cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old $60 US roaming plan.. horrible service while roaming

BenKayfetz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the old holiday plan that includes unlimited US talk/text + 2gb roaming. Although the plan has great value... Unfortunately I just came back from 10 days in the US and the service was barely usable. 

Has anyone been roaming with an add-on on the newer higher speed plans? I'm thinking of taking the $40 promo that's currently available.

And is the same $15 for 15 days/3gb roaming add-on available for this higher speed plan?

And how's the quality of service while roaming?

TIA

18 REPLIES 18

@BenKayfetz  OK that sounds like exactly what to expect now that the 3G network is gone in the USA. 2G has very limited coverage, and doesn't support data simultaneously with a call. In line with the disclaimers re USA roaming on the Public Mobile plans page, and the add ons ordering page.

Good to hear the data and texting was reliable over LTE though - that modern network should have very good coverage.

BenKayfetz

I was in Fort Lauderdale most of the time. Data and text were pretty good. But talk was barley useable. Also, while in a call, data totally stopped working.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz  Was your experience poor with Voice or Data, or both? Did you ensure you were connected to t-mobile only?

I expect the data/texting should have been reliable since it uses the LTE network - only calling should have been the main service at risk of poor or non working service since it relies on a 2G network now which is not prevalent across the US anymore...

@softech 

PM did not mention specifically  VoLTE would active in Canada. Just in the USA for roaming, but I would assume both.  Next time we have a meeting, I will try to ask.  

@Dunkman does that mean VoLTE here will come at the same time? or just VoLTE for roaming 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@BenKayfetz 

According to management, Public mobile is actively working on VoLTE for US roaming. The tentative time frame was the first quarter of 2023.  However, Public mobile changes often take longer than stated.  

First of all I would assess whether you actually need and use all of that 15gb of data to be paying for it. If you look at all your usage over the last several months and see that you used upwards to 6 gigs once and the rest was around 4 gigs then why pay for 15? But that's your economic choice.

So yes it would be cheaper overall.

60 * 12 = 720

40 * 12 = 480 + 30 * 4 = 120 totaling 600

There's a 120 savings.

Again, examine your actual data usage and maybe get a smaller bucket of data for less money and save even more overall.

I can't wrap my head around people getting a plan just because it's a deal. I think it should be decided on need. But that's just me.

@BenKayfetz I would think so.

Also, or you can use Local data sim and free VoIP app to get more data and less cost

@BenKayfetz  I’d defiantly change to that plan just for the value in fact I did change to that plan over the holidays .. 15Gb for $40 tuff plan to beat 

BenKayfetz

@softech 

"but yes, $60 is not cheap plan. If you don't go US a lot , do you want to keep paying?"

That being said... Isn't better to go with the current promo $40 plan and add the $15 unlimited talk/text 3gb roaming add-on when you do go to the USA? Even if you go every month, it'll still be $5 less. (I go 2 to 4 times a year)

@BenKayfetz whether you have 3G speed or 4G speed plan, aALL PM customers need TMobile 2G network for voice roaming.  Again, this issue will only be resolved until VoLTE is enabled 

@BenKayfetz wrote:

@esjliv 

Does PM roaming talk still depend on the 2G T mobile also when you have the PM 4G plan? Or do you get better roaming with the PM 4g plans?

@BenKayfetz - it does not matter which plan you choose, when Roaming in the USA.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Any roaming, whether that coveted plan or the add-ons, has been affected by the US partner providers shutting down their 3G services. This seemed to have caused an unacknowledged loss of AT&T as one of those partners. So it's only T-Mobile. All providers have their coverages. If you aren't in an area covered by T-Mobile then you won't get any connection. When you have T-Mobile then data and text should work fine. Talk is then hampered by T-Mobile allowing us to use their still running old 2G network which has yet further coverage limitations.

I had fine service where I was in Hawaii last December. Still again, this can vary by coverages.

The home base plan would not make a difference.

BenKayfetz

@esjliv 

Does PM roaming talk still depend on the 2G T mobile also when you have the PM 4G plan? Or do you get better roaming with the PM 4g plans?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@BenKayfetz did you have trouble with talk only and data was fine? or you had problems with data as well?

did you try to connect the T-Mobile?

if voice is an only issue, VoLTE might be coming soon and that would resolve the problem.  But no one know when exactly it will come

but yes, $60 is not cheap plan. If you don't go US a lot , do you want to keep paying?  But once you changed plan, you won't be able to get back to this grandfathered plan 

@BenKayfetz wrote:

I have the old holiday plan that includes unlimited US talk/text + 2gb roaming. Although the plan has great value... Unfortunately I just came back from 10 days in the US and the service was barely usable. 

Has anyone been roaming with an add-on on the newer higher speed plans? I'm thinking of taking the $40 promo that's currently available.

And is the same $15 for 15 days/3gb roaming add-on available for this higher speed plan?

And how's the quality of service while roaming?

TIA

You're going to need to decide if keeping your current plan is worh the price you're paying.  As for roaming add-ons, the same roaming add-ons are available in combination with any plan,.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz  Not necessary to change plans roaming in the US is spotty at best as US is getting rid of 3G and leaves roaming options for voice on 2G which just isn’t all that reliable. Unfortunately 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@BenKayfetz - what services did work while you were in the USA?

Were you connected to the T-mobile 2G network?

Public mobile talk is hit and miss these days because of the decommissioning of the 3G Network in the USA.  

PM roaming talk depends on the 2G T mobile network which has unreliable coverage in the USA.  

Data and text should work fine.  

Need Help? Let's chat.