cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Unlimited Data?

W1N570N
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does public mobile now have unlimited data (512 kbps) after you use up all your data?

I was looking for a new plan and stumbled into the fine print section where it said this "

1. Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management policies and other factors. Please refer to Public Mobile’s Network Traffic Management Policies here for further information." 

Is this true?

(The link is here: https://assets.ctfassets.net/xe7doznj0dju/3hR2yEQXlSKE8dXGNEKQZa/ef14c6048939c388603c81a1faa80440/Pu...)

56 REPLIES 56

Maddie-Jaclyn1

It's a preference. It has a anti virus protection system too. Have been using it for years and never had an issue. But thanks.

what? cleans your phone at the same time? I suggest uninstalling that virus you just installed on your device

Maddie-Jaclyn1

You can use vpn to keep safe from potential throttling (forced reduce speed by another provider, usually Bell itself) and you can also use a phone booster app which is free, there are internet speed booster apps as well but i recommend the phone booster because it cleans your phone at the same time 

@Nezgar- Oh, the other direction, got it. 🙂

@dust2dust wrote:

@Nezgar- 10x? 3072 / 56 = 54 and change.

I was doing my math based on the 512Kbps 5G reduced speed. Yes indeed, the regular "3G" speed of 3.0Mbps (which would be 3000 Kilobits per second, not 3072) is absolutely faster, and for myself completely sufficient for most tasks.

@Nezgar- 10x? 3072 / 56 = 54 and change.

@Circus wrote:

3G speed is obviously 3,072 Kbps and not too fast and at times frustrating  ----- The 5G unlimited reduced speed would be a maximum of 512 Kbps - soooooo it would be much worse then snail pace .

I still think of it as 5x 128Kbps ISDN speed... and 10x faster than dialup technically 😁

Captainproton
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes it's true, but only for the 5G plans. 

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I think The Unlimited Data at this point should Not be part, I like the Add-On Option, and the Throttle speeds is not exactly something I am a fan of

Bunnyhop

Yes! Your data will slow down to 512kbps after you use your state data.

@will13am wrote:

If that's the case data add-ons are obsolete.  You are HODLing a dinosaur.  

Well, yes and no.

Unlimited throttled data is still throttled data.

Limited unthrottled data is still better when it's available. Especially if - *if* - the limited data speeds are also increased enough that 512kbps seems slow in comparison.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

after the maintenance overnight in the early hours, they took down that text in the fine print, I still think these changes will still happen someone just obviously jumped the gun rolling them out on the site earlier than planned it seems, the media coverage I think raised alarm bells.

W1N570N

I believe that the unlimited data will probably only apply to the new 5g plans not the existing plans which is a bit disappointing. 

LeePublic

@esjliv Black Friday deal! I also get rollover data too! So I end up getting about 30 GB per month since I don't use it all up. 

Hopefully this leak regarding PM means Koodo will get 5G soon!

@LeePublic wrote:

I'm curious about the pricing? 🤔 I wonder it it would be similar to what Visible in the US does? I might join back if the pricing is reasonable. Though, I might ride out my 2 years of $30 20 GB with Koodo.

@LeePublic , ohhh that’s a good deal! Are you sure you want to leave Koodo? 🤣

Edit: That would mean you gave up your old rewards account here? 😥 You would have the new public points rewards if you came back!

@LeePublic wrote:

I'm curious about the pricing? 🤔 I wonder it it would be similar to what Visible in the US does? I might join back if the pricing is reasonable. Though, I might ride out my 2 years of $30 20 GB with Koodo.

Have you left Public @LeePublic  ?   $30 for 20GB monthly? that is good. Was that a targeted offer to bring you back to Koodo?

LeePublic

If that's the case data add-ons are obsolete.  You are HODLing a dinosaur.  

@will13am i think it will kick in only after all the addon and bonus are drained..  so, likely I won't be testing it.. LoL

Exciting times.  I wonder if anyone has been able to verify the unlimited data.  How would that work in relation to data add-ons?  Would it obsolete data add-ons or does it kick in after data add-ons are exhausted.

W1N570N

Let us know if this is real feature!

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am or a response to Quebecor/Freedom/Videotron

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I wonder if all this is a repositioning of the brand to accommodate MVNOs which are supposedly coming to a theatre near you.  

@LitlLdy I don't expect any less with eSIM.  uSIM (Physical sim) rarely fail.  Most problem we see are in fact account issue and not really issue from the sim card itself 

@Korth , I wonder if eSIM will have just as many technical issues or be better in that sense! PM has several bugs as it is so I wonder how all these new things happening if they will be able to keep up the maintenance with it since they are already not able to deal with the ongoing issues! eSIM, app & so on may cause a lot more issues! I’m really hoping not!

Edit: I forgot which post I was commenting on! 🤣  Unlimited data would be nice! At the moment I’m using up my data as a personal hotspot to my iPad. My electricity has been out since 4:15am (over 5 hours now)

i bet most 3g towers will be gone by the end of this year

@esjliv wrote:

@W1N570N - well this post brought out some interesting finds! 

Humm, yes that unlimited data in the 'webpolicy' document?  Guess customers with lots of data addons will not have the ability to test this...darn it.

I do find it odd that the app is available to download, but can't be used in 'maintenance mode'. Shouldn't even be available to download unless in use, IMO. But I guess Public is working on what some customers are asking for...just makes me wary since it is likely driven by My Account and we all know the bugs My Account/My Rewards can have.

So here is hoping these recent maintenance 'downage' is an improvement to all that (as @Korth  and @Nezgar and @XionBunny alluded too also).  🤞

@esjliv , exactly what I’m thinking on all that! Hoping it all turns out to be good news though 🙂

@Patchio wrote:

@GR 

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the fine print listing the price of an eSIM ($5).

Good old Telus, they never squander an opportunity to squeeze some money out of customers, even when some of Public Mobile's direct competitors offer eSIM's for free. At least PM isn't charging $10 for an eSIM.

SIM card $10, eSIM $5.

Perhaps this is just the going rate for these things, the same prices everyone else will charge on the market.

But I see the beginning of a trend to encourage consumers towards eSIMs. To eventually abandon physical SIM cards (and phones with physical SIM card slots) entirely. eSIMs are a small convenience for consumers, they could evolve into a great convenience once they mainstream onto all devices. But they are also a convenience for providers, yet another way to marry accounts and devices together, to control (limit) options and to lock consumers into their service.

Although I'm not entirely cynical ... I think physical SIM cards will still be around for a decade or so.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@W1N570N - well this post brought out some interesting finds! 

Humm, yes that unlimited data in the 'webpolicy' document?  Guess customers with lots of data addons will not have the ability to test this...darn it.

I do find it odd that the app is available to download, but can't be used in 'maintenance mode'. Shouldn't even be available to download unless in use, IMO. But I guess Public is working on what some customers are asking for...just makes me wary since it is likely driven by My Account and we all know the bugs My Account/My Rewards can have.

So here is hoping these recent maintenance 'downage' is an improvement to all that (as @Korth  and @Nezgar and @XionBunny alluded too also).  🤞

XionBunny

I certainly hope they won't do that, but like you, I wouldn't be shocked either, there is only one provider that doesn't pull that and still allows unlimited throttled data on their 15$ plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.