cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving 2FA codes after switching over to public mobile

SilverStandard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ever since i switched over to PM my phone isn't receiving texts from sites when im logging into my accounts with 2FA enabled. I'm still able to receive texts otherwise, it's just happening with 2FA codes. Anybody know how to solve this issue?

14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SilverStandard : This is the problem with iMessage and Android Chat. It's deceiving as to the services you're using. And of course all in cahoots with the providers to cause you to use your data. Then to have to do some fiddling to narrow down where a problem might be.

And yes, incoming services are the giveaway of a problem port.

SilverStandard

It was a problem with my porting the number. When i thought i was receiving texts it was only through internet not regular SMS. So incoming calls and SMS were not working but outgoing SMS and calls were going through. I had to rerequest a port through PM to my old provider and now everything is working as it should, 2FA included. I appreciate all the help everybody!

@SilverStandard wrote:

@hTideGnow 

It was exactly 4 days ago. I guess ill wait a few days and come back. Hopefully my issue is that simple. Thanks.

@Yummynope, it was my cellphone number.

@HALIMACSI appreciate all the help.

Hi @SilverStandard   If it has been 4 days, it will start coming soon depends on the company

Again, if you already receiving Friends' regular SMS, then PM side is good.  

In case you waited a full week and you still not receive 2FA from selected banks, you should check with the bank directly instead and make them aware you have ported your number recently

@SilverStandard 

Disable any enhanced messaging app features (iMessage, RCS, Signal, etc). Change the app or system settings to only use standard default unexciting SMS/MMS protocol. Make sure your cellular data is active, in case the messages are sent as multi-segment SMS or as MMS images. Then restart the device just to be sure the changes persist.

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/4502175/how-turn-iphone-imessage-off-surprising-reasons/

You can re-enable these enhancements later, if you like, once all your plaintext 2FA communications are completed.

Your next best option is to try swapping your SIM card (along with your phone number) into another phone long enough to do your 2FA.

You may have to wait a little while (an hour? a day?) between failed attempts so the 2FA senders aren't flagging repeated requests with your number as suspicious.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SilverStandard 

That's a really long time since your port. If I were you, I would write private message to CS_Agent with your account details, so they can look into the proper provisioning and porting of your number.

Hmmm. Never had issues receiving short codes by using PM plan.

Somebody mentioned a while ago it takes a week or longer to establish new route for these codes with new numbers. I might be wrong... Banks, government, all codes arrive instantly...

SilverStandard

@hTideGnow 

It was exactly 4 days ago. I guess ill wait a few days and come back. Hopefully my issue is that simple. Thanks.

@Yummynope, it was my cellphone number.

@HALIMACSI appreciate all the help.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Did you port your land line to PM by any chance?

@SilverStandard 

Try this:

Current Short Code Programs - TXT.CA

Use the search feature within the result to hopefully locate your provider.

EDIT:   you might also find this past PM article helpful

(1) What short codes are supported by Public Mobile? - Community

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@SilverStandard how long you have ported you number?  it is normal you don't get 2GA for couple days after porting.  Bank put a break on it for couple days in case of fraud.  You should start getting them 5 or 7 days after. 

SilverStandard

@HALIMACS 

Is there a way to find their short codes? I always delete the texts once I've used them, unfortunately.

I tried switching to 3G and asking for the code and then back to 4G and asking again but neither got through.

@SilverStandard 

Try manually setting your device to either 3G or 4G LTE.

You might also try texting HELP or SUBSCRIBE to the short code you are trying to get 2FA from.

If they reply, see if these now might come through.

SilverStandard

@0PX9O4 

It's all my accounts that have 2FA enabled that I am not receiving the text from.

Maybe 5 days ago.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SilverStandard 

I've never had problems with 2FA codes. What service are you having trouble receiving codes from?

How long ago did you switch to PM ?

Need Help? Let's chat.