cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth swapping from "rewards" to "points"?

linnie53
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Right now, I get around $5 back in points from autopay and loyalty. Is there any benefit from going to the public mobile points system? How much could I expect to get instead? They say how to get points and how many points I get, but there isn't anything on what the points are worth. I'm assuming its something ridiculous like 100 points is equivalent to $1...

10 REPLIES 10

Interesting choice of gif @Chalupa_Batman  😕

@linnie53 , the ONLY way I'd say Public Points are worth it is IF you are a longer time customer and you definitely plan on leaving this provider within a year or so.   That way, you'd get all the rewards converted to points on the transition, then use them to lower your bill.

Then port out once the points are used up.

Otherwise, as the 'wise' Taylor Swift would sing, don't Ever, Ever, Ever, Ever, move to Public Points.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

I will add to this.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1700522192629.gif

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Only YOU can answer that question After calculation how much credit you get Now vs how much would you get after switching to Points.
Same as asking 'which car/TV/phone/computer/etc.' should I purchase? Research, research, read PM community forum. Read what customers say...

So true @ottawa 

Last Black Friday, everyone rushed to get the $20 off for the $55 deals

this year is even better, $34 for 30GB, kinda forever, easy and simple

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

@linnie53 

you got many answers for NO, here are the comparison between the old and new and you can tell why not

in summary  

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less UNLESS you have the $40 plan or above

And it's getting harder to be on a plan that's >$40 (this week at least). 🙂

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@linnie53 

you got many answers for NO, here are the comparison between the old and new and you can tell why not

in summary  

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less UNLESS you have the $40 plan or above
    (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more loyalty rewards, meaning the loyalty discount of $1/month up to $5/month will be gone. Instead, they will only give $10 each year on the anniversary.
    1st to 12th month:     Legacy system will give $0 that year, versus $10 at the end of the 12th month with thew new system
    13th to 24th month:  Legacy system will give $12 that year ($1/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 24th month with the new system
    25th to 36th month:  Legacy will give $24 that year ($2/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 36th month with the new system
     61st and beyond: Legacy will give $60/year ($5/cycle) versus $10/year on the anniversary day under the new system 

3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot
    Also, you have to remember to convert your points to dollars once it reaches 15 points.  PM no longer automatic apply the reward discount.

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,
           - 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well
           - add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
           - you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone 
              (Unfortunately, this goodies on the new system is gone)

linnie53
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks :] I guess its a safe assumption to make that any change they make wouldn't put money in my pocket 🙄

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI@linnie53 simple answer, NO  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@linnie53   No, not worth it especially because of the decrease in value for loyalty..

edit:  to clarify to your other point, 1 point is equal to $1, however, loyalty points are reduced to 10 points ($10) per year and you would need to accumulate at least 15 points before being able to redeem for $15 account credit.  You have the option to purchase add-ons for a bit of discount though..

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!

Yes I think it's about 1c/pt and it works out to 5% back? There's no value in switching to Points until they force us to, with one edge-case exception which I may be misremembering: if you're planning to move away from PM (presumably move out of Canada 🙂 in a couple of months.

I think (maybe) they give you a one-time bonus that's effectively $1 for each month you've been a customer. For me that's 9 years, so I would consider it if it really is a $108 one-time bonus. That's from memory of doing the math when they announced it, and I think it only takes a few months to end up behind anyway.

But in normal circumstances, if you're planning to stay with PM, NO! 😉

Need Help? Let's chat.