @antonio_alv 

as said, it is the phones that matter, not the sim .  For VoLTE enablment, it is the account, not the physical sim.  So, both your accounts are VoLTE enabled.  I would think Pico should not work on VoLTE.  If it works, you just lucky that it got through the gap

@dust2dust wrote:

@hTideGnow- So you join others in bullying, harassment, taunting, baiting, trolling - pick your poison. 

hey @dust2dust 

don't play this game wit me.  

I just being nice to you.  You have some knowledge and you have been here for couple years.  I just don't see the point of you keep fighting with PM and everyone here. 

antonio_alv

@dust2dust ok, let's brake the thing down:

Sim 1 (Aug 22):

• on Poco X3: no VoLTE
  • on 13 Ultra: no VoLTE

Sim 2 (Jun 23):

• on Poco X3: not tested
  • on 13 Ultra: VoLTE working fine

I can try the Sim 2 on Poco tonight to see if it works on VoLTE, this is happening in Toronto.

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Phil_Adelphus 

I am curious if they might have turned it on for the account when the number was ported. Of course we can never know for sure. But I dug and read more on that article and sounds like they gradually enabled VoLTE on the older accounts so it’s more likely that you were just enabled after a certain amount of time without any interaction necessary. 

@JRod  "My understanding is that if you had a phone that was on the VoLTE enabled list but were a customer from before February and didn’t message PM to enable VoLTE for your customer profile then you would be unable to use VoLTE until they enabled it on your account."

I was a customer before February but with an Android that was VoLTE capable and provisioned (supposedly) for it on another carrier (tier 1 but not Telus) but didn't get VoLTE despite having a setting for it.  It used to have "HD Voice" in the status bar but one day that disappeared.  I switched that phone to PM on the $15 plan to try it, and got an iPhone to use with the other carrier.  Later, after February 2023, I ported my other carrier number to the iPhone with PM and it automatically got VoLTE at some point, not sure when I thought to do the test.  Long story short, there was never any text saying my PM account was provisioned for VoLTE and nor did I request it, it just worked.

antonio_alv

The Poco X3 was used to activate the most recent Sim which allows VoLTE on the Xiaomi 13 Ultra, the oldest sim does not allow VoLTE on the Xiaomi and neither on the Poco.

But the recent SIM was never used on a phone after activation so I don't know if it allows VoLTE on the Poco as well.

Forgot to mention both sims are PM

So you have a Poco X3 NFC and a Xiaomi 13 Ultra. What all providers are your sims? Are they both Public?

@dust2dust I can't argue when I don't know the facts of those internal decisions. I can just say that it makes zero sense to be intentionally restrictive. Maybe they did a weird implementation of VoLTE, or maybe they did it the same way every other carrier has, but they haven't invested as much time to provision it for every device out there. I don't know. I share your disappointment, but I don't think it's intentional.

hi @dust2dust 

you still don't see your strategy is not working. LoL

@antonio_alv I never got the text either, but I am using their VoLTE service. Try your sim in a compatible device and I think you'll find VoLTE will work.

antonio_alv

But one of the sim allows VoLTE and the other one does not and neither of those was inserted in a compatible device, the only difference is the activation

hi @antonio_alv you don't need the sim to be inserted in a phone to get VoLTE enabled on the account level.  All Pm accounts should have  been enabled with VoLTE.  But Pico and Xiaomi are not on the VoLTE list. So, you need a  whitelisted phone 

antonio_alv

Apparently not all accounts, I also never received the text from PM saying they're activating VoLTE, or that my phone is/is not compatible with the VoLTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.