cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't get incoming calls

Hanni
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Most of my incoming calls seem to go to voicemail and do not ring at all. I did look this up and tried switching my sim card into an older phone then back into my current phone, it did not seem to make a difference. I really need my incoming to be working. I appreciate any help, thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I've been seeing a lot of customers have this issue, luckily (knock on wood) I haven't experienced this yet 

@softech wrote:

Setup a VoIP app, like TextNow or Fongo,

I really cannot recommend Fongo as call quality is very low, it does not connect calls every time, it ring sound is cracking like it will break connection next second. Telling from experience...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Hanni   Is your outgoing call working without issues?

Have you try changing to 3G ONLY/WCDMA ONLY on your Preferred Network Type?   If it works, let it stay that way for couple days

Also, are incoming calls working better outside of your current area?  If so, that could be a network issue in your area

If your outgoing calls working, to help you without lossing incoming calls, you can try this until the issue is resolved.  Setup a VoIP app, like TextNow or Fongo, pick a new number for the app.  Then Forward call when unavailable to this VoIP phone number.  As long as you have Wifi or Mobile Data, when incoming calls not come via  to your PM number, they will get forwarded to your VoIP app and your app will ring.   It could be a feasible workaround for now

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Hanni  - you did a good test with trying your SIM into another phone to see if calls come in. This likely means it is not a device setting.

If if you have activated a new account and transferred over from another provider, note that incoming calls are usually the last to port over.

So use the previous provider's SIM card to receive calls from. When the incoming calls stop that is a good indication the port is complete.

Cell ports can take 2-3 hours.

Landline/voip ports can take 3+ days.

If issues porting or transferring a number to Public Mobile and you are past those times it takes to port, you can submit a ticket directly for porting issues, here, for help: https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/chatbot.html?botId=ZJkWuVb7Hp6EEcTIZKMZbvLwuDV&duid=1ml7MK2dvkmM37lFcEM...

If this is not related to porting over a number, and other suggestions are not working, then see @Spudster methods to connect with a customer support agent and inquire about your account.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

System is really sensitive regarding incoming calls. If connection is not really stable, system will think phone is off and will redirect calls to vmail. I assume you are not blocking these numbers and have no any kind of restrictions as you said 'most of incoming calls'. are going to vmail. So some are getting through...

You can do a test: get free TextNow of Fongo app, get free local number and call your coll number. Watch for number of signal bars. Then call from cell to voip app.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Spudster 

Lol...short and sweet and the long and winding road.....

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If after the awesome suggestions by @HALIMACS & @darlicious you still can't seem to get incoming calls, I think it's time to poke PM's Customer Support.

There are 2 ways to reach them:

1. Create a support ticket by clicking  here , then type Support Ticket, then select Contact Us, then select the topic that more closely matches your requestThen click  Click here to submit a ticket , or,
  2. Send a private message to them by clicking here  

You’ll see their reply in your Community private mailbox in the envelope to the left of your avatar.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Hanni 

Has the issue been occurring since your last renewal? Or a longer? Almost all the time? There are 4 common reasons for calls going straight to voicemail.

1. You ported in your number and it has not completed yet, it's stuck or it has failed. In this case your incoming calling is going to your (old provider"s) voice mail. Not your case I believe but as an FYI....
  2. A SIM card provisioning issue. This can occur after renewal or reactivating after a longer suspension. It can be a sign of a failing sim card or it can just happen....?
  3. A poor 3G network signal. All voice calls on pm use the 3G network. Calls will default to voicemail if the network connection cannot maintain a stable enough signal. This can be as simple to fix as rebooting your phone or toggling airplane mode on/off or hard to overcome as distance from the closest tower, topography like mountains or valleys or impediments like buildings, trees or the construction materials of your residence.
  4. Cell tower equipment upgrades. The big 3 are all carrying out extensive tower upgrades when it comes to how it affects pm customers in particular it causes a delay in it switching from the 4G LTE network to the 3G network and if it is delayed long enough it will default to voice mail. Switching to 3G only on your phone for a week or two while the work on your local cell towers is completed will solve the issue (data and texts work on both networks.)

If after trying the simple fixes suggested and you believe it's a provisioning issue you can try a network reset but you will have to re-sign into your saved WiFi and other password protected networks.

Edit: Crap I hit post by accident.....better success is usually achieved by logging into your self serve account and making a manual top up $1 payment to your account balance. Log out and reboot.

Or logging into your self serve account and going to the plans or usage page and click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and reboot. This usually works but if you are on the old rewards program your rewards will not apply upon renewal and you will have to contact customer support after renewal to have them applied manually by a CSA. 

Or lastly....or second to lastly contact customer support to reprovision your sim card and reset your account.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account in your private messages only include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Hanni 

Try these fixes:

•  Try rebooting your device
  • ensure airplane mode is not enabled
  • ensure do not disturb is not enabled
  • ensure the number calling you is not on a blocked senders list
  • disable any call-forwarding features/settings
  • turn off Bluetooth -- it's possible the 'ringing' is going through to a Bluetooth device instead of device's speakers
  • remove and reinsert your SIM card
  • reset network connections

Need Help? Let's chat.