cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to US for 5 months

PMDad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

One of our son's will be doing an exchange term with a US university beginning soon, and will be away for 5 months. During this time he won't be using his PM phone account. He's been with PM for a number of years, so we don't wish to forfeit his loyalty credits by cancelling and restarting his account (and getting a new number).

1) I don't imagine there's a way to retain the account & phone number during this time, is there? without paying his full monthly fees.

2) PM only offers 10 day US roaming packages. Do they have longer term roaming packages available - that perhaps aren't widely advertised?

13 REPLIES 13

@Dragonking187 wrote:

My phone didn't work at all when I went to Mexico 

Unfortunately, Public Mobile service doesn't work in Mexico.  

@Dragonking187 wrote:

I'm pretty sure as long as there's money on the account the account shouldn't close 

I realize that anyone can be mistaken about how things work and we're all learning, but there's no need to guess.  The information that you've provide is incorrect and if someone follows the above advice, they will not only have an account that gets closed, but all funds in in it would get forever lost.

Dragonking187

The phone plans in the USA are amazing. I wish canada phone rates were like that 

Dragonking187

My phone didn't work at all when I went to Mexico 

Dragonking187

I'm pretty sure as long as there's money on the account the account shouldn't close 

PMDad

Wow - what a thoughtful and wonderfully detailed explanation. My sense is that Tello Mobile appears to offer the most flexible plans for short-term US use. 

FYI: For short trips (under 7 or 30 days) - I recently used an Airalo e-sim in the US with success. The (data only) rates were compelling, and I would likely use it again when travelling internationally.

Thank you - everyone.

PMDad 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@PMDad 

Your son has some options while in the US for mobile services. A few examples....

• T-Mobile's Connect has prepaid 30 day plans from : $10/1000 domestic text/minutes+1gb data, $15/unlimited domestic talk+text+3gb, $25/6gb and $35/12gb.
  • Mint Mobile has 90 day plans that include unlimited talk+text from the US domestically and to Canada+Mexico. Per 30 days : $15/4gb, $20/10gb, $25/15gb or $30/35gb (unlimited). Check out their referral program and they often have promotions...a back to school offer is likely.
  • Tello Mobile has a variety of plans to suit anyone's needs with unlimited texts+100min/$5, 300min/$6, 500min/$7, unlimited talk/$8+500mb data/$9, 1gb/$10 up to unlimited data/$29.

Using a local sm card and plan with textnow and/or fongo your son can choose the options in the spoiler below to either suspend for up to 88/89 days or if not on a grandfathered (legacy) plan downgrade to the $15 plan (Unless on the former $10 50/50 plan now $13?!!) to use the call forwarding option.

Rewards are paid out after completing a 30 day cycle unless you use lost/stolen then you must contact customer support after paying and reactivating to have them added manually. Loyalty rewards unless already at the maximum $5 payout are delayed if suspended more than 60 days. You may want to limit suspension to 59 days>>reactivate 30 days>>suspend 59 days to cover the 5 month absence. Reactivation occurring sometime in the month of December will allow for the collection of "more is merrier" holiday add on gifts if offered again this year.

Spoiler
  1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward** your pm number to your fongo/textnow number before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your fongo or textnow number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.
    **Do not allow the pm sim card to connect toba US tower or call forwarding will default back to voicemail...or keep the sim card in Canada  otherwise have a spare pm sim card on hand for emergency measures.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy Studies and Stay--Safe!

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@PMDad 

the Rewards will be in account, but for time in suspending you can't getting any rewards
but until paid again, they'll be back in account to earn as is what you have it..

PMDad

Thanks for clarifying!

Wouldn't get Rewards for the time in Suspended...but soon as plan is paid again, they'll be back on his acct.

PMDad

Thanks. I wonder if he would forfeit his loyalty credits by suspending and restarting his account within that time? 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Downgrade plan to the cheapest ($15). Remove Autopay if he has it. Without $$ in Available Funds and with Autopay disabled...his plan won't renew when it expires. If not paid within 90 days, his plan will permanently deactivate.

Make certain to re-up the plan around day 85 or so to keep permanent deactivation from occurring.

There's no long term PM roaming packages...sorry.

Have him get free voip app like Textnow for free calls and texting while he's in an area with free wifi in US.

edit'd...spelling

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@PMDad 

when you go to USA do remove your autopay and your account will be Suspension service for 88 days and again do pay for service and also you will do again remove your autopay , and be careful not go over 90 day you will losing account before 90 day just make payment and to keep your account and phone.

so in USA need service  Jethro Mobile [30 Days] USA Prepaid Sim Card with Unlimited Talk & Text, no Data - Nano Micro Standa...

and very cheap and if you want data with talk do search for jethro mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.