cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA calling

Tonytracy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
  • Hubby and I are in first month with public. We both have USA Canada package. I have iPhone 11pro he is 11. My phone works great for all features, he is not able to call out. Ends instant. He is on Lte in T-Mobile everything same as mine. He just can’t call out. ??? Text and data works. In USA now. Help?
18 REPLIES 18

Tonytracy

Thanks all. Will update when back at home on wifi. Mine totally worked fine. I’m happy with mine  ( he wasn’t impressed no calling on his.) He was able to call USA from Canada no prob. 

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Oh yeah the phone definitely needs to be updated. The software version is from 2022 and VoLTE was enabled on Public Mobile in 2023. 

@computergeek541  T-Mobile in the US does not have any type of 3g/UMTS/HSPA network.

Yes but they do have 2G in spots and a couple of people on here said the were able to connect with non-VoLTE phones by choosing 3G in the settings, which makes it sound like at least some phones might switch down further?  It was worth a try anyway.

@Tonytracy  For VoLTE to work on PM roaming the ios needs to be at minimum ios16.  A non-VoLTE phone can only connect to T-Mobile's 2G network in the USA because, as @computergeek541 noted, there is no longer any 3G there.  The phone will be fine for voice calls in Canada as 3G has not (yet) been shut down here but for US it needs to be updated.

Tonytracy

Haha, says 6 days to update. I will wait till back in Canada or wifi. At least data and text work for now. Thx

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Tonytracy if it were me I would definitely look to update the OS, could be as simple as that 

Tonytracy

Wondering he is 15.5 and hasn’t updated in long while. Now 17 .5.1??

Tonytracy

No not working. started over! Tried airplane mode, then off.  Still no calling. Won’t even go through. 

@Tonytracy wrote:

3G then no service. It is now showing its calling but doesn’t go through. Before ended instant. On LTE 

@Tonytracy , it seems like the phone that is not working is having issues with VoLTE.  Please confirm the settings using this link.  Toggle airplane mode or reboot phone to establish a new network connect and see if that helps.  

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/apple/iphone-11-ios-16-0/calls-and-contacts/turn-volte-on-or-off...

-

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Tonytracy   On some phones, usually not iPhone but there are exceptions, there is also a VoLTE toggle as well as the LTE setting.   If you can't find a VoLTE toggle it should be enabled automatically by Public Mobile anyway but try 3G on T-Mobile and see if that works.

T-Mobile in the US does not have any type of 3g/UMTS/HSPA network.

golfball

There is no 3G in the United States so that certainly won't work.

Tonytracy

3G then no service. It is now showing its calling but doesn’t go through. Before ended instant. On LTE 

@Tonytracy   On some phones, usually not iPhone but there are exceptions, there is also a VoLTE toggle as well as the LTE setting.   If you can't find a VoLTE toggle it should be enabled automatically by Public Mobile anyway but try 3G on T-Mobile and see if that works.

Tonytracy

Yes data roaming on and it’s on LTE other option 3g

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Tonytracy   Does he have data roaming turned on when making calls (I note that you said data works but some turn it off)?  Make sure also that if there is a VoLTE toggle that it is turned on.

Tonytracy

Tried other networks and  still won’t place call 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Tonytracy

Nope. Tried both. 

eddieO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Tonytracy have him try restarting his phone or try turning ON airplane mode and then turning it off

golfball

Is T-Mobile the only network available in the area? I would try turning off automatic network selection in cellular settings and manually selecting AT&T or Verizon if you can.

Need Help? Let's chat.