cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile support for IPhone 5c (iOS 10.3.3)???

damaflaca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

Is anybody currently using Public Mobile with an IPhone 5c and  the version of the operating system iOS 10.3.3?

We just switched a phone like that from Virgin Mobile on Thursday and everything worked fine on Friday and since then we don't get a signal (it shows No Service) and we're wondering if Public Mobile dropped support for that version of iOS two days ago.

We already got Virgin Mobile to unlock the phone and remove the IMEI from a black list (where it suddenly showed up after we dumped them), but we still don't get service again. The SIM card works well in other phones and SIM cards from other carriers (e.g. Freedom Mobile) work well in this phone, so it just the combination of this phone with this SIM card after Friday.

That's why we're wondering if Public Mobile stopped supporting iOS 10.3.3 two days ago.

Could anybody using that version of iOS please chime in?

Thanks!

37 REPLIES 37

damaflaca

@softech 

I didn't do anything new, so I'm also assuming that the de-listing from the blacklist took longer than expected to reach Public Mobile.

Thanks.

@damaflaca   did you do anything?

If not, I guess just that PM take long to update the blacklist

damaflaca

I'm back online with service this morning.

Thank you all for your help! 😊

damaflaca

@Ludditethanks for the bullet list, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

damaflaca

@esjliv 

Came back as CLEAN as well in the free basic test, but the one I need to be CLEAN is the test that Public Mobile does and it seems that will have to wait until tomorrow 🙁

Thank you for your help.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Luddite  reminded me of something that you responded to on @Dunkman post...you said you could not log into your apple id any longer after this issue.

If after trying Luddite's suggestion, are you able to deregister the number on the iphone: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Then register it again.

@damaflaca "my husband has an Iphone 5S (iOS 12.5.5) and I have an IPhone 5C (iOS 10.3.3). My SIM card in his phone works fine. His SIM card in my phone doesn't work (No Service)."

So, something is wonky with your phone. I have an iPhone 5 using iOS 10.3.4. 

To confirm your phone is unlocked, try a sync to itunes:

1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
    2. Connect to computer with USB cable
    3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
    4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
    5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)
    6. Disconnect and reboot

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@damaflaca wrote:

@esjlivit only let me check a couple of times a day, but it said that it was NOT blacklisted anywhere. This other one https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/ says that is CLEAN and so does this one https://www.imeipro.info/

@damaflaca  here is another one to try: https://www.imei.info/ 

🙂

But what are the chances, after checking those other sites with passing colors.

damaflaca

@esjlivit only let me check a couple of times a day, but it said that it was NOT blacklisted anywhere. This other one https://imei24.com/blacklist_check/ says that is CLEAN and so does this one https://www.imeipro.info/

@damaflaca   since it is a Sunday today, you might not get the service we hope for.

Open a ticket with CS Agent again tomorrow, provider them the story about your "short trip" of being blacklisted and demand them to escalate the support to look into it further.

Looking forward for good news from you  🙂

@damaflacaso when you checked your IMEI just after posting this on this site:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

what did it say? 

Hopefully CSA can 'catch up' to what the status is here. Keep us posted.

damaflaca

@esjliv 

About downgrading iOS, first we'd have to start by finding out how to do it. Then, some other apps might stop working (they could require the version is there now), and after all things were working very well on Friday with the same version I have now before the phone apparently was blacklisted.

damaflaca

@softech 

I agree, I shouldn't have to rollback if it was working well on Friday with that very version and that could also have side effects.

I tried turning it off for couple of minutes, but when I started it showed No Service right away. However, it did behave like you said the first time that I inserted my husbands SIM card (which is also PM): it connected for a few seconds and then got No Service as well. If that's an indication of being blacklisted, then it might still be there...oh boy!
I contacted CS_Agent via Private Messages. I was with someone there pretty  much the whole day yesterday, but it wasn't until I went to the Walmart kiosk the first time yesterday that the guy called someone in Public Mobile and they told me about the IMEI being blacklisted. Then today it's being a struggle the whole day again and still waiting on this.

Thank you for shedding some light.

@damaflaca wrote:

@esjliv  my husband has an Iphone 5S (iOS 12.5.5) and I have an IPhone 5C (iOS 10.3.3). My SIM card in his phone works fine. His SIM card in my phone doesn't work (No Service).

@damaflaca oh-k got it now. i was seeing these the same model, when I was reading this for some reason.

So you said you were already in contact with a Public Mobile support agent and they asked you do downgrade. Would there be any harm in trying that, to see if the SIM would provide services?

Or, were you just waiting to confirm all locks and blacklisted issues were resolved first?

edit, since this phone was with virgin, and walmart tested a freedom sim, it should not be blacklisted, or still locked to virgin, if the freedom sim worked. So this may be a compatibility/software issue after all.

damaflaca

@esjliv  my husband has an Iphone 5S (iOS 12.5.5) and I have an IPhone 5C (iOS 10.3.3). My SIM card in his phone works fine. His SIM card in my phone doesn't work (No Service).

@damaflaca wrote:

@softech  if by PM support you mean @CS_Agent, I think I kind of did that already right when I posted this here because they were suggesting that I rolled back the latest version of iOS in my phone to the previous one 

@damaflaca did you engaged CS_agent via opening ticket with them?  If you meant those replied here, then we are just customer like you. CS_agent are those work with you via Private message.  Or you meant those replied earlier on this post?  If those replied on the post, they are just customers like you trying to help.   If you have not open a ticket with CS Agent yet, message them to confirm:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened. CS Agent will reply you there

personally, I do not think a OS roll back would do the trick. Most iOS users here are on the latest iOS and are working well.  

I suggest you try to get a friend on Koodo and/or Telus and try it with their SIM (or your phone to a Koodo or Telus store and ask them to try it there.)   PM and Koodo both use Telus system and they all will have the same Blacklist they sync'ed from the main one.  So, if Koodo and Telus SIM both not working, then likely your phone is not off the blacklist yet.  It said 4 hours, but it could take longer, depends on how quickly Telus system update the blacklist form the main one

Also, try to turn off the phone for a minute.  Then turn it on and look closely at the status. If a phone is on blacklist, you would see the phone able to connect to the network for a very short time, like 30 seconds, it exchange the info and the got denied access to the network.  So, you should see it connected briefly before no longer able to connect, that would be a sign of blacklisted 

damaflaca

@Drmchsr66  I'm at the top of my IPhone 5C supports:

damaflaca_1-1650245935771.png

Thanks.

@damaflaca wrote:

@esjlivhe has an IPhone 5S and a higher version of iOS, has a different account and SIM, and has been smooth sailing for him since he joined Public Mobile 2+ years ago and the reason why I decided to make this switch from Virgin Mobile. We tried my SIM card in his phone and it worked fine there.

@damaflaca 

Did you confirm his SIM works in your phone fine? If I missed that somewhere, sorry.

What version of iOS is your husband's 5c phone? I thought I read the highest for the 5c is 10.3.3, which is the one that you are having issues with on yours?

What would be the difference between the two if same model, version, etc....other than locked or blacklisted?

damaflaca

@softech  if by PM support you mean @CS_Agent, I think I kind of did that already right when I posted this here because they were suggesting that I rolled back the latest version of iOS in my phone to the previous one and I was very reluctant to do that, so I asked them if they could check something like what you're saying in their system. From what Virgin Mobile told us yesterday, our phone it should have been off that blacklist about 26 hours ago and they had told us it would take at least 4 hours to "propagate", but not more than 24 hours. Thanks for your suggestion.

damaflaca

@esjliv  I have it like that because that's the default. Exchanging emails with CS the suggested to turn it off and manually select Public Mobile, but that didn't help and I reverted it back to the default:

damaflaca_0-1650245291002.png

damaflaca

@esjlivhe has an IPhone 5S and a higher version of iOS, has a different account and SIM, and has been smooth sailing for him since he joined Public Mobile 2+ years ago and the reason why I decided to make this switch from Virgin Mobile. We tried my SIM card in his phone and it worked fine there.

Drmchsr66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi again,

Sorry I double checked and your iphone 5c can only go up to 10.3.3.

No idea.

Drmchsr66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

I am using a iphone 6 with PM but i also have an iphone 5s that I use for web stuff. I just wanted to say that my iphone 5s is updated to its limit at 12.5.5. Can your 5c get updated? Thought maybe that was an issue. 

@damaflaca  how long the phone has been off the blacklist?  I suggest you to open a ticket with PM support and have them to confirm if PM still treating your phone on the blacklist (maybe they need more time to sync the updated list)

If you have not open the ticket yet, open one and ask them.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@damaflaca  - Can you check your network connection on the device?

1. Go to device Settings
  2. Tap on Cellular
  3. Tap on Network Selection
  4. Turn on Automatic network selection

Your iPhone will continually look for the best available network and connect to it.

@damaflaca wrote:

@BKNS27My husband has an IPhone 5S with Public Mobile and all this time he's had service. Also, we've tried from different parts of the city. Thanks.

@damaflaca - 

It appears the latest software update for the iphone 5S is the one you have- iOS 10.3.3, released July 19, 2017.

So your husband ALSO has a iphone 5S, or is this a 2nd phone and Public Mobile account we are talking about here?

Can you swap SIMs between the 2 phones and see what works for each?

damaflaca

@BKNS27My husband has an IPhone 5S with Public Mobile and all this time he's had service. Also, we've tried from different parts of the city. Thanks.

damaflaca

@esjlivI took it to the Walmart kiosk because they are an authorized dealer of Public Mobile and I've been having the problem way before they tested with a Freedom Mobile SIM card. I think they were trying to figure if the phone worked with SIM cards from a different carrier and also if my SIM card (which I bought from them) worked in another phone. Both tests were successful.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@damaflaca 

If issues persist, submit a ticket to CSA for assistance to inquire about the IOS version you have and check your account.

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

@damaflaca wrote:

@esjlivwe don't have a Freedom SIM card, that test was done by the guys at a Walmart kiosk. Since then, I've restarted the phone several times always with the Public Mobile SIM card inside.

@damaflaca  - why would Walmart do a test with a Freedom SIM card?

Has it not worked since they did that, if so, I am suspecting they mucked something up inserting the Freedom SIM to begin with. But, I could be totally wrong.

Need Help? Let's chat.