cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have at least 100 min US and Canada Long Distance - why can't I do any texting in the US?

JuniorJunior
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in the US in January, and tried to text - but got a series of messages from PubMobile stating that 'my plan can't do text in the US' and tried to get me to sign up for extra...

I have at least 100 min US and Canada Long Distance - why can't I do any texting in the US?

18 REPLIES 18

JuniorJunior

Screenshot_20220217-083039.png

 the screenshot is just a short segment of the annoying repetitive texts that PM kept sending me!!!  ... it is driving me nuts!

I always have roaming off in my phone (not that it really matters since I don’t have roaming service with PM) and I am still able to use service via a US cell site (I believe).

AE_Collector

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AE_Collector 

Do would it be better for @JuniorJunior to have roaming on or off to get border service? Keeping in mind pretty soon he won't have voice service in the US anyways when 3G is eliminated.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

So you are in the Detroit/Windsor area. Your Canada/US LD calling add-on doesn’t give you service in the USA. But being very close to Canada you may have been close enough to get service from Canada. Also, presumably the “Border Zone” is in place there like here in BC. It allows you Canadian service from US Cell towers (and visa  versa) that are very close to the border. This is in place to prevent endless roaming charge complaints from people on plans that allow roaming to be added to their bill.

AE_Collector

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@JuniorJunior 

You have had your service for nearly 4 years so you will be coming up to earning another year of your loyalty reward bumping it up to $4 per month. With the $2 autopay reward that's $6 off your bill. If you pop into the community once a week or so and ask a question or two or read up on a few threads on topics you are interested in and reply or comment you may contribute and earn enough bravos to earn a $1 or $2 community reward. That will lower your bill to $7 or $8.

Assuming that you may have a smartphone downloading (on wifi) a voip app (such as fongo or textnow or both) and choosing a local number will allow you to use it on wifi or mobile data (avg. 0.5mb=1min/250mb=500min). You can also then use the voip phone number to call your voicemail so that you don't use your plans 100 outgoing minutes to check your pm voicemail.

Call your pm number from your voip #. When your voicemail connects press "*" and enter your 4 digit voicemail pin #. You then have full access to your voicemail services.

It will also allow you to call most North American long distance destinations for free. While in the US you can use the voip number to call and text while on free wifi and/or if you are travelling in the US for a week or so then you can purchase one of the US 10 day roaming data add ons ($10/250mb, $15/500mb, $20/1gb)** so that you use the voip number when away from free wifi and it's really needed.

** I believe a tellatone sim/plan for $10/1gb/30 days was mentioned by @BKNS27 as a cheap US mobile provider...lol...if I got the name correct?🤔

Even without a US roaming add on you will recieve incoming pm text messages and return texts on voip # and if you call forward your pm number to your voip number before leaving Canada and remove the pm sim card so it doesn't connect to a US tower then your incoming pm calls will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or go to voicemail when not.**

If you travel close to the US/Canada border for day trips ensuring roaming is off (don't worry there are no extra charges or overages at pm) and choosing to connect to the 3G network only in your phone settings you will find you may connect to bell or telus towers in certain areas while on the US side for calls and outgoing texts. If it works then it's included in your plan services.

In future  when you have time if you have further questions about US roaming, data saving tips or other pm or phone stuff start a new topic with your query and the community will chime in.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

JuniorJunior

Thank you so much, 'darlicious', for the logical explanation!  Yes, I have the basic $15 plan, since I only use the cell phone for on the road/urgent/emergency purposes, kinda like getting insurance - you keep paying simply for the occasional needs.   And when I suddenly realized that it didn't work - and luckily it wasn't an emergency.  Never the less, it was frustrating.  And because I am in the Windsor-Detroit area, we do cross to the US fairly frequently, and since my wife & I are retired seniors, getting the additional add-ons that have a short shelve life is unsustainable.   ... wonder if this community can offer some ideas for my situation.   Again, I want to thank everyone for the help.

@JuniorJunior 

Do you have the $15 plan? If you have an unlimited plan then you have called the US from Canada and used 38 minutes. If you have a limited minute plan or a provincial calling plan then you have used 38 minutes calling across Canada if you used up all of your plan minutes and/or called the US from Canada.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@JuniorJunior 

Send a private message instead as I agree Simple--Simon is exceedingly stupid.

JuniorJunior

Thanks to all that tried to help me!!!  I really appreciate all comments - but I don't think...   Here is the thing: I know when I paid for it, it was NOT the good for 10 days deal - in fact it is still showing on my account "200 min US and Canada Long Distance.  38/200 min"   As I have used some, so it shows 38/200 min.  And 'Smon' is aggravatingly stupid!   I wanted to put in a support ticket, but stupid simon just got me going round-n-round...

JuniorJunior

Thanks to all that tried to help me!!!  I really appreciate all comments - but I don't think...   Here is the thing: I know when I paid for it, it was NOT the good for 10 days deal - in fact it is still showing on my account "200 min US and Canada Long Distance.  38/200 min"   As I have used some, so it shows 38/200 min.  And 'Smon' is aggravatingly stupid!   I wanted to put in a support ticket, but stupid simon just got me going round-n-round...

@JuniorJunior wrote:

I paid extra for the additional 200 min of "US and Canada Long Distance" - why can't I do any call/texting in the US?  I was able to use a little bit of the minutes before - and they're supposed to be 'till used up!' - but it will not allow that now.  Why?

You’re certain that you used some of the 200 minutes to call (not text - two different things) when in the USA in the past? Not likely unless maybe you were within a few km of Canada still. The 200 minutes of Long Distance is to make Long Distance calls from Canada to the USA. It will also allow you to call anywhere in Canada if your monthly plan is one of the old provincial calling (only) plans AND it will allow calls anywhere in Canada if you are on a monthly plan with a limited number of calling minutes and you’ve used them all up.

AE_Collector

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JuniorJunior   You will need some kind of "Roaming" plan or add-on to be able to use your service outside of Canada.  All carriers are selling this as this is what they make big money out of   🙂

But, luckily, we have VoIP app to fight back.  Next time you go US, download apps like TextNow, or Talkatone as another member here will recommend later., they will give you a Canadian phone number, you can receive and make calls and text on the app. It works as long as you have data or Wifi everywhere in the world  🙂

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@JuniorJunior wrote:

I was in the US in January, and tried to text - but got a series of messages from PubMobile stating that 'my plan can't do text in the US' and tried to get me to sign up for extra...

Your 100 min US/CA have nothing to do with inability to SMS from US. Those call minutes work from Canada only.

While in US if you want to use PM's services you have to buy US add-on:

US ROAMING ADD-ONS

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JuniorJunior : The fine print:

---------

6. Talk, text and data services refer to services offered while connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network. For service when not connected to the Telus/Public Mobile network, a roaming package must be purchased. Calls must originate from Canada to the US.

-----------

... or in the US to the US and Canada with roaming add-ons.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@JuniorJunior 

You had purchased the old long distance add on of $8/200 min US/Canada long distance calling minutes which is good for calling from Canada to the US or across Canada.

Even if it was good for calling within the US or you bought the US 10 day roaming talk add on you still would not be able to send text messages. You would have to buy one of the US 10 day roaming bundles with text or the US 10 day roaming add on for texts.

Edit:

No roaming add on is needed to recieve text messages while in the US with your pm service.

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin#

@JuniorJunior  - the only calling Roaming addon available is unlimited, but lasts for only 10 days (240 hours to be exact).

esjliv_0-1644240589223.png

Is this the addon you had on your account?

How long ago did you purchase it? If it was within 240 hours ago, you are going to have to wait to buy the addon again to add it on. 

So, just making sure...you WERE able to make calls and texts okay, until just recently?

If you need it now rather than later, i get that.

So CSA could likely help add it on for you ahead of time (before the 240 hours are up).

Two ways to contact CSA:

1- Put in a ticket through SIMon Bot (usually faster method to get in contact with the Public Mobile Customer Support) by clicking on the bottom, right chat bubble.
OR
2- Private message the Customer Support here (slower method): https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

JuniorJunior

I paid extra for the additional 200 min of "US and Canada Long Distance" - why can't I do any call/texting in the US?  I was able to use a little bit of the minutes before - and they're supposed to be 'till used up!' - but it will not allow that now.  Why?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JuniorJunior  - all Public Mobile plans are for use whilst you are in Canada only.

In order to have services in the USA, you will require to purchase ROAMING ADDONS.

Try calling 611 or logging into self serve to purchase these.

You should still be able to receive texts, though in USA, without additional adds.

EDIT: steps to follow for purchasing addons through self serve here: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

Need Help? Let's chat.