cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching plans

jt123
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have had the same plan for a few years now (with PM), its a 90 day plan. It seems to me that some of the newer plans are better in terms of how much data I would get etc. But if I switch, do I lose my rewards? My cost every 90 days now I believe shows the price after all of my rewards are deducted. I just want to be able to compare apples to apples, so need to make sure if my current rewards carry over to a new plan. 

22 REPLIES 22

@jt123 

From what you have described of your usage you would likely be better of switching to a new plan as it offers more flexibility to move between plans and  the difference in data speeds would be barely noticeable for your needs only affecting  the loading of video content on Instagram for example by being a little bit slower rather than instantaneous.

You would probably save a little bit of usage as the i mage quality will automatically be downgraded to a lower resolution (that is imperceptible on a phone's screen) but depending on the amount you use apps with a lot of video content or high quality images will add up to some noticeable data usage savings that may allow 1gb per 30 days to be enough.

You have been given some great advice by @Anonymous , @Dunkman  and @hairbag1 on changing plans with your rewards to follow your account no matter what plan you choose. I would suggest you start with the $25/1gb plan. Employ all of your data savings tools available to you in your phone (turn off background data, set data warning and limiter etc....)and you will probably stay within 1gb per 30 days. You could purchase the $15/1gb data add on to supplement your usage when you need just a little more to get thru your cycle or just wait it out til December in the hope of "more the merrier" campaign free add on goodies.

After your first 25 days of your new plan and you feel you really want more data the you are free to upgrade to the $35/3gb or the $40/5gb plans. Flexibility to change plans as your needs change is a huge advantage over your 90 day plan currently. BTW....you will still see LTE on your phone once you switch as pm only uses 3G for calling....if you force your phone to the 3G network be cause you want a higher data speed ( avg. 12mbps to 20mbps+) for a particular task then the LTE icon will disappear and the 3G icon will show up.

Be sure to schedule your plan change on next renewal....you can cancel this change at any time up until 11:59:59pm et the day before renewal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 

just to you know when you try to Changing your plan on the next plan renewal date 

We recommend you choose this option because it allows you to use the services you have already paid for until your next plan renewal date. Here are some things you should know about this option:

• If you choose to change your plan on your next plan renewal date, the amount owed will be automatically updated.
  • If you have AutoPay set up, the amount of your new plan will be charged on your payment due date.
  • You can cancel a future-dated plan change at any time by clicking on the ‘Plans and Add-Ons’ tab and selecting ‘Cancel Order’.
  • Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

@jt123 

IMO, your grandfathered plan is not competitive these days.  If you really need LTE, other companies will likely offer about 4-5 GB of LTE data for about $40 per month.  Of course your rewards do lower your monthly costs.  For most day to day uses, many customers find the PM's 3G speeds enough (LTE connection capped at 3G speeds).  

@jt123  FYI: "3G" vs full LTE https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 wrote:

@Anonymous I pay $111 for 90 days with 3 GB data over the 90 days. It is not enough data. Used to be fine for me years ago when I signed up. The $111 does not include my rewards discounts.

@jt123 

you can Switching to

for $35
2.5 GB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500MB with AutoPay
Unlimited
Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging
is nice plan
or if you want more data go with
$40
4.5 GB Data¹ at 3G speed
+BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
Unlimited
Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited
International Text and Picture Messaging

or visit Here to you review all Plans and with 30 days 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 : So yeah you're paying $37 for 1GB (both averaged) per 30 days.

You could save $12 moving to the $25 plan. Your rewards will be divided by 3 each 30 days. (same value).

Then for any "overages" you could buy data add-ons. They're buy once, consume over time.

jt123

@Anonymous I am not a big data user to begin with (mainly use my phone for facebook/ instagram or email), yes I have wifi at home and work and use my computer/ iPad at home for internet. I have a feeling that based on my needs that I may not even notice the difference... 

jt123

@Anonymous I pay $111 for 90 days with 3 GB data over the 90 days. It is not enough data. Used to be fine for me years ago when I signed up. The $111 does not include my rewards discounts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 : There's a lot of discussion either way on this. The slower speed will impact HD videos or large downloads. Is your phone your only internet connection? Do you have lots of wifi places you go?

Some even switch to HSPA data for faster speed and accept a little latency.

It's all in how you use your data day to day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 

so how much you paying for 90 days and how many GB you have !

@jt123 wrote:

@JK8 mine just says "3GB Data" (which is for 90 days) so I must have an old LTE plan since it says nothing about 3G. 

Have a look at the $35 plan...you'll get 3GB of data in that plan every 30 days...not 90.

Your old plan was likely full LTE...but the current plans are all throttled LTE. The average every-day user like me...don't notice any difference really. I'm glad I switched like you're considering doing.

jt123

@JK8 mine just says "3GB Data" (which is for 90 days) so I must have an old LTE plan since it says nothing about 3G. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 wrote:

I have had the same plan for a few years now (with PM), its a 90 day plan. It seems to me that some of the newer plans are better in terms of how much data I would get etc. But if I switch, do I lose my rewards? My cost every 90 days now I believe shows the price after all of my rewards are deducted. I just want to be able to compare apples to apples, so need to make sure if my current rewards carry over to a new plan. 

@jt123 

your Rewards follow through to your account and for any plan earn the Rewards on your account not for the plan.

jt123

@Anonymous so that is the catch. I don't know how much it would impact my daily usage, I just find I don't have enough data with my current 90 day plan (3GB for 90 days). But that must be the toss up... it definitely just says "3GB Data" in my plan description. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 : If the data description lines don't say 3G then you have full LTE.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@jt123 

Try plan details in self service. On my account under Plan Details it says 3G Speed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 

for your plan has LTE is old plan for now the have 3G 

all Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, 

jt123

@Anonymous that was my next question... all of the new plans have higher data amounts, but all say 3G. My phone says LTE all the time. I am trying to look in my account but cannot see if I am paying for LTE or if it is just showing as such. Are the old plans LTE vs new ones 3G? 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you change your plan on next renewal date then 

• Any earned Rewards will be applied on your next renewal after the plan change.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jt123 : The apple with what you have is likely full LTE. The orange of what's current is throttled LTE. It doesn't matter to many people but maybe it does to you.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@jt123 wrote:

Yes your loyalty and refer a friend rewards will carry over. Once you switch you will not be able to get that plan back.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@jt123 wrote:

All your Rewards will carry over to new plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.