cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number transferring to another carrier

Modhu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I transferred my number to Freedom mobile in late Sept. 2022 but PM didn't do the transfer and I threw out the PM SIM. I still want to transfer my number to Freedom mobile. As I threw out the PM SIM I can't get any more text messages from PM. Please let me know how can I transfer my PM number to Freedom mobile in this situation.  Thanks.

KAZI

11 REPLIES 11

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Modhu   Yes, if you purchase another SIM and the PM account is active, you would need to sign into the account and select Quick Link (top right of self serve page) and select Change SIM and follow prompts and will need to verify via 2FA if not signed into the account with 2FA.  Your number will register with the new SIM which can then be ported out, but keep this SIM in the phone until you've received and responded to the transfer text request from PM within 90 minutes window.

edit:  BTW, you could try to purchase the PM SIM from either Koodo/Telus official stores if nearby as delivery time from PM can take many days or weeks.  Or try Amazon for quicker delivery.

Modhu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, My PM AC is active, & my Freedom AC is also active with their SIM in my phone. I want to keep and transfer my old number with PM to Freedom.

If I purchase a new SIM from PM can I get back my old number with PM that is still active?

If that works then I can ask Freedom to do a transfer.

Should be working?

@softech 

I guess they're eager to move on with their choice of mobile service provider.

I see it as completely severing the ties.  Though, I'm not nearly as bound to such things as perhaps some others are.  (current OP excluded, of course 😉)

@softech wrote:

Sometimes, I don't understand why people throw away the sim card so quickly... 

SIM cards are so bulky and take so much space people want to get rid of them asap.

@HALIMACS  - 'Sucky situation and regrettable that Freedom may not have made it clearer to the OP to ensure to keep their old service SIM in a device to receive the PAT.'

Do you think any mobile company will inform customers porting phone number to keep their old SIMs? I guess it is assumed people are born with phones as attachment so they know what the process is 🙄

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech very true… I keep them all.. lol.. still have my first bag phone that cost me 1600 a month…😬😬

Sometimes, I don't understand why people throw away the sim card so quickly... 

@Metal1967 wrote:

@Modhu  what service do you have now..? freedom with a new  number ? Is your pm account still active?

Sure sounds like that's the case, @Metal1967 

They're likely running on 2 services and were assigned a 'temporary' number with Freedom until the port from PM is completed.  Fortunately, their PM service is likely still able to be accessed if last active in September.

Sucky situation and regrettable that Freedom may not have made it clearer to the OP to ensure to keep their old service SIM in a device to receive the PAT.

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Modhu  what service do you have now..? freedom with a new  number ? Is your pm account still active?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Modhu I think you missed the text from PM and caused the problem

You really need to get a replacement sim card from Telus or Koodo store, then go back into My Account,  make sure Account is still active, or pay for 1 month if not, then request change sim card.  Then go back and ask Freedom to re-request.  Sorry, no shortcut to that

Meow
Mayor / Maire

In order to port number out you have to have PM SIM in your phone to authorize porting.

Does your Freedom SIM works?

Is you PM account active? Can you log in to your PM account?

You could ask agent for assistance in this matter but be ready to purchase new PM SIM to complete porting process.

To contact CSA-agent, there are 2 methods:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If ticketing does not work very first time, contact agent directly.

- Send a private message to the CSA - agent by clicking Here

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Modhu 

You can try to request the CSA's 'approve' the port of service using the "Get Help" section  -OR-  you can acquire a PM SIM card to temporarily swap into the PM service using the "Change SIM" option in self-serve to get the port authorization text.

Try the first option, then if you must, get a SIM card from a local provider of mobile services.  Might cost you $10-$20 but worth it to complete the port.   Tell the provider that you 'lost your phone' so they are more willing to sell you a stand-alone SIM card without trying to up-sell a whole plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.