cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription bait & switch -> NOT a happy new customer :(

d0r1n
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just switched to Public Mobile from Rogers because of the $40/month Canada-US plan.  The plan is supposed to include "75 GB within Canada and the US Data at 5G Speed" and "Unlimited Canada-US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging" for $40/month.  So far, so good.

When signing up, an additional option for  "225 GB Data at 5G Speed" at $120 for 90 days that appeared to be Canada-US too popped up right under the $40/month and I chose that.

Now when I look at my account, it describes my 90-day subscription as "225 GB Data at 5G Speed" and "Unlimited Canada-wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging".  So it seems that the 225 GB for 90 days plan does NOT include the US anymore.  If that's the case, then this a markedly **bleep**tier plan than the Canada-US one I chose initially.

Can anyone in customer service confirm if my plan is indeed 225 GB within Canada and the US and if the talking is unlimited Canada-US wide minutes or not?  If not, then I want a human to move me to the $40/month Canada-US plan right now (that plan is why I switched to Public Mobile after 25 years with Rogers), refund me the difference for the 90-day plan, and - ideally - apologize for the bait & switch during registration.

This is not a cool way to treat new customers!

18 REPLIES 18

CassyC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This the 225gb plan is the same thing at the 75gb. You're just paying for 3 months at a time.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I haven't heard of a 90 day Can/US Plan.  I couldn't even replicate this scenario.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@d0r1n I would be firm that they need to switch you to the $40 Can/US plan immediately for no extra charge, and to refund you the $80 for the next 60 days. You never should have been given that 90 day option. Show them all the screenshots you posted here.

d0r1n

Thanks for the good advice @softech.
Unfortunately, I did register already and I seem currently stuck with a Canada-only 225 GB 90-day plan (which does have unlimited slow-speed overage).
I DM'd the agent.  I will be satisfied if they can just switch me to the $40/month Canada-US roaming plan without me losing money in the bargain.  I would be even more satisfied if they removed the misleading 90-day option when registering.  And I would be actually pleased if a human were to apologize for the mix-up (though I don't expect that to happen).

@Phil_Adelphus Agreed. And it specifies Canada only. And there are no 90 day US plans.

@d0r1n  Yes that after registration shot doesn't look right since the Canada/US plans don't have unlimited data. It's probably just a glitch, customer service will sort it out for you.

Okay that doesn't look like a US plan. You need to send a direct message to @CS_Agent to get this sorted out if you're already on that plan. There's also a $34/50GB Can/US plan if that's of interest.

@d0r1n 

again, if you have not registered yet, go with $40 for 30 days and not the 90 days one.  PM has been changing plans a lot lately, no point to lock yourself in a 90 days contract

d0r1n

Hopefully this clarifies why I think I was subject to a bait & switch when I registered.  The Canada-US roaming was a key feature for being attracted to the $40/month Canada-US plan.

Screenshots when registering:

Public Mobile registration month vs 90-day 01.png

Public Mobile registration month vs 90-day 02.png

Screenshot after registration:

Public Mobile subscription 90-day.png

@DennyCrane I tried a change plan from existing customer and there is no such option

@d0r1n you shouldn't go with 90 days plan.  there is no further discount.  The 90 days plan is effectively a 90 day contract.  There is no further saving, only upside is you get 225GB upfront, which you can control the usage within the 90 days.  But if you overuse early, you will have no data for the rest of the 90 days.  Remember, all Canada-US plans do not have unlimited 512KB 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@d0r1n Have you tried phoning anyone in the US to see if the call goes through?  The Canada only plans would need an add on to be able to call the US otherwise it won't work.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Interesting I didn't know that was an option. If that's what you have it does include US.

@d0r1n 

you should be good with the screenshot.  

In fact, many plans are Canada-US but PM plan details not show clearly.

Again, open ticket with PM support and have them to confirm

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@d0r1n If it doesn't say in the self-serve that means it's not included. Your option now to change it to what you want. However, you will loose what you already paid if you try to change your plan now. So schedule to renew on your next renewal instead. Alternatively, you can reach out to CS_Agent and see if they make an exception and get you on the right plan without you loosing what you already paid. You can reach out to them by clicking on the chat bubble located on the bottom right screen.  

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Can you post a screenshot of your plan without any personal info? I didn't think any of the US plans had a 90 day option.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@d0r1n 

i won't be so sure the plan you got is a Canada-US plan.  Your got a 75GB plan for 90 days, so you got 225GB data up front.  But I cannot find the $40-75GB has a 90 days option.

I would not hesitate to contact agent to confirm, and hopefully they can help if the wrong plan was chose.

Please open ticket with PM support using Chatbot:

1. Open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html
    Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", then "Other", then "Login" and finally click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗
2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after ticket submitted, CS Agent will reply to you there

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @d0r1n 

It is an unlimited talk and text in both Canada and the US. THe 225GB is for 90 days. Once you've used that up you're out of data.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1709348616497.png

Have to say though, it doesn't say anything about a 90 day package. But I'll take your word for it. 

But don't worry, it is 100% available for using in both Canada AND the US talk text and the 225GB data bucket.

I've been with Public Mobile for 5 years now and never had a problem. I just switched myself to the $34 50GB 5G Canada/US plan. Heading to US within the month. Never had any issues using my phone down there using T-Mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.